Obama: US launches military action against Libya

19 Mar 2011 16:44 #1 by outdoor338
BRASILIA, Brazil - President Barack Obama authorized limited military action against Libya Saturday, saying Moammar Gadhafi's continued assault on his own people left the U.S. and its international partners with no other choice. The Pentagon said 112 cruise missiles were launched from US and UK ships and subs, hitting 20 targets.

Obama said military action was not his first choice.

"This is not an outcome the U.S. or any of our partners sought," Obama said from Brazil, where he is starting a five-day visit to Latin America. "We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy."

A senior military official said the U.S. launched air defenses Saturday with strikes along the Libyan coast that were launched by Navy vessels in the Mediterranean. The official said the assault would unfold in stages and target air defense installations around Tripoli, the capital, and a coastal area south of Benghazi, the rebel stronghold.

http://www.startribune.com/world/118295 ... aLDyE7DyaU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Mar 2011 17:43 #2 by archer
so what do you think outdoor...is this the right thing to be doing?

19 Mar 2011 18:16 #3 by outdoor338
right action, wrong president!

19 Mar 2011 18:28 #4 by major bean
This the wrong action and wrong president.

Regards,
Major Bean

19 Mar 2011 18:34 #5 by outdoor338
I would say, if it was just the US, I would agree with you. At least there are other country's involved..SA strangely silent...

19 Mar 2011 18:38 #6 by archer

outdoor338 wrote: right action, wrong president!

What do you mean by that? That no matter what he does, even if it's the right thing.....you are against him?

19 Mar 2011 18:42 #7 by outdoor338
archer, obama is a moron...this should have happened last week..how many died so far? You elected him...do you think he is a good leader of the free world? I sure don't..JMTCW

19 Mar 2011 19:23 #8 by archer
Outdoor....Obama is not a moron...if he had done this last week we would have been doing it alone, it is much smarter to do this through the UN and have a coalition.....we cannot afford the appearance of another cowboy war like Iraq.

19 Mar 2011 19:37 #9 by pineinthegrass

outdoor338 wrote: archer, obama is a moron...this should have happened last week..how many died so far? You elected him...do you think he is a good leader of the free world? I sure don't..JMTCW

I can't seem to find the post where you called for Obama to take action in Libya last week. But I must of missed it...

19 Mar 2011 20:05 #10 by Blazer Bob
http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/ ... bamas-war/

March 19, 2011
Obama’s War
Walter Russell Mead
“Vote for a Republican,” my grandfather used to say, “and you get a depression. Vote for a Democrat and you get a war.” That seemed like a pretty good rule of thumb in the twentieth century: Warren Harding and Herbert Hoover gave us depressions, and Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman and Jack Kennedy (with an assist from Lyndon Johnson) all gave us wars.

Then came the twenty first century and all bets were off. George W. Bush gave us two wars and a depression; President Obama has already presided over two slack economic years and now seems bent on giving us his first war.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds