House GOP stalls bill on lunches for needy kids

02 Dec 2010 10:41 #21 by JusSayin

Scruffy wrote: This is the right thread.

We spend $2,000,000,000 a week on the war in Iraq and we don't have money for this?

You're right, Scruff. Feed the little beggars MRE's. :thumbsup:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Dec 2010 10:47 #22 by Residenttroll returns
Welcome to America's Public School.....we teach your kids homosexuality, secularism, and feed them fat foods - and we do it for free!

America's 2010 Free Anything Teaching (FAT 2010) Education Program - Gay, Godless, and Obese; but, Happy!

02 Dec 2010 10:58 #23 by LadyJazzer

Nobody that matters wrote:

LadyJazzer wrote: Sorry, I can't hear you... You have me on IGNORE...

Did he mention that he has LJ on IGNORE??!

Oh, good...For a minute I thought he was going to remind us all that he has LJ on IGNORE...

I'm glad that he mentioned that he has LJ on IGNORE, so we'll be sure to know that HE HAS LJ ON IGNORE...

rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol:

Pssst... LJ.... He didn't mention he has you on ignore. I think you cutnpasted the wrong standardized LJ message from your file.

Pssst... I know he didn't this time... Perhaps you don't understand "sarcasm" when you see it.

02 Dec 2010 11:46 #24 by PrintSmith
Must be an old cut and paste from Scruffy as well. The combat operations in Iraq are no more Scruffy - or did you miss that tidbit of information somewhere along the line. I highly doubt that the ongoing expenditures for the remaining security forces in Iraq are anywhere near the $2 Billion a month figure that you pulled from who knows where.

02 Dec 2010 11:54 #25 by FredHayek

LadyJazzer wrote: Yeah, all those parents who had good jobs before the Bush Recession got them laid off, through no fault of their own, should have seen it coming and just not "popped them out."

But we'll be sure to guarantee that Paris Hilton will keep her tax-break... (It just won't be paid for.)

It isn't the Bush Recession, it is the Great Obama Recession. Isn't it time for Barack to claim it? Or maybe it is Bernanke's since Obama seems strangely detached from stepping up to solving it. I hear he is packing for Hawaii right now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Dec 2010 11:58 #26 by PrintSmith
With regards to the free or reduced cost school breakfast/lunch program, I wonder how many of you have relatives or friends who work in the public school system. The school is required to offer/provide a balanced meal and every child is required to take the offerings. As soon as they exit the line there is a trash can that collects all the fruits, vegetables, milk, juice and other items that the children, who are all so hungry that our federal and state tax dollars must be used to feed them, don't want to eat even though the progressives would have us believe they are all on the brink of starvation. But, of course, it is a government program so extreme amounts of waste are to be expected as part and parcel of the program. It isn't enough that the offerings are there to be taken if wanted. No, it is required that they be distributed even if they are not going to be consumed. The amount of additional money being sought would not even be necessary if the children who are so poor that their parents sign them up for the free/reduced cost food were simply allowed to choose what they will eat from the available options the school provides rather than being forced to take what they will not eat or drink because some remote government bureaucrat in the nation's capital decreed that they must do so to participate in the program.

02 Dec 2010 12:03 #27 by Scruffy

PrintSmith wrote: Must be an old cut and paste from Scruffy as well. The combat operations in Iraq are no more Scruffy - or did you miss that tidbit of information somewhere along the line. I highly doubt that the ongoing expenditures for the remaining security forces in Iraq are anywhere near the $2 Billion a month figure that you pulled from who knows where.

Doesn't really matter if operations in Iraq are over, it still is costing us money. Here, you can check it out for yourself:
http://costofwar.com/

In case you don't want to click on it, the total for the two current wars to date is over $1,115,000,000,000. That's over a trillion dollars so far. Sure could feed a lot of kids, or pay down our debt, or build some schools, or.....

Oh, and here's a link to more information on the cost of the war(s) that I pulled from who knows where:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_ ... e_Iraq_War

As of February 2010, around $704 billion has been spent based on estimates of current expenditure rates, which range from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) estimate of $2 billion per week to $12 billion a month, an estimate by economist Joseph Stiglitz.

02 Dec 2010 12:06 #28 by Scruffy

PrintSmith wrote: With regards to the free or reduced cost school breakfast/lunch program, I wonder how many of you have relatives or friends who work in the public school system. The school is required to offer/provide a balanced meal and every child is required to take the offerings. As soon as they exit the line there is a trash can that collects all the fruits, vegetables, milk, juice and other items that the children, who are all so hungry that our federal and state tax dollars must be used to feed them, don't want to eat even though the progressives would have us believe they are all on the brink of starvation. But, of course, it is a government program so extreme amounts of waste are to be expected as part and parcel of the program. It isn't enough that the offerings are there to be taken if wanted. No, it is required that they be distributed even if they are not going to be consumed. The amount of additional money being sought would not even be necessary if the children who are so poor that their parents sign them up for the free/reduced cost food were simply allowed to choose what they will eat from the available options the school provides rather than being forced to take what they will not eat or drink because some remote government bureaucrat in the nation's capital decreed that they must do so to participate in the program.

Not sure to what schools you are referring, but at Conifer High and West Jeff Middle, children are allowed to pick and choose "a la carte" what they want so there is little waste.

02 Dec 2010 12:16 #29 by PrintSmith
Sure, the security forces in Iraq are still costing us money. The forces in Korea, Japan, Germany, Great Britain, France and everywhere else across the globe are still costing us money as well. And I find it quite possible that the total cost is $2 Billion a month, but the portion of that being spent for the remaining security forces in Iraq doesn't even come close to approaching that figure. If you are going to engage in hyperbole, I am going to call you on it. Gross misrepresentation and gross exaggeration to make a partisan point will be challenged. You said Iraq was costing us $2 Billion a month and I (correctly) threw the Bovine Scat flag in regards to that claim. Obama claims that Afghanistan is where we need to be fighting and has altered the course of the nation accordingly. We are spending a lot of money in Afghanistan, which is where the President promised to direct our efforts if the voters elected him. The majority of the money now being spent is being spent where the progressives have said the money needs to be spent, in Afghanistan, where they allege the problem lies and the Bush administration failed to properly address the problem from the get go.

02 Dec 2010 12:20 #30 by Scruffy
Here's a link to more information on the cost of the war that I pulled from who knows where:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_ ... e_Iraq_War

As of February 2010, around $704 billion has been spent based on estimates of current expenditure rates, which range from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) estimate of $2 billion per week to $12 billion a month, an estimate by economist Joseph Stiglitz.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds