And you wonder why Republicans are not taken seriously

11 Mar 2011 12:24 #1 by Something the Dog Said
The Colorado legislature has taken up legislation to require schools to provide time for students to physically exericise, to improve fitness, combat obesity, improve attentiveness in class, etc. However:

"Sen. Scott Renfroe, R-Greeley, thought the bill overstepped the bounds of the state government and had troubling implications for young boys. Renfroe said regimented physical activity could get in the way of “boys being boys,” and could lead to “the feminization of our boys.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/201 ... sshomeblog

So according to this Colorado Republican, sports and exercise can lead to "sissy" boys?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2011 12:32 #2 by AspenValley
So why are Republican men so scared to death of losing their manhood these days?

11 Mar 2011 12:35 #3 by PrintSmith
One can only wonder what relevant information Glazier and you have chosen to remove in the pursuit of your partisan politics this time Dog. Is it perhaps the type of exercise that has been deemed politically proper that led the Senator to make his comments? We'll never know because, wonder of wonders, what Senator Renfroe was commenting on specifically is not referenced in either the commentary of Glazier or yourself.

11 Mar 2011 12:38 #4 by Nmysys
AV:

Maybe it has something to do with the Feminization of men caused by women telling us we have to find the feminine side of us!! You think?

Since the womens' movement gained momentum a few decades ago, women have portrayed themselves as not needing men any longer. Then women set out to figuratively castrate men. You created generations of girlie men and now you ask the question, what happened!!

Seems obvious!

11 Mar 2011 12:41 #5 by Something the Dog Said

PrintSmith wrote: One can only wonder what relevant information Glazier and you have chosen to remove in the pursuit of your partisan politics this time Dog. Is it perhaps the type of exercise that has been deemed politically proper that led the Senator to make his comments? We'll never know because, wonder of wonders, what Senator Renfroe was commenting on specifically is not referenced in either the commentary of Glazier or yourself.

Res Ipsa Loquitur Perhaps you can provide deep insight to Sen. Renfroes thought process, otherwise his comments stand as spoken by him.
Do you really believe that providing time for physical exercise is simply "political correctness", and thus since you have assigned this label to it, must be avoided at all costs?

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

11 Mar 2011 12:41 #6 by kresspin
Kudos for the spin and deflection from the OP, Nym.

11 Mar 2011 12:46 #7 by Nmysys

Kudos for the spin and deflection from the OP, Nym.

Just addressing your question!!! Wasn't trying to spin or deflect.

11 Mar 2011 12:47 #8 by AspenValley

Nmysys wrote: AV:

Maybe it has something to do with the Feminization of men caused by women telling us we have to find the feminine side of us!! You think?

Since the womens' movement gained momentum a few decades ago, women have portrayed themselves as not needing men any longer. Then women set out to figuratively castrate men. You created generations of girlie men and now you ask the question, what happened!!

Seems obvious!

Generations of girlie men? That's a bit strong. I think it is true that BOTH sexes have moved a little closer in their attitudes and behaviors but I'd hardly call it a catastrophe. (By the way, I've never yet met a man who would have gotten "feminized" by me telling him to. I can't even get my husband to pick up his socks.)

I'm also the mother of two sons and as far as I can tell they are far from being girlie girls. Much more interested in guns than dolls, that's for sure.

I really think this is concern is overblown. If men feel "castrated", I'd say it's probably more of a little disorientation over the changes that have taken place in the culture in the last 40 years. We're all still adjusting. I think women also feel at times as if there gender roles have changed in ways they don't always like. I don't think we'd want to go way backwards on that. I think in general there is less stress on men to bear all the burden of earning a living for a family and less stress on women because they are getting more help around the house from men. Again, not a catastrophe unless you insist on really rigid gender roles. Personally, I'm glad I don't live in Saudi Arabia. :biggrin:

11 Mar 2011 12:50 #9 by Nmysys
Something:

One Republican's comments alone is not the basis of determining what all Republicans stand for. That's like my saying Bill Clinton was a man whore therefore all Democrats are man whores!!!

Well maybe that is carrying things too far, since, never mind!!! LOL

11 Mar 2011 12:52 - 11 Mar 2011 13:06 #10 by Obam me
Oh...I don't know...I think Renfroe has a valid point. Richard Simmons promoting P.E. at the Capital?? Now THAT is icky!!

[youtube:3rqaadv6]
[/youtube:3rqaadv6]

Edited to add...

This is the Man they should have invited to the capital...

[youtube:3rqaadv6]
[/youtube:3rqaadv6]

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds