I am boycotting Local news videos.

07 Apr 2011 09:59 #1 by CinnamonGirl
I am boycotting Local news videos. was created by CinnamonGirl
I am not going to continue to waste my time with these stupid 15 second advertising videos that I am forced to watch before I can see their news. Sometimes the freaking advertisement is longer than the video. I am disappointed that these sites are so lazy that they cannot come up with a more innovative way to advertise than to be so aggressive and controlling with their users.

Communities Bound is always searching for better ways to advertise. Forcing us to waste our time is a BIG turn off and I hit the back button and today I decided no more 9news videos. It is just too annoying for me.

They need to hear my "you cannot build a better horse" story. When the car was invented, there was no way you could improve on a horse. You hit a wall that you can't improve to make a horse better. There is a gap in the bridge that you have to jump. You had to invent something completely new. That was the ford. Advertising has hit that wall and if they want to be successful they need to get innovative!!!! This is the reason the news is having issues they are still trying to improve the horse. They need a Ford.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Apr 2011 10:17 #2 by ScienceChic

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Apr 2011 10:20 #3 by jf1acai
:thumbsup: :like:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

07 Apr 2011 10:23 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic I am boycotting Local news videos.
We should talk about what we think and feel about this on this thread then I will send them a link to it so they can see how this is for the user.

New York Times could only come up with charging.

07 Apr 2011 10:46 #5 by ScienceChic
People don't want products shoved in their faces when they aren't shopping for that particular item (I'm not buying a car anytime soon, and I already know what I want, so I don't ever need to see another car ad again). Making them see pop-ups, or commercials prior to news or YouTube videos is obnoxious. I love the concept of having advertisers on forums like this where we contact them when we need that service or product or just have a question (I like to ask the experts!), and can have a conversation with them without leaving our homes (saves on gas!). It gives us consumers a chance to get to know and trust local vendors, and gives local vendors an opportunity to build a trustful relationship with members of the community. In addition, it improves customer service because businesses have to stay connected and answer promptly online, and make sure to satisfy customers as well as they can when they do go to use them, because consumers can then post about their experience - local word of mouth is always best! Of course, there will always be dissatisfied customers, or business owners who have a bad day once in a while, but with thousands of people in a community chiming in, you can get an overall feel for who's worth going to and who isn't.

For businesses, it's a great way to get your name out there and give people info about your products that maybe they didn't realize they would need, build trust, and bring in customers! Businesses have the expertise and knowledge, but keeping that to themselves/not disseminating it, does a disservice to the community members that they serve. Forums like this offer that opportunity, because what they post stays up there forever, and much of it will remain relevant despite the passage of time. That way, they don't have to repeat themselves (efficiency!), and the customer can find the info easily, and when they want it.

We have become a society that is information overloaded, but not in a good way. There's lots of misinformation floating around out there, and it's often difficult to decide what's reliable/credible and what's not. Often, relying on friends/family/neighbors who have gone through the same experience, say dealing with a health issue, or where to get your car serviced, is the starting point. Asking experts is another popular route to go. Forums bring that all together in one place. Winning! ;)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Apr 2011 11:08 #6 by CinnamonGirl
Here the deal the way I see it. First, old papers had advertising based on paying to have your ad seen there was little way to know if it was working unless a customer said, I saw that on _____________.

When the internet came out, everyone knew there was a way to make money on it but it took a huge think tank to come out with some way to make money. They came up with pay-per-click advertising. So now you had to CLICK to get paid. There is the problem. The people that make money on this pay per click stuff is companies like google adsense. They are not very transparent on the percentages but they are the ones making all the money. When I was in the clothing eCommerce business the popular keywords that would bring visitors to my site were auctioned to the highest bidder. Some of them were $3.00 per click and that did not guarantee that I would make a sale. And there was a class action law suit because competitors would just click others ads and use up all their money.

What they need to do is stop this practice of pay per click. And I suspect the video thing is advertisers wanting to know that their ad is being seen but they are pushing users away. what they should do is say this is being brought to you by--- and make it less than 5 seconds. Forcing me to watch something I do not want to see just pisses me off. I will not pay to see their site with my time. The video being brought to you by showing that they paid so you get to watch it would be way more effective. What I would do is put up a graphic saying we are paying for this video so you don't have to watch a stupid 15 second video that I have already seen. Talk about good will and I would be way more likely to patronize such an advertiser.

The internet is attractive because the user gets to decide what they watch. Because these sites are stupid and lazy they are tying to go back the dark ages and they are shooting themselves in the foot. Mark my words. IT worked originally but that was YEARS ago. We need a ford.

Okay, off my soapbox.

07 Apr 2011 11:16 #7 by CinnamonGirl
One more thing. Innovation takes risk. Then once you come up with the new way everyone will come in droves to copy you. They have to do it completely differently and risk change that is what they are unwilling to try. IMO.

07 Apr 2011 11:25 #8 by kresspin
I HATE pop-unders. And they are almost ALWAYS the same companies.

07 Apr 2011 11:28 #9 by CinnamonGirl
9news lost me. I will not go back until they stop the practice. I will only read their text stuff. And only because now watching videos on their site has more ads then watching them on TV. So screw them.

07 Apr 2011 11:33 #10 by CinnamonGirl
That would be like the 5 oclock news making us watch a video in between each story. They know we would stop watching on TV. Why don't they think about that on the internet?

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds