Kindle Book Lending

27 Jan 2013 08:00 #31 by FOS
Replied by FOS on topic Kindle Book Lending
I love my Kindle now.
I can read it almost anywhere. IPAD, phone, computer.
I rarely pick up my Kindle itself anymore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Jan 2013 14:04 #32 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Kindle Book Lending
I've been reading my books on my iPad more lately as well, only because I can read it in the dark. The iPad isn't as easy to hold, so I've been looking for a good iPad pillow to get to prop it up with. My son keeps asking me when I'm going to read a real book (he's still used to printed books, bless his heart!).

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

27 Jan 2013 14:26 #33 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Kindle Book Lending
I still prefer reading on the Kindle over a back lit screen. Many kindle cases have a built in light, I just use a book light. Reading from a computer/tablet screen is much harder on your eyes than reading off the kindle with a book light.....it also doesn't interfere with sleep. I mostly either read late at night, or outside in the sun (or bright light) so I use the kindle.....the rest of the time I am either reading on the cell (on the go) or the computer. I'm in the market for a tablet, but doubt I will use that for reading. I'm waiting till the Microsoft surface pro comes on the market as I understand it will run PC programs and you can use peripheral devices connected via USB.

LED screens produce enough blue light that, when the devices are used close to bedtime, they can greatly reduce melatonin, increase alertness, and thus delay the onset of sleep and reduce deep sleep.

http://www.wellnessletter.com/ucberkele ... computer/#

If you're buying an iPad mini primarily as an ebook reader, remember standalone ebook readers are not only easier to read outside with its no-glare e-ink screens, but illuminated backlit screens have been proven to stimulate the brain rather than relax it, which might be good to know for those who like to read in bed.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/blogs/digital ... 49690.html

27 Jan 2013 14:37 #34 by ScienceChic
Yeah, I just haven't wanted to break down and buy a new case for my Kindle that has a built-in light figuring that I'd be getting a new one at some point and pass mine along to my boy. lol The lights I have that attach to the Kindle cover don't illuminate it enough and holding a flashlight is more trouble than it's worth it seems. I do like the e-ink screen much better for reading though!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

04 Apr 2013 13:33 #35 by Jekyll
Replied by Jekyll on topic Kindle Book Lending
Not to be a total wet blanket, but I still go to the library and check books out......am I in the dark ages? :idea:

04 Apr 2013 19:02 #36 by ScienceChic
Nope, just vintage! :wink:

BTW, you can rent e-books from the Jeffco libraries (not sure what you might have available in Alaska) - you download them straight to your Kindle from the library computer. I haven't done it myself (who has time to read these days - you lucky slackers!), but the librarian should be able to help. They've even had classes about it here in Conifer (love that!).

04 Apr 2013 22:48 #37 by Jekyll
Thanks for the heads up SC. Btw, I live in Kittredge. Wish I was back in Ak, but it's still a long road of convincing the wife, hahaha. She hates the long winters there. Anyway, thanks again.

04 Apr 2013 22:58 #38 by ScienceChic
Ahhh, not far up the road from me! I don't blame your wife - I'm a summer girl through and through!

If you try the Kindle book lending (I haven't checked in a while to see what I have that's available to lend to others, it was very limited last time, but may be a decent list now), let me know how it goes. I know you can do it both at Conifer's library and down here in Lakewood at the one at Alameda and Wadsworth.

04 Apr 2013 23:05 #39 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Kindle Book Lending
I haven't even had a need to investigate the lending library for kindle books....there are so many free, or low cost, books available for kindle that it will be a long time before I work my way through all the books currently on my kindle waiting to be read.

05 Apr 2013 12:31 #40 by Jekyll

Science Chic wrote: Ahhh, not far up the road from me! I don't blame your wife - I'm a summer girl through and through!

If you try the Kindle book lending (I haven't checked in a while to see what I have that's available to lend to others, it was very limited last time, but may be a decent list now), let me know how it goes. I know you can do it both at Conifer's library and down here in Lakewood at the one at Alameda and Wadsworth.

If and when I give it a go, I'll hit ya up!

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds