Hawaii's governor takes on birthers

26 Dec 2010 13:10 #1 by ScienceChic
Might this finally put the matter to rest?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40806789/ns ... ork_times/
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG
The New York Times
updated 12/25/2010 5:54:01 AM ET

HONOLULU — Gov. Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii, who befriended President Obama’s parents when they were university students here, has been in office for less than three weeks.

But he is so incensed over “birthers” — the conspiracy theorists who assert that Mr. Obama was born in Kenya and was thus not eligible to become president — that he is seeking ways to change state policy to allow him to release additional proof that the president was born in Honolulu in 1961.

“It’s an insult to his mother and to his father, and I knew his mother and father; they were my friends, and I have an emotional interest in that,” Governor Abercrombie said in a telephone interview late Thursday. “It’s an emotional insult. It is disrespectful to the president; it is disrespectful to the office.”

The birther movement began during the 2008 campaign when some of Mr. Obama’s critics claimed, without offering proof, that he was born in Kenya, like his father, Barack Obama Sr. The Obama campaign ultimately responded by releasing a “certification of live birth,” an official document from the Hawaii Department of Health, and posting it online.

Two fact-checking groups, FactCheck.org and PolitiFact, concluded the document was authentic.

A reporter for The Honolulu Advertiser also found two separate newspaper announcements of the president’s birth, one in The Advertiser on Aug. 13, 1961, and another in The Honolulu Star-Bulletin the next day.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Dec 2010 13:46 #2 by Residenttroll returns
1. How is this insulting to the Governor? Did he witness the birth of the messyiah?

2. I can get a birth certificate printed from my home state today. It's not the original birth certificate but it's an authentic state birth certificate printed in 2010. I also have an original copy of my birth certificate too. Why can't we see the ORIGINAL birth certificate?

26 Dec 2010 14:04 #3 by Nmysys
SC:

The article starts off saying that the Governor and the President's parents were good friends. Knowing what we do know about the parents, this article actually makes me more suspicious. I will wait till he gets the laws changed and actually shows the official record of the birth before I accept this. Thanks for the attempt, but a newspaper article doesn't prove anything.

I do hope you and your family had a great Christmas (XMAS).

26 Dec 2010 14:20 #4 by Scruffy
Well, when you have proof that he is not a natural born American, please be sure to post it.

Hey, look! We have a whole thread in the ring devoted to this subject! 8 pages and nobody could bring any evidence against Obama being a natural born citizen!

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href=" 285bound.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5872 " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5872<!-- l -->

26 Dec 2010 14:25 #5 by Nmysys
Hey Look!!!!!!!!!!!! No one has proved he is an American Born either as far as I am concerned. Which Comes first their school teacher??? The Chicken or the egg??

26 Dec 2010 14:55 #6 by Scruffy

Nmysys wrote: Hey Look!!!!!!!!!!!! No one has proved he is an American Born either as far as I am concerned. Which Comes first their school teacher??? The Chicken or the egg??

He has been vetted by the United States Government. If he had not been, then he wold not have been allowed on the ballot. If you have proof, Nmysys, then please post it. Until then, he is a legal naturalized American.

26 Dec 2010 15:11 #7 by Nmysys
Can you show proof that he was vetted by the government?

26 Dec 2010 15:15 #8 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Might this finally put the matter to rest?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40806789/ns ... ork_times/
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG
The New York Times
updated 12/25/2010 5:54:01 AM ET

HONOLULU — Gov. Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii, who befriended President Obama’s parents when they were university students here, has been in office for less than three weeks.

But he is so incensed over “birthers” — the conspiracy theorists who assert that Mr. Obama was born in Kenya and was thus not eligible to become president — that he is seeking ways to change state policy to allow him to release additional proof that the president was born in Honolulu in 1961.

rofllol rofllol :lol: This is ironic beyond my capacity to grasp it all. This guy with a d after his name wants to change state law(policy) it allow additional documentation regarding the Presidents citizenship. It seems this is applauded by the left.
If this guy had a r after his name he would be denounced by every element of the left for trying to do this.

26 Dec 2010 15:19 - 26 Dec 2010 15:32 #9 by Blazer Bob

26 Dec 2010 15:27 #10 by Residenttroll returns
There was no vetting....that's why states are trying to pass legislature that requires a presidential candidate to provide proof they meet the requirements of the U.S. Constitution before they print their names on the ballots.

It you don't illegal immigration hurts America....look at the White House today.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds