Amy Winehouse found dead, aged 27

23 Jul 2011 11:21 #1 by CinnamonGirl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Jul 2011 12:01 #2 by conifermtman
What a shock. It's not like anyone didn't see that coming.

23 Jul 2011 12:36 #3 by The Viking
A friend of mine posted this on FB.

'I am not saddened or shocked by ANYONE who suffers a fate sealed by the actions they CHOOSE! No one forced them them to do the drugs so the overdoseand stupidity is the fault of their own! No pity here!!! They chose (she) their own fate!!!! Death is a part of living - this should not shock anyone, if you do stupid things- there are consequences...personal responsibility!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

And another who is a nurse who sees OD deaths weekely if not daily, said this.....

'People die everyday from drugs. Normal everyday people. Why we have to be shocked and saddened by her death just because she's famous is crazy. I see it everyday and theres no media hype i assure you What about the dad who overdoses and leaves 3 kids and a wife? Or the teenage kid that leaves his parents? I hate Hollywood hype. They're no better than anyone else, yet we hold them high.'

OK, everyone pull out your pool. Who had the 23rd of July? ..........too soon?

23 Jul 2011 13:15 #4 by chickaree
The loss of a young, talented woman is always to be mourned. This woman is widely mourned because she touched many lives with her music. It is sad that she found her life so empty that she sought to fill the emptiness with chemicals. I pray that she finds the peace and joy now that she lacked in life.

23 Jul 2011 13:53 #5 by ComputerBreath
In this world, Amy Winehouse will now find everlasting fame because she did die so young and lived such a tragic life. Where some other artist that has lived a long, uneventful life will die and likely be forgotten.

23 Jul 2011 15:14 #6 by Silent Lucidity

The Viking wrote: OK, everyone pull out your pool. Who had the 23rd of July? ..........too soon?

I'm not good enough to be able to pick a date, but I did have it in mind that she would be the next one to go. Too bad, really. You always hope that somehow they can pull themselves together and overcome whatever haunts them.

23 Jul 2011 19:15 #7 by ScienceChic
Shocked, no. Saddened, yes. My heart goes out to her family who tried to help her, but were powerless and left with the pain of her loss. Does it mean more b/c she's famous, absolutely not. But drug addiction is more often than not NOT a choice, or the person being merely stupid, and the powerful pull of drugs is not something that a non-addict can easily understand, nor is the lack of self-esteem, depression, or myriad of other psychological issues that drives people to abuse drugs. So while I won't make a big deal out of it, because she certainly had her chances to take the offered help, I didn't experience her life and won't make judgements, or withhold my pity at the situation just because she's sadly ended up like so many others. Rest in peace Amy.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Jul 2011 23:02 #8 by The Viking
There are on average 15 people who die daily from drug overdoses. That is about 5500 per year. I didn't see the stories on the other 14 today who also had families. I have a hard time glorifying or making someone famous for dying by their own hand and decisions just because they were in a line of work that made them more public. The other 14 today may have had large famlies and great jobs that produced something important but just lost the battle to the same demons that Amy did. But yes, may she rest in peace. And may her family find peace and comfort also.

24 Jul 2011 00:36 #9 by otisptoadwater
Sad? Absolutely. News worthy or shocking? Hardly. When an individual engages in self destructive behaviors and addictions come in to play the prognosis is generally bad. Amy and thousands who went before her are evidence of this pattern of self destruction. The really sad part is that this is a never ending parade, people find them selves in situations they choose to solve by suicide instead of facing the consequences and solving their own problems in a rational way by changing their behavior.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

24 Jul 2011 11:42 #10 by Momma Bear

Science Chic wrote: Shocked, no. Saddened, yes. My heart goes out to her family who tried to help her, but were powerless and left with the pain of her loss. Does it mean more b/c she's famous, absolutely not. But drug addiction is more often than not NOT a choice, or the person being merely stupid, and the powerful pull of drugs is not something that a non-addict can easily understand, nor is the lack of self-esteem, depression, or myriad of other psychological issues that drives people to abuse drugs. So while I won't make a big deal out of it, because she certainly had her chances to take the offered help, I didn't experience her life and won't make judgements, or withhold my pity at the situation just because she's sadly ended up like so many others. Rest in peace Amy.

Well said SC!! I agree. Addictions are very hard to overcome. Mental/behavioral Health experts can give you all the tools to overcome the addiction but it is up to the person whether or not they will use them. In this case, Amy was not strong enough to do the work or she just couldn't get to that place to get healthy. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and fans during this time.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds