Egypt's Mubarak resigns as leade

16 Feb 2011 07:43 #41 by lionshead2010
Outdoor...please don't say I "slapped" her or she will be citing me as her lone example of brutality against women in a Christian culture.

She won't address the questions directly....a liberal trait. How does LJ say it, "imagine the surprise in my voice"? :biggrin:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Feb 2011 10:19 #42 by appleannie
So sorry - I swing by 285bound now & then but I have a busy life offline and other places to hang online. Just now getting a chance to pop back in. Lionshead, to answer your question, I spent a couple of years living in Egypt. Over half that time in an area with very few foreigners.

What do I make of the assault? it appalls me, just like that kind of thing does when it happens anywhere else, especially when onlookers refuse to get involved to rescue the victim. My point is that it happens in entirely too many places, including the good ol' US of A. Stupid to pretend it doesn't.

16 Feb 2011 11:10 - 16 Feb 2011 12:59 #43 by lionshead2010
Fair enough then. You lived in Egypt and don't have any issues with how women are treated there or the rest of the Muslim world. I was just curious.

But you still haven't told me what color niqqab you are wearing or whether or not your husband allows you to drive.

16 Feb 2011 12:58 #44 by lionshead2010
Egypt's harassed women need their own revolution

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/02/ ... rrassment/

News of the chilling attack on CBS reporter Lara Logan, as well as other sexual assaults against women during Egypt's uprising, show that attacks against women have not gone away...

If you are a woman living in Cairo, chances are you have been sexually harassed. It happens on the streets, on crowded buses, in the workplace, in schools, and even in a doctor's office.

According to a 2008 survey of 1,010 women conducted by the Egyptian Center for Women's rights, 98 percent of foreign women and 83 percent of Egyptian women have been sexually harassed....

Sara, a young Egyptian activist, told me that the concept of respect for some reason doesn't exist anymore. "I think Egypt has lived a very long time in denial. Something happened in Egyptian society in the last 30 or 40 years. It feels like the whole social diagram has collapsed."

But the only real protection women can have is when the attitudes of men change

..."98 percent of foreign women and 83 percent of Egyptian women have been sexually harassed.."

I don't know about you, but this sounds JUST like anytown U.S.A.. I'm certain that at least 83% of American women are sexually harrassed. I can see where people can hardly see a difference between The US and Egypt. :faint:

16 Feb 2011 13:37 #45 by Pony Soldier

appleannie wrote: So sorry - I swing by 285bound now & then but I have a busy life offline and other places to hang online. Just now getting a chance to pop back in. Lionshead, to answer your question, I spent a couple of years living in Egypt. Over half that time in an area with very few foreigners.

What do I make of the assault? it appalls me, just like that kind of thing does when it happens anywhere else, especially when onlookers refuse to get involved to rescue the victim. My point is that it happens in entirely too many places, including the good ol' US of A. Stupid to pretend it doesn't.

Hi appleannie!! Long time, no see!

16 Feb 2011 15:10 #46 by appleannie
Hiya, tower. Long time, no talk to. :wave:

16 Feb 2011 15:54 #47 by outdoor338
crickets chirping, sun going down and appleannie is silent...amazing!

16 Feb 2011 19:26 #48 by Pony Soldier
I have heard that Egypt has slipped from a very open society to a more closed, sharia compliant society over the last twenty years. I don't have any sources for this however.

16 Feb 2011 20:57 #49 by appleannie

towermonkey wrote: I have heard that Egypt has slipped from a very open society to a more closed, sharia compliant society over the last twenty years. I don't have any sources for this however.

(shrug) Not what I hear. Still have a few contacts (American ex-pats) living there and one old friend, who is actually a Coptic Christian from Cairo - met her when she married one of the Americans who went over for the project and most of her family still live there - thinks things have improved some.

17 Feb 2011 16:56 #50 by mudguppy
Hey appleannie, are you living under a cardboard box? You might want to get a note off to your friend - make sure she's still alive:

http://www.eauk.org/articles/support-fo ... stians.cfm

"Support for Coptic Christians attacked at New Year service

It was supposed to be a celebration of new beginnings. But tragically many Christians who attended the New Year's Eve mass at the Church of Saints Mark and Peter in Alexandria, Egypt, were killed just minutes into 2011.

Shortly after midnight, a bomb exploded outside the church where more than 1,000 worshippers had gathered to pray in the New Year.

It caused a scene of devastation, with horrific sights around the church that had just minutes before been a place of hope for the future.

At least 22 people have been killed in the attacks and around 80 injured, but numbers could yet rise.

The latest reports from Egypt with many people killed and injured in a targeted bomb attack is the latest in a string of similar reports over the last few months from Nigeria, Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan."

No radical Islamic movement against Christians to see here, move along, move along!

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds