Definition of Atheism.

23 Dec 2010 12:34 #21 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote:

SeasonsGreetings wrote:

The Viking wrote:

SeasonsGreetings wrote: I'm not an atheist, but wouldn't one definition of God read something like your graphic, only insisting that God came out of nothing magically and created everything in six days, since he was all-powerful and could make anything from nothing... so why even go through the billions of years it could take to form the universe and planets to let life gain a foothold and evolve?

Why start with amoebas? Poof! Here's Adam and Eve. Poof! Cows and trees. Instant Earth.

And then God, who is all powerful and all knowing and who created the Universe, suddenly becomes tired and has to rest on the seventh day? That makes about as much sense.

I'm not saying it didn't happen that way, just pointing out if you're going to question the atheist approach shouldn't you also question other ideas with the same fervor as well?

Did I say I questioned it? I just put up the definition? Is it wrong?

Did I say you questioned it? I just put up an alternate definition for discussion.

Is it wrong? Since no one has figured out how the Universe began, it's impossible to determine, but it does make for a fascinating discussion.

Yes you did say I questioned it. (Highlighted above) I didn't. Just posted a fun post and people sure get defensive!

Of course you are questioning an atheists' beliefs and making fun of them. Question is why would you? I would never do that to anyone else regardless of who they pray to or what they believe in.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Dec 2010 12:34 #22 by Wayne Harrison

The Viking wrote: Yes you did say I questioned it.

My bad. Sorry Vike.

I posted an alternate view hoping to get a conversation going. The origin of the universe is a favorite topic of mine. I love reading Stephen Hawking's explanation of it.

23 Dec 2010 12:36 #23 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote: Yes you did say I questioned it. (Highlighted above) I didn't. Just posted a fun post and people sure get defensive!

You put up a baiting post, trolling for reactions, and you got them.

I feel sorry for those of you with no sense of humor who have to use the word baiting for anything they don't like. I am glad I live a happy life where I can laugh at things and enjoy it. I can see many of you are so bitter on here you can't really enjoy a good laugh. Merry Christmas everyone. I am gone for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. Travleing and loving life.

23 Dec 2010 12:37 #24 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Definition of Atheism.

SeasonsGreetings wrote:

The Viking wrote: Yes you did say I questioned it.

My bad. Sorry Vike.

I posted an alternate view hoping to get a conversation going. The origin of the universe is a favorite topic of mine. I love reading Stephen Hawking's explanation of it.

No problem. Just pointing it out. I would love to disucss it more sometime but am running out the door and won't be on much for a couple weeks. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

23 Dec 2010 12:38 #25 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

Funny story...Awhile back there was this really cute guy that I had the major hots for. I knew what church he went to up here and decided to show up there to be able to see him (I know, sounds like a stalker huh?). Well anyways, after three times of going, I just couldn't do it anymore. Two problems. One: Clevage. I liked it. A few others ~ not so much. Oh well. Two: He was really into what they were saying and I just couldn't get my mind around it at all. Different strokes for different folks. Good news for him though....he lost his stalker. rofllol

So you are saying that you couldn't get your mind around the message and he couldn't get a grasp around all of your cleavage?........I can see that....... rofllol

I don't know if he even knew I existed. Maybe if he could have gotten a grasp of the cleavage then I would have tried harder to get a grasp of the message. But I doubt. :Whistle I sure would have enjoyed trying more though. tongue: :thumbsup:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

23 Dec 2010 12:38 #26 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Definition of Atheism.
Viking have a great trip and a nice holiday.

23 Dec 2010 12:39 #27 by Scruffy
Replied by Scruffy on topic Definition of Atheism.

The Viking wrote:

Scruffy wrote:

The Viking wrote: Yes you did say I questioned it. (Highlighted above) I didn't. Just posted a fun post and people sure get defensive!

You put up a baiting post, trolling for reactions, and you got them.

I feel sorry for those of you with no sense of humor who have to use the word baiting for anything they don't like. I am glad I live a happy life where I can laugh at things and enjoy it. I can see many of you are so bitter on here you can't really enjoy a good laugh. Merry Christmas everyone. I am gone for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. Travleing and loving life.

You can say that, Viking, but I am positive it's not true. You posted that because you knew it would get a trolling reaction.

23 Dec 2010 12:41 #28 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic Definition of Atheism.
Some subjects are hard to get a grasp on....

:wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

23 Dec 2010 12:54 #29 by Sunshine Girl
Not as hard to grasp as one might think! :wink: :biggrin:

23 Dec 2010 13:04 #30 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Definition of Atheism.

The Viking wrote: I feel sorry for those of you with no sense of humor who have to use the word baiting for anything they don't like. I am glad I live a happy life where I can laugh at things and enjoy it. I can see many of you are so bitter on here you can't really enjoy a good laugh. Merry Christmas everyone. I am gone for a couple weeks starting tomorrow. Travleing and loving life.

The point SG is trying to make is that you may have found it funny, but to an atheist it wasn't. Atheism is much more complex than that little cartoon can even begin to describe. http://www.investigatingatheism.info/definition.html
Laugh at your own religion first.

Some humor from one of my favorite atheist scientist's (yes, they have a sense of humor too):
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... s.php#more
Carolomics?
Category: Weirdness
Posted on: December 22, 2010

They've associated a 7-character amino acid sequence (for instance, FALALAA or NAVIDAD) with a common Christmas carol ("Deck the Halls" or "Feliz Navidad"), and searched GenBank for all instances, and they're calling this the Carolome. Now maybe this means there's a little bit of Christmas in all of us, except…when I scanned through the list of organisms carrying carol-associated sequences, I noticed a marked shortage of human sequences. In fact, none were listed at all. The christmasy organisms mostly seem to be bacteria, with a few fungi and protists thrown in, with one exception: "Ave Maria" seems to turn up in pigs and rats.

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... e.php#more
This would be reassuring if he weren't imaginary
Category: Humor
Posted on: December 20, 2010

And a comedian:
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2010/12/ ... n-atheist/
A Holiday Message From Ricky Gervais: Why I’m an Atheist
December 19, 2010, 9:00 AM ET

The dictionary definition of God is “a supernatural creator and overseer of the universe.” Included in this definition are all deities, goddesses and supernatural beings. Since the beginning of recorded history, which is defined by the invention of writing by the Sumerians around 6,000 years ago, historians have cataloged over 3700 supernatural beings, of which 2870 can be considered deities.

So next time someone tells me they believe in God, I’ll say “Oh which one? Zeus? Hades? Jupiter? Mars? Odin? Thor? Krishna? Vishnu? Ra?…” If they say “Just God. I only believe in the one God,” I’ll point out that they are nearly as atheistic as me. I don’t believe in 2,870 gods, and they don’t believe in 2,869.

So what does the question “Why don’t you believe in God?” really mean. I think when someone asks that they are really questioning their own belief. In a way they are asking “what makes you so special?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds