Do you Think Teachers Unions should be disbanded?

10 Mar 2011 12:14 #231 by Pony Soldier

PrintSmith wrote: And why is that TM?

I simply don't believe, in the politically charged climate, numbers that aren't backed up. According to your numbers the benefits rose 44% in a two year period. BS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 13:06 #232 by PrintSmith
They are numbers that came from the Milwaukee Public Schools and were verified by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

According to the Excel file, from the link you provided, 2010 MPS average teacher salary, which would have been for the fiscal year that ended in June of 2010, was already $56K a year, with an average fringe benefit package of over $30K a year - totaling over $86K a year. The difference between $86K and $101K isn't 44%, it's more like 17.5% over two years, an average increase of 8.75% a year. The salary increase from $56K to $59.5K would be a modest 3.125% a year for 2 years to reach the $59.5K for the fiscal year starting in July of this year. We can all agree that health insurance costs have gone up quite a bit in the last 2 years and we know that pension contributions are not a static figure, they are increased along with the pay since they are a percentage of the salary received.

I'm sorry TM, but I don't think a 17.5% increase in total compensation over a two year time period rises to the level of bovine scat. I have no idea of where you are coming up with a 44% jump. Perhaps if you are comparing the Milwaukee numbers I used to the state average you might get there, but that would be an error since you would need to compare the Milwaukee figures in both instances to come up with an accurate rise, or state averages in both instances. Using the state average as the baseline isn't accurate, you need to start with the Milwaukee baseline to correctly compute the increase.

10 Mar 2011 14:22 #233 by Pony Soldier
I will have to look at the spreadsheet again and verify as your numbers don't match with the number I cited a few posts back. Its quite possible that I'm wrong on this as I have been into the vicodin.

10 Mar 2011 14:28 #234 by Pony Soldier
Oh hell. I hate it when that happens. I looked up Madison, not Milwaukee. Please disregard me as a raving lunatic. My apologies.

10 Mar 2011 14:40 #235 by PrintSmith
No worries TM. Even I make a mistake from time to time. :wink:

10 Mar 2011 15:27 #236 by Blazer Bob

towermonkey wrote: Oh hell. I hate it when that happens. I looked up Madison, not Milwaukee. Please disregard me as a raving lunatic. My apologies.

towermonkey wrote: K, but you just lost a great deal of credibility with me.

:Whistle

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds