Ideas for new name for neighbors helping one another group

15 Aug 2011 10:19 #21 by Steve-o

pacamom wrote: Maybe I should change the description on FB.

"Barnraisers A group of volunteers, formed by Steve Kelsey and known as the Barnraisers, help out others in the community with various projects. Kelsey named the group after the Amish barn raisings in which the community gets together to build a barn for one of the community members. The group has helped several people in the Pinecam.com community.(Photo by Cheryl Case) From the Flume: http://www.theflume.com/main.asp?Sectio ... cleID=5735 "

That would make sense. That quote is pulled from the Flume Article. I would say it is more appropriate to say is helps people in the 285 corridor community.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2011 10:27 #22 by Steve-o
I should point out that, ultimately, I don't really have strong feelings about the name. I am proud to see what the group was able to accomplish, what it has become and what I know it will continue to be. While other community responsibilities keep me from participating much any more, and it is people like Bootlegger who carry the torch, my preference would be that the group not be used for political purposes or online forum one-upmanship. It has never been about that and I think that the people who are most intimately involved and show up for virtually every barn-raising, and have done so for years, would agree.

15 Aug 2011 11:32 #23 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I guess I am now officially confused. Is this the Pinecam Barnraisers, Steve-O's Barnraisers, or 285 Bound Barnraisers? It sounds like the FB page is about Pinecam. If it is all the same, then what about Steve's Barnraisers? but then how do you organize if it is going on in 3 places at the same time?

and Steve-O, I do not see this as a political move at all. Just folks wanting to pitch in, and I think if anything, the attempt here is to NOT cause conflict.

15 Aug 2011 13:21 #24 by homeagain

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I guess I am now officially confused. Is this the Pinecam Barnraisers, Steve-O's Barnraisers, or 285 Bound Barnraisers? It sounds like the FB page is about Pinecam. If it is all the same, then what about Steve's Barnraisers? but then how do you organize if it is going on in 3 places at the same time?

and Steve-O, I do not see this as a political move at all. Just folks wanting to pitch in, and I think if anything, the attempt here is to NOT cause conflict.

UNFORTUNATELY, I believe Pinecam would see it as a political issue(if BarnRaiser was used as a moniker)
and I am glad that Steve=o has OFFICIALLY offered it up,since he is the inventor. Thus,Pinecam can NOT accuse this site of "stealing'
concepts,forums,ect. JMO

15 Aug 2011 13:32 #25 by pacamom
The FB page was started so that people could be notified of events, request events and post comments where they weren't allowed to in other places.

15 Aug 2011 16:02 #26 by Wily Fox aka Angela
Hey Pacamom, what do you mean post comments "weren't allowed to in other places"?

15 Aug 2011 17:08 #27 by Steve-o

Wily Fox aka Angela wrote: I guess I am now officially confused. Is this the Pinecam Barnraisers, Steve-O's Barnraisers, or 285 Bound Barnraisers? It sounds like the FB page is about Pinecam. If it is all the same, then what about Steve's Barnraisers? but then how do you organize if it is going on in 3 places at the same time?

It was "The Barnraisers" and we used pinecam as a convenient communication tool. When Facebook became popular, we found it was an even more convenient communication tool than pinecam. It also allowed some people who preferred not to post on pinecam to also stay connected so it became the tool of choice for the group. When that occurred, the name of the group created on FB was "285 Barnraisers". The quote on FB was from a Flume article that was published a few months prior to the FB group being created. There was never any connection between pinecam and the group other than a tool to spread the word, recruit members and find people in need. Never, that I am aware of, was "Pinecam Barnraisers", "Steve-o's Barnraisers" or "285 Bound Barnraisers" used as the name. I don't even know where those came from.

As I have already stated, I don't really care what it is called. I've said my preference, but I doubt anyone really cares what I think. I am seldom involved any more because of other commitments taking up a lot of my time. It is the mission of the group that was always most important to me, anyway.

How about this for an idea? Instead of letting people who have never attended an event or attended only a single event determine the name, perhaps we should let Bootlegger decide what the name should be. He has always been the most involved and has been to more of the events over the 3 or 4 years of the groups existence than anyone else. He is also the one who brought it to 285 Bound. The group survives today because of his dedication, commitment and care for the community.

15 Aug 2011 17:23 #28 by Wily Fox aka Angela

15 Aug 2011 17:32 #29 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
No, I am Bootlegger.........AKA Stecat...........I agree with Steve-o, the name is immaterial, the mission is the important aspect.

15 Aug 2011 17:39 #30 by CC
LOL.....Given Steve's comments and a desire to not complicate things....I retract my choice earlier and vote for 285 Barnraisers. (Since that was the original title)
The 285 merely denotes an area served. That way.....all people can participate no matter what website they choose to actively participate on. PC can choose to include the information or not. Their choice.
I prefer to see a group that is inclusive, not exclusive. Everyone should be allowed to bring their specific talents to the table.
Thx for letting us re-vote.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds