Definition of Atheism.

23 Dec 2010 13:05 #31 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

Sunshine Girl wrote:

The Viking wrote:

SeasonsGreetings wrote:

The Viking wrote:

SeasonsGreetings wrote: I'm not an atheist, but wouldn't one definition of God read something like your graphic, only insisting that God came out of nothing magically and created everything in six days, since he was all-powerful and could make anything from nothing... so why even go through the billions of years it could take to form the universe and planets to let life gain a foothold and evolve?

Why start with amoebas? Poof! Here's Adam and Eve. Poof! Cows and trees. Instant Earth.

And then God, who is all powerful and all knowing and who created the Universe, suddenly becomes tired and has to rest on the seventh day? That makes about as much sense.

I'm not saying it didn't happen that way, just pointing out if you're going to question the atheist approach shouldn't you also question other ideas with the same fervor as well?

Did I say I questioned it? I just put up the definition? Is it wrong?

Did I say you questioned it? I just put up an alternate definition for discussion.

Is it wrong? Since no one has figured out how the Universe began, it's impossible to determine, but it does make for a fascinating discussion.

Yes you did say I questioned it. (Highlighted above) I didn't. Just posted a fun post and people sure get defensive!

Of course you are questioning an atheists' beliefs and making fun of them. Question is why would you? I would never do that to anyone else regardless of who they pray to or what they believe in.

No, I just posted a cute picture that was sent to me. I thought it was funny and sure didn't think people would get all upset about it. You and your family have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2010 13:20 #32 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

Sunshine Girl wrote: Not as hard to grasp as one might think! :wink: :biggrin:

Speaking of which.....Wasn't your Avatar pic taken at Little Bear? :Whistle :Whistle :Whistle rofllol

23 Dec 2010 13:49 #33 by Sunshine Girl
Yeppers! That was a wonderful night. :biggrin:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Dec 2010 12:23 #34 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Definition of Atheism.
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... ess_he.php
Those atheists sure do seem to like Christmas!
Of course, there was this one post that made me laugh:

Posted by: tk.icepick Author Profile Page | December 25, 2010 10:37 AM
Merry Christmas Everyone!

Don't forget that this day is remembered for the birth of our lord Carl Sagan, who stole Science from the gods...

(BTW, he was born on Nov 9th).

There's plenty of other humor in the talkback, and lots of Merry Christmasing going on...
Edit to add: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... h.php#more

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Dec 2010 12:25 #35 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Definition of Atheism.

The Viking wrote:

Speaking of which.....Wasn't your Avatar pic taken at Little Bear? :Whistle :Whistle :Whistle rofllol

Do the big names in music still drop in at the Little Bear for impromtu gigs? I have not heard anything of this bar for 20 years.

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Dec 2010 12:32 #36 by Sunshine Girl

major bean wrote:

The Viking wrote:

Do the big names in music still drop in at the Little Bear for impromtu gigs? I have not heard anything of this bar for 20 years.

I think it's more lesser names now. :(((

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 Dec 2010 12:40 #37 by major bean
Replied by major bean on topic Definition of Atheism.
There seems to have been a mogul or two for the record industry living in Evergreen back in the 60s and 70s. Artists like Michael Martin Murphey, John Denver, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, etc., had some sort of professional ties to the town. After Willie lost his ranch in upper Bear Creek to the IRS there seemed to much less appearances at the Little Bear by big names.

Regards,
Major Bean

26 Dec 2010 13:54 #38 by Residenttroll returns
If you're a atheist do you believe in haunted houses?

26 Dec 2010 13:55 #39 by Residenttroll returns
If you're a atheist do you believe in ghosts and haunted houses?

26 Dec 2010 15:30 #40 by LadyJazzer
Replied by LadyJazzer on topic Definition of Atheism.
Actually, it was more the change in musical tastes and the fact that Little Bear stopped paying decent money for the bands that play there. In the 70's, the groups like Firefall, Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers, and the early incarnation of the The Eagles, played there. Then musical tastes changed, and that kind of country-rock crossover music wasn't as popular with crowds, and the bands that were so good at it were starting to do the large concert-venues and places like Little Bear couldn't afford them any more. (Firefall still plays there once in awhile, but they are not considered an "A"-list band any more.)

But yes, I'm sure somehow (in your mind) it's because the IRS busted Willie for non-payment of taxes... Yeah, that must be it. That's why Little Bear doesn't have as many A-list bands appearing...

Sheesh....

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds