So where are the stars this time?

02 Apr 2011 09:29 #1 by CinnamonGirl
So where are the stars this time? was created by CinnamonGirl
I found it odd that there was no Japan relief television program with the stars after the japan disaster. I think because Japan is is perceived as not as poor they didn't feel sorry for them or something? With Haiti and the Indian tsunami, they had all kinds of 'Let's help the world" events. Did I miss it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Apr 2011 09:43 #2 by Rick
Good point CG. I'm sure Americans have donated more than any other country but I think we are getting to the point where we are buried in our own financial problems. I donated $20 to the Red Cross which I know isn't much, but I felt like I had to do something regardless of how broke I am.

I do wonder how much more our government can afford to spend on foreign aid when that is just borrowed money added on top of a mountain of mind boggling debt. When the big one hits California, who will come to our aid?

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

02 Apr 2011 09:50 #3 by FredHayek
NPR was discussing this too.
Japan hasn't asked for a lot of aid and has turned down some offers. Part of it is pride, but part of it is the belief that such aid should be reserved for poorer countries.
Even months later, Haitians are still in much worse shape than the Japanese are right now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

02 Apr 2011 09:54 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic So where are the stars this time?
I always thought those shows were stupid and more about the stars 'feeling' like they were wonderful for helping rather than about the victims. But I wonder if they really do make a difference or not. My son called it. He told me straight off they would not do it and they didn't.

02 Apr 2011 10:37 #5 by Mayhem
The same question I posed regarding New Zealand. The response to New Zealand on this board mirrored that of Hollyweird. No self aggrandizement to be had raising money for white people, and Japanese are pretty much considered white.

02 Apr 2011 10:57 #6 by CinnamonGirl
I doubt it had anything to do with being white. That was not my point.

02 Apr 2011 11:00 #7 by LadyJazzer
I guess since the "stars" that turn out for benefits for such things are usually about 90% liberal-leaning, and the conservative ones rarely do such things...(I guess they're assuming the victims brought it on themselves)...perhaps the stars haven't had a chance to organize it yet. It's been, what, 3 weeks?

Ah, well...We know which ones WON'T be organizing one, don't we.....

02 Apr 2011 11:06 #8 by CinnamonGirl
LJ, my point was not about rep not doing anything. I think those shows are a big dog and pony show to make the 'stars' feel like they are great. I think conservatives just do it without a program.

02 Apr 2011 11:25 #9 by LadyJazzer
And you would have a link or proof of that where.........................?

However, it is rather telling that the conservatives are sitting around throwing shots and wondering why the (liberal) stars "aren't doing something."

02 Apr 2011 11:32 #10 by major bean
Surely our charity programs are for those who cannot provide for themselves. Japan is able to take care of their own problems just as we are able to care for ourselves. It is another point of view of the world that is being lost to those who want to feel helpless and have others take care of them.

Regards,
Major Bean

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds