Why do Blacks vote mostly Democrat? The truth about the KKK

05 Nov 2010 10:30 #1 by The Viking
Please watch this video and really educate yourself before responding. It really is an eye opener and tells the truth about who founded the KKK and why, and which party has fought the hardest to keep Black Americans held down and treated them as second class citizens. It is so worth the watch. Then someone answer my question. Why do the majority of Black Americans fight for and vote for the party that fought so hard against them? And why do they fight so hard against and vote against, the party fought so hard for them, that gave then all of their freedoms and are the main reason they are equal citizens today? Other than welfare, I don't understand why they support the Dems in such skewed numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRM00LPW ... re=related

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Nov 2010 10:38 #2 by Wayne Harrison
It wasn't that Republicans didn't get the black vote. The did, but they lost it in the early 1930s and culminating in the late 40s.

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of the change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.

It wasn't until Harry Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948 that a majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats. Earlier that year Truman had issued an order desegregating the armed services and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment.

Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960.

But then President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year, still a record for any presidential election.

The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.

05 Nov 2010 10:51 #3 by FredHayek
Blacks used to support the GOP, the party of Lincoln, the Great Emancipator. And the local Dems of the South liked to keep the black vote down.
But in the 1960's & 1970's, the GOP made a big play for white southern Dems who were concerned their party had become liberal. This encouraged blacks to stay with the Dems.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

05 Nov 2010 10:58 #4 by The Viking

Pineguy wrote: It wasn't that Republicans didn't get the black vote. The did, but they lost it in the early 1930s and culminating in the late 40s.

The election of Roosevelt in 1932 marked the beginning of the change. He got 71 percent of the black vote for president in 1936 and did nearly that well in the next two elections, according to historical figures kept by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies. But even then, the number of blacks identifying themselves as Republicans was about the same as the number who thought of themselves as Democrats.

It wasn't until Harry Truman garnered 77 percent of the black vote in 1948 that a majority of blacks reported that they thought of themselves as Democrats. Earlier that year Truman had issued an order desegregating the armed services and an executive order setting up regulations against racial bias in federal employment.

Even after that, Republican nominees continued to get a large slice of the black vote for several elections. Dwight D. Eisenhower got 39 percent in 1956, and Richard Nixon got 32 percent in his narrow loss to John F. Kennedy in 1960.

But then President Lyndon B. Johnson pushed through the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964 (outlawing segregation in public places) and his eventual Republican opponent, Sen. Barry Goldwater, opposed it. Johnson got 94 percent of the black vote that year, still a record for any presidential election.

The following year Johnson signed the 1965 Voting Rights Act. No Republican presidential candidate has gotten more than 15 percent of the black vote since.

By why do they forget that the so called 'Sothern Bloc' of Democrats in 1964 fought this so hard and fillibustered to try and stop giving them equal rights? Robert Byrd who Black AMericans kept voting for up until his death last year, fillibustered for over 14 hours and still called people 'niggers' on TV up until a few years ago. Why would they vote for a man like that and for a party that fought so hard against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and made sure it was atered down?

05 Nov 2010 11:01 #5 by The Viking

SS109 wrote: Blacks used to support the GOP, the party of Lincoln, the Great Emancipator. And the local Dems of the South liked to keep the black vote down.
But in the 1960's & 1970's, the GOP made a big play for white southern Dems who were concerned their party had become liberal. This encouraged blacks to stay with the Dems.

OK that makes sense but are you saying that the Republicans campaigned 'against' blacks back then or just campaigned 'for' certain candidates who weren't black? And Black Americans took that as they were 'against' blacks in congress instead of 'against' liberal policies?

05 Nov 2010 11:10 #6 by Wayne Harrison

The Viking wrote: By why do they forget that the so called 'Sothern Bloc' of Democrats in 1964 fought this so hard and fillibustered to try and stop giving them equal rights? Robert Byrd who Black AMericans kept voting for up until his death last year, fillibustered for over 14 hours and still called people 'niggers' on TV up until a few years ago. Why would they vote for a man like that and for a party that fought so hard against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and made sure it was atered down?

I have no idea. It could be because they'd rather vote for the party that has more Blacks as members and candidates. You'd have to ask them.

That 'Southern Block' of Democrats in 1964 reminds me of the Republican Party of today.. being dragged kicking and fighting into the 21st Century, with regards to minorities and then bragging because they had the first Black Republican since reconstruction elected in the South.

“Nonetheless, the ability of South Carolina’s white Republicans to get behind a black candidate, even a conservative one, may strike some political observers as remarkable, particularly because South Carolina is arguably the most unlikely of all Southern states to host such a racial breakthrough,” wrote Newsweek’s Ben Adler.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/02/tim-s ... z14QdmYWo2

A better question to ask is why has it taken so long for the Republican Party to embrace Blacks as equals?

05 Nov 2010 11:20 #7 by The Viking

Pineguy wrote:

The Viking wrote: By why do they forget that the so called 'Sothern Bloc' of Democrats in 1964 fought this so hard and fillibustered to try and stop giving them equal rights? Robert Byrd who Black AMericans kept voting for up until his death last year, fillibustered for over 14 hours and still called people 'niggers' on TV up until a few years ago. Why would they vote for a man like that and for a party that fought so hard against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and made sure it was atered down?

I have no idea. It could be because they'd rather vote for the party that has more Blacks as members and candidates. You'd have to ask them.

That 'Southern Block' of Democrats in 1964 reminds me of the Republican Party of today.. being dragged kicking and fighting into the 21st Century, with regards to minorities and then bragging because they had the first Black Republican since reconstruction elected in the South.

“Nonetheless, the ability of South Carolina’s white Republicans to get behind a black candidate, even a conservative one, may strike some political observers as remarkable, particularly because South Carolina is arguably the most unlikely of all Southern states to host such a racial breakthrough,” wrote Newsweek’s Ben Adler.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/02/tim-s ... z14QdmYWo2

A better question to ask is why has it taken so long for the Republican Party to embrace Blacks as equals?

They have never stopped. They just can't get black Americans to run because for decades the Democrats and the media have called black Americans who run as Republicans, 'Uncle Tom' and supress the minority vote and get them to vote against their own race just because of the party they are affiliated with. So you have the White Dems and the majority of the Balck Dems voting against the Black republican so not many wanted to run and be called names like that and terated like that. It is the Dems who finally are treating Black Republicans with respect, ever since Bush appointed Condoleezza Rice and Collin Powell to the highest of offices. I think that was a turning point and is finally starting to get Black Americans to not be afraid to be called a Republican.

05 Nov 2010 11:36 #8 by Wayne Harrison
I think you put too much stock in the media and shift the blame.

Blacks have been called many vile things through the years. I'm almost certain being called a "Republican" is not one of the things that scares them.

05 Nov 2010 11:42 #9 by The Viking

Pineguy wrote: I think you put too much stock in the media and shift the blame.

Blacks have been called many vile things through the years. I'm almost certain being called a "Republican" is not one of the things that scares them.

Are you saying that the Democrats never called Black Repbulicans 'Uncle Tom'? They even called Colin Powell that over and over again.

05 Nov 2010 11:46 #10 by Wayne Harrison
I know blacks have called other blacks Uncle Tom. I didn't stop to ask their party affiliation. Uncle Tom, from my understanding, has more to do with crossing racial barriers than party affiliations.

What I'm getting from you and Nymsys is that the fact that Republicans haven't been inclusive over the years -- particularly to blacks -- is not the Republican Party's fault, but the media.

I think it's a piss poor excuse.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds