Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leade

11 Feb 2011 21:58 #11 by Residenttroll returns
Now - if we could only get a few million youth to rally against Obama in major cities because of high unemployment, high student loans, illegals taking the entry level jobs...oops, that will not work...they're too busy playing XBox and writing about the effects of climate change.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Feb 2011 22:42 #12 by FredHayek
Stratfor's CEO tonight is saying this was a bloodless military coup. Months ago, Hosni was trying to create a dynasty with his son and the military tried to fight it, the protests, allowed the military to play their hand. But now that the protests have given the public a taste of freedom will the military be able to ride that tiger?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Feb 2011 12:05 #13 by lionshead2010
This sounds very promising but talk is cheap....and I'm not sure the people of Egypt are in the mood for games. We will see.

Egypt Army Commits To Power Transfer, Israel Peace

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/26 ... etail.html

The spokesman, Gen. Mohsen el-Fangari, appeared on state TV in front of a row of Egyptian military and national flags and read the council statement, proclaiming respect for the rule of law - perhaps a sign that the military aims to avoid imposing martial law.

The military is "looking forward to a peaceful transition, for a free democratic system, to permit an elected civil authority to be in charge of the country, to build a democratic free nation," he said....

The military also called on the "current government and provincial governors to continue their activities until a new government is formed," el-Fangari said. The statement did not address when a new government would be formed.

How does the old saying go? "Don't TELL what you are going to do, SHOW me what you are going to do?

Or Toby Keith's "A Little Less Talk and A Lot More Action". :thumbsup:

12 Feb 2011 12:18 #14 by LadyJazzer
Yep. Sure sounds like it's all a dreadful ruse... The people taking peaceful control of their own destiny must be some communist plot to further the "global caliphate", or something....

12 Feb 2011 12:19 #15 by ScienceChic
Just an opinion piece, but the sentiments surprised me a little. I hope that their embrace of democratic ideals is indeed strong, for that will bring more security to the U.S. in the long-run than what we've been doing.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/op ... 47934.html
The resurrection of pan-Arabism
The Egyptian revolution has resurrected a new type of pan-Arabism, based on social justice not empty slogans.
Lamis Andoni Last Modified: 11 Feb 2011

The Egyptian revolution, itself influenced by the Tunisian uprising, has resurrected a new sense of pan-Arabism based on the struggle for social justice and freedom. The overwhelming support for the Egyptian revolutionaries across the Arab world reflects a sense of unity in the rejection of tyrannical, or at least authoritarian, leaders, corruption and the rule of a small financial and political elite.

But this is not an exact replica of the pan-Arab nationalism of those days. Then, pan-Arabism was a direct response to Western domination and the 1948 establishment of the state of Israel. Today, it is a reaction to the absence of democratic freedoms and the inequitable distribution of wealth across the Arab world. We are now witnessing the emergence of a movement for democracy that transcends narrow nationalism or even pan-Arab nationalism and which embraces universal human values that echo from north to south and east to west. This is not to say that there is no anti-imperialist element within the current movement. But the protests in Egypt and elsewhere promote a deeper understanding of human emancipation, which forms the real basis for freedom from both repression and foreign domination.

Unlike the pan-Arabism of the past, the new movement represents an intrinsic belief that it is freedom from fear and human dignity that enables people to build better societies and to create a future of hope and prosperity. The old "wisdom" of past revolutionaries that liberation from foreign domination precedes the struggle for democracy has fallen. Events in Egypt and Tunisia have revealed that Arab unity against internal repression is stronger than that against a foreign threat - neither the American occupation of Iraq nor the Israeli occupation galvanised the Arab people in the way that a single act by a young Tunisian who chose to set himself alight rather than live in humiliation and poverty has.

In the 1950s and 1960s, millions of Arabs poured onto the streets determined to continue the liberation of the Arab world from the remnants of colonial domination and the creeping American hegemony. In 2011, millions have poured onto the streets determined not only to ensure their freedom but also to ensure that the mistakes of previous generations are not repeated. Slogans against a foreign enemy - no matter how legitimate - ring hollow if the struggle for democratic freedoms is set aside.

For this is a genuine Arab unity galvanised by the common yearning for democratic freedoms.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Feb 2011 12:24 #16 by lionshead2010

LadyJazzer wrote: Yep. Sure sounds like it's all a dreadful ruse... The people taking peaceful control of their own destiny must be some communist plot to further the "global caliphate", or something....

You are such a sweet heart LJ. :Whistle

Actually, I don't have a beef at all with "the people taking peaceful control of their own destiny." That is as it should be. My concern is the involvement of the military in the process...and I'm a career Army officer. I don't know if you noticed..but historically military leaders sometimes have a hardtime letting go of the leads when it's time to hand the power over to civilian control. I say the sooner they hand it over, the better.

I hope the people run their country and not some military council.

12 Feb 2011 12:45 #17 by ScienceChic
It sounds like the Egyptian people aren't too trusting either:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-0 ... aties.html
Egypt’s Military Pledges Move to Democracy, Backs All Treaties
February 12, 2011

Welcoming the army’s role, the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt’s main opposition group, called for an end to the state of emergency, for Parliament to be dissolved and for “free and fair elections under judicial supervision,” it said in an e- mailed statement today.

Thousands of Egyptians gathered today in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, the focus of the biggest protests, helping to clear rubbish left by demonstrations that had turned to celebrations late yesterday. Some said they would continue to protest until the army gave a clear schedule for constitutional reforms and elections.

“We are not going to leave until all our demands are met” said Hany Mikael, 26, a clothes producer. “We are waiting now for the army’s statement on their next step with a clear timeline on how they will form the transitional government.”

“We’re thrilled,” said Waleed Rashed, a co-founder of Six of April Youth, a youth-activist group that helped organize the first protest on Jan. 25. “There are a lot of things still to be worked out, but we trust the army to supervise the transitional period. We hope things will be better. If they are not, we now know the way.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Feb 2011 04:20 #18 by lionshead2010

LadyJazzer wrote: Yep. Sure sounds like it's all a dreadful ruse... The people taking peaceful control of their own destiny must be some communist plot to further the "global caliphate", or something....

We will entitle this, "People Taking Peaceful Control of Their Own Destiny" if you are okay with that LJ.

Editorial: What Egyptians Really Want

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysi ... o-Want.htm

Islamofascism: Romantics in Western media expect "democracy" to flower from the anti-Mubarak rioting in Cairo. But polling shows Egyptians actually seek strict Islamic rule.

According to a major survey conducted last year by the Pew Research Center, adults in Egypt don't crave Western-style democracy, as pundits have blithely trumpeted throughout coverage of the unrest...Far from it, the vast majority of them want a larger role for Islam in government.

• 49% of Egyptians say Islam plays only a "small role" in public affairs under President Hosni Mubarak, while 95% prefer the religion play a "large role in politics."

• 84% favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim faith.

• 82% support stoning adulterers.

• 77% think thieves should have their hands cut off.

• 54% support a law segregating women from men in the workplace.

• 54% believe suicide bombings that kill civilians can be justified.

• Nearly half support the terrorist group Hamas.

• 30% have a favorable opinion of Hezbollah.

• 20% maintain positive views of al-Qaida and Osama bin Laden.

• 82% of Egyptians dislike the U.S. — the highest unfavorable rating among the 18 Muslim nations Pew surveyed.

Egyptians are revolting against Western-style democracy. The Pew poll reveals they do not, in fact, value our principles of individual freedoms, human rights and separation of religion and state.

So don't let ME rain on your crazy little parade. But can I get you on record as being in favor of more religion and prayer in government, the death penalty for people who don't believe in Islam, stoning for adulterers, cutting thieve's hands off and segregating women in the workplace? That sure sound like a "democratic agenda" to me LJ. Am I misreading you sweetheart? Sounds like a little slice of heaven to me and feel we MUST integrate these values into the fabric of American life. rofllol

13 Feb 2011 08:05 #19 by LadyJazzer
More of your "shallow anti-Muslim hatred hiding behind patriotic pretenses", none of which has any serious relevance to the apparently non-extremist revolution going on in Egypt.

Take your extremist anti-Islamist hysteria somewhere else. It's not our job to install American style democracy (and so-called christianity) all over the world. (That would be George Bush's pipe dream--and failure.) But let me know how that works out for ya... rofllol

"Global caliphate"? rofllol :lol: rofllol :lol: Give me a break... Even O'Reilly is calling Beck "looney tunes"...

[youtube:1s6l5vl8]
[/youtube:1s6l5vl8]

Now THAT is funny... "Pot, meet Kettle"

Bill O'Reilly Dismisses Beck's Egypt Theory: 'No Evidence'

During the weekly "At Your Beck And Call" segment on his Friday show, Bill O'Reilly dismissed Glenn Beck's theory about the Egyptian revolution--namely, that it marks the beginning of an alliance between Communists and Islamic fundamentalists and will lead to a new caliphate across the Middle East and into Europe.

Beck repeated the theory to a skeptical O'Reilly, saying that the world is "seeing the beginning of the 'coming insurrection.'"

He said that the goal of the movement was "revolution" and "the end of the Western way of life," and that it would end in a caliphate. He also repeated his assertion that a recent New York Times article had validated this theory, because it showed that the Egyptian revolution was being organized by people from a wide range of political ideologies.

"I don't know if that's news to anyone," O'Reilly said. The Internet, he continued, made it much easier for people to say, "'everybody show up in the square.'"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/1 ... 22343.html

13 Feb 2011 09:19 #20 by Rick
LJ completely missed (or ignored) your point Lionshead. You only posted what Egyptians what based on that survey. So LJ, what part of that post was anti-Muslim? Seems to me he just posted poll results......do you not agree with those?

Instead of deflecting to an Orielly/Beck video, why not give an oppinion of the results of that poll?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds