Fox News Study Confirms a Stupid Education Makes you Liberal

16 Dec 2010 20:18 #31 by jf1acai
I've joined lots of groups, but never have gotten around to joining procrastinators anonymous :biggrin:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2010 20:25 #32 by archer

jf1acai wrote: I've joined lots of groups, but never have gotten around to joining procrastinators anonymous :biggrin:

Did they finally get around to forming that group? I heard it was supposed to happen, but didn't, then they were going to, but didn't.....last I heard they put it off indefinitly.

16 Dec 2010 20:30 #33 by jf1acai
You may be right - never put off until tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Dec 2010 21:08 #34 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote: [Statements like yours disgust me and make me glad I am not a conservative, I would hate to be like you and look down on my fellow Americans because they don't think like me or share my shallow values.

And yet, you do it so often.

nice try at a "you do it too" defense, but I respect my fellow Amercans, conservatives, liberals, and everone inbetween.....I happen to think that diversity is what makes us great.....I have never wished that it be otherwise.
Can you say the same for your fellow conservative posters here?

Just stating a fact.

The problem with that retort is that a fact to you is your opinion re-labeled as fact......that dog won't hunt.

I guess nmysis answered the question I asked you, letting you off the hook".

I do not think I need to be let off the hook. I do not get the impression that you even understood what my comment referred to, so I will try and be more clear. I did not say that conservatives do not make sweeping generalizations.
I was referring to your habit of using sweeping generalizations of conservatives to condemn A conservative for making sweeping generalizations. I find that ironic and hypocritical.
I hope that makes it more clear, if not sorry. If you can not see what I am talking about, that is fine. It is not worth much discussion.
BTW, I consider myself a libertarian, not a conservative.

16 Dec 2010 21:12 #35 by archer

neptunechimney wrote: BTW, I consider myself a libertarian, not a conservative.

Perhaps you can enlighten me, what differentiates a libertarian from a conservative. Seriously, I would like to know. I see the terms used interchangably on occasion, then I see a post like yours that seems to want to draw a clear differentiation, otherwise you wouldn't have stated it as you did.

16 Dec 2010 21:27 #36 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

Perhaps you can enlighten me, what differentiates a libertarian from a conservative. Seriously, I would like to know. I see the terms used interchangably on occasion, then I see a post like yours that seems to want to draw a clear differentiation, otherwise you wouldn't have stated it as you did.

Socially liberal, fiscally conservative.

16 Dec 2010 21:38 #37 by archer

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote:

hmmmmm....that would make me a libertarian too, but that just doesn't make sense. I have made it clear on here about my fiscally conservative views, I disagree with just about everything the congress has done about spending except for the lame attempt to fix healthcare (I finally decided something was better than nothing when it came to peoples lives), but no one here has ever accused me of being a libertarian.

16 Dec 2010 21:57 #38 by Blazer Bob

archer wrote:

neptunechimney wrote:

archer wrote:

hmmmmm....that would make me a libertarian too, but that just doesn't make sense. I have made it clear on here about my fiscally conservative views, I disagree with just about everything the congress has done about spending except for the lame attempt to fix healthcare (I finally decided something was better than nothing when it came to peoples lives), but no one here has ever accused me of being a libertarian.

And you think I am a conservitive. You know what they say about the difficulties of communicating on msg boards.

This flushes it out some:

"What is libertarianism?
Libertarianism is, as the name implies, the belief in liberty. Libertarians strive for a free, peaceful, abundant world where each individual has the maximum opportunity to pursue his or her dreams and to realize his full potential.

The core idea is simply stated, but profound and far-reaching in its implications. Libertarians believe that each person owns his own life and property, and has the right to make his own choices as to how he lives his life – as long as he simply respects the same right of others to do the same."

http://www.libertarianism.com/

16 Dec 2010 22:09 #39 by archer
It seems a little simplistic......how could anyone disagree with that definition....until you start really thinking about it. I certainly agree with having the right to make ones own choices, and respecting others rights to do the same, but how does that fit in with taking care of the nation as a whole? I would think that being a social liberal would conflict with that.....social programs do take taxes from people and use them for the benefit of others.....some people never recieve the benefits paid for by their taxes, yet I see the need to take care of those less fortunate than myself.....I just want the money i pay in taxes to be spent wisely, where it will do the most good, not on pet projects and gifts to those who are not in need.

If you look to a nation that allows each person to achieve their potential, then that nation must give each person full equality.....equal access to a good education, equal access to those social perks associated with such joinings as marriage, no matter what their sexual leanings, equal, or just, taxation based on real income, not on some complicated tax code that is designed to benefit the wealthier, equal access to health care (and a whole host of other issues that I can't think of right now).......that is the only way I see liberty for all. Or am I missing the whole point here?

I freely admit to being somewhat confused on what libertarian really means in the practical sense, not the theory.

16 Dec 2010 22:11 #40 by Residenttroll returns
What is is libertarianism? Fence sitting.

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds