Ideas for new name for neighbors helping one another group

15 Aug 2011 19:29 #31 by jf1acai
Whatever Bootlegger wants it to be called is fine with me. I hope to be able to participate, as soon as I figure out how to deal with all the 'spare time' (NOT!!) that I now have since I'm retired :wink:

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Aug 2011 22:37 #32 by ScienceChic

steve-o wrote: I should point out that, ultimately, I don't really have strong feelings about the name. I am proud to see what the group was able to accomplish, what it has become and what I know it will continue to be. While other community responsibilities keep me from participating much any more, and it is people like Bootlegger who carry the torch, my preference would be that the group not be used for political purposes or online forum one-upmanship. It has never been about that and I think that the people who are most intimately involved and show up for virtually every barn-raising, and have done so for years, would agree.

Good points Steve, thank you for that. I like the connotation that the Barnraisers name implies and think it describes perfectly what we are trying merely to expand upon. I agree wholeheartedly that it is about helping the community, not about politics or one-upmanship, and would be delighted if this member effort could be pooled/shared between the sites as that would be the best for the members of the 285 corridor community. My push earlier for a different name stemmed from an effort to abide by the express wishes of those in charge at Pinecam to not share anything; I had assumed that the Barnraisers name was associated more closely with Pinecam, but now that you've explained it further, I see that I misunderstood due to lack of knowledge of the history of the group: my humblest apologies. I don't see an issue with continuing with the name 285 Barnraisers. Honestly, we just want to help the community, and whatever name everyone prefers is fine with us - it's not the name that matters, as you and others have said, rather the intention, efforts, and goals of the group.

steve-o wrote: How about this for an idea? Instead of letting people who have never attended an event or attended only a single event determine the name, perhaps we should let Bootlegger decide what the name should be. He has always been the most involved and has been to more of the events over the 3 or 4 years of the groups existence than anyone else. He is also the one who brought it to 285 Bound. The group survives today because of his dedication, commitment and care for the community.

Great idea! I've been working on my reply off an on as I was available today, and an homage to Bootlegger was part of my response! :sunshine:

Most importantly, I'd like to take this opportunity to extend a HUGE thank you to Bootlegger for all of his hard work and time spent on this first project we've done here through 285Bound. Megan is beside herself with disbelief and filled with such gratitude that so much is being done for her, and many of us, myself included, are in awe of his dedication and tireless energy! Beyond working on improvements to her house, he actually met with Park Co officials today to help resolve a dispute concerning her shed - above and beyond the call of service IMO!

So...285 Barnraisers it is! :sunshine:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

15 Aug 2011 22:49 #33 by CC

16 Aug 2011 08:02 #34 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Actually it was Jefferson County that is upset about the shed. Still trying to get information and the forms needed from them.

16 Aug 2011 12:08 #35 by ScienceChic
If you need any help with that Bootlegger, just let us know! Thanks!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

16 Aug 2011 16:50 #36 by Wily Fox aka Angela

bootlegger wrote: No, I am Bootlegger.........AKA Stecat...........I agree with Steve-o, the name is immaterial, the mission is the important aspect.

I KNOW YOU! the last time I saw you it was your birthday! these "nicknames" confuse me in my aging years....it's hard enough to remember someone's real name much less their nicknames on different sites.

16 Aug 2011 17:09 - 16 Aug 2011 17:20 #37 by MichiganGal
285 Bound Neighbors Helping Neighbors
Bootlegger you decide, I am so far away I shouldn't have a say in the matter, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. It isn't the name it is the people behind the person who puts it all together and leads the way! I will keep checking up on things as they go along, you people all impress me! That is why you live in such a special place! :sunshine:

Never Say Never

16 Aug 2011 17:12 #38 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Didn't think that I was going to be posting here when I first looked at the site, a lot of anger. Couldn't get into the ring without signing up, so I used a new nic. Didn't post here again until just recently for the barn raising. The site has changed since it's inception for the better. There is still some hostility, but it is channelized into a given area which can be ignored or joined in the fray.

16 Aug 2011 17:36 #39 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: [So...285 Barnraisers it is! :sunshine:

A very minor point since I do not thing very many people remember this. When Steve proposed the Barnraisers there were a few rules. Maybe guidelines since I do not recall a strict adherence to them.

I won't bother to enumerate them but since we have the same Barnraiser moniker, perhaps someone should ether develop new guidelines or repudiate the old ones and state that there are no restrictions or conditions on who we help.

16 Aug 2011 18:15 #40 by Lonewolf Field Services HVAC
Neptunechimney is correct that there were guidelines in place on how things were to work. I don't remember them very well, but I believe Megan would not have qualified under the original guidelines. Maybe steve-o has those guidelines somewhere and could post them for the group to review and adjust as they see fit.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds