Definition of Atheism.

23 Dec 2010 11:48 #1 by The Viking
Now I understand it!!! Merry CHRISTmas Everyone!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2010 11:50 #2 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Definition of Atheism.
Happy Xmas.

23 Dec 2010 11:51 #3 by Travelingirl
Replied by Travelingirl on topic Definition of Atheism.
Merry CHRISTmas Viking! :drinkxmas:

23 Dec 2010 11:54 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Definition of Atheism.
Viking you know I love you but........ reindeer::

help!!!!

23 Dec 2010 11:56 #5 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Definition of Atheism.
Makes perfect sense if you have none.

Good one Viking!! Merry Xmas!!!!!!!!

23 Dec 2010 12:02 #6 by Wayne Harrison
I'm not an atheist, but wouldn't one definition of God read something like your graphic, only insisting that God came out of nothing magically and created everything in six days, since he was all-powerful and could make anything from nothing... so why even go through the billions of years it could take to form the universe and planets to let life gain a foothold and evolve?

Why start with amoebas? Poof! Here's Adam and Eve. Poof! Cows and trees. Instant Earth.

And then God, who is all powerful and all knowing and who created the Universe, suddenly becomes tired and has to rest on the seventh day? That makes about as much sense.

I'm not saying it didn't happen that way, just pointing out if you're going to question the atheist approach shouldn't you also question other ideas with the same fervor as well?

23 Dec 2010 12:07 #7 by Sunshine Girl
Oh God!!!!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

23 Dec 2010 12:08 #8 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

SeasonsGreetings wrote: I'm not an atheist, but wouldn't one definition of God read something like your graphic, only insisting that God came out of nothing magically and created everything in six days, since he was all-powerful and could make anything from nothing... so why even go through the billions of years it could take to form the universe and planets to let life gain a foothold and evolve?

Why start with amoebas? Poof! Here's Adam and Eve. Poof! Cows and trees. Instant Earth.

And then God, who is all powerful and all knowing and who created the Universe, suddenly becomes tired and has to rest on the seventh day? That makes about as much sense.

I'm not saying it didn't happen that way, just pointing out if you're going to question the atheist approach shouldn't you also question other ideas with the same fervor as well?

Did I say I questioned it? I just put up the definition? Is it wrong?

23 Dec 2010 12:09 #9 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Definition of Atheism.

There is, unfortunately, some disagreement about the definition of atheism. It is interesting to note that most of that disagreement comes from theists — atheists themselves tend to agree on what atheism means. Christians in particular dispute the definition used by atheists and insist that atheism means something very different.

The broader, and more common, understanding of atheism among atheists is quite simply "not believing in any gods." No claims or denials are made — an atheist is just a person who does not happen to be a theist. Sometimes this broader understanding is called "weak" or "implicit" atheism. Most good, complete dictionaries readily support this.

There also exists a narrower sort of atheism, sometimes called "strong" or "explicit" atheism. With this type, the atheist explicitly denies the existence of any gods — making a strong claim which will deserve support at some point. Some atheists do this and others may do this with regards to certain specific gods but not with others. Thus, a person may lack belief in one god, but deny the existence of another god.

http://atheism.about.com/od/definitiono ... nition.htm

23 Dec 2010 12:10 #10 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

Sunshine Girl wrote: Oh God!!!!

There you go!!! :thumbsup:

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds