Need advice on a great car for up here...

30 Jun 2010 13:58 #21 by RivendaleFarms
I agree with dmcdd on the Jeep Commander. I've had 3 Jeep Cherokee's and they're terrific, but not big enough for what you want. Friend has the Commander and kids can fit in the third row easily (but misses her Suburban size-wise). I survived being hit by a tanker truck in one of the Cherokee's, they're very sturdy!

Sally Ball, Broker Associate
Keller Williams Foothills Realty
P: 303-838-3000 C: 303-506-7405
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
rivendalefarmandranch.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2010 14:45 #22 by PhoneGeek
We have a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauwer edition with a 3rd row of seat that also folds down when not needed, it will hold 7 people. We have over 200,000 miles on it and its still running, gas milage around 20. Its been a reliable vechile.

30 Jun 2010 17:11 #23 by PrintSmith
Let's see here. You are looking for an all wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicle with lots of room, power to pull the hill or perhaps some toys and would probably like a luxurious interior to boot.

Only one choice I can see that makes sense - a Touareg TDI!!!

Perhaps something along this line?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.js ... f=national

30 Jun 2010 17:37 #24 by Sunshine Girl

PrintSmith wrote: Let's see here. You are looking for an all wheel or 4 wheel drive vehicle with lots of room, power to pull the hill or perhaps some toys and would probably like a luxurious interior to boot.

Only one choice I can see that makes sense - a Touareg TDI!!!

Perhaps something along this line?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.js ... f=national

A V10!?! Wow, thanks for teasing me PS. Nice car! I will have to think about one of these. :thumbsup: Great link btw! Only 5 seats though. :(

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

30 Jun 2010 17:40 #25 by LOL
You definitely need a Tesla. All electric sports car, only about $200K. But you missed on the Colorado $42K tax credit last year, they fixed that mix up.

They had a stock IPO and its doing pretty good. A dealer in Boulder on Pearl st. I hear.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

30 Jun 2010 17:43 #26 by Sunshine Girl

Joe wrote: You definitely need a Tesla. All electric sports car, only about $200K. But you missed on the Colorado $42K tax credit last year, they fixed that mix up.

They had a stock IPO and its doing pretty good. A dealer in Boulder on Pearl st. I hear.

I've had my share of fancy sports cars so no thanks. Not practical for up here. Unless of course you're offering to buy me one. :wink: :biggrin:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

30 Jun 2010 19:24 #27 by gees
my brother and his family had the toyota sequoia. they live on a dirt road in woodland park and made the trip every weekend to skiing at breck or keystone. they seemed to like the car and packed it full with two boys and two dogs and gear every weekend but got rid of it because of the cost of gas to the springs and back everyday became a hardship. they now have a subaru outback and split up into two cars when going camping or need more space.

30 Jun 2010 19:32 #28 by Momma Bear
I have to recommend the Ford Expedition!! Ours is 9 years old with 125,000 miles on it and have never had a problem with it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

30 Jun 2010 20:44 #29 by Sunshine Girl

Momma Bear wrote: I have to recommend the Ford Expedition!! Ours is 9 years old with 125,000 miles on it and have never had a problem with it!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You know MB (can I still use CB please!!!!! :wink: ) a lot of people have recommended the Ford Expedition on here. We were out the other day just window shopping and we kind of discounted getting a Ford. I think we will have to rethink that. Does it have 7 seats? Sounds like a VERY sturdy SUV.

30 Jun 2010 22:18 #30 by pineinthegrass
Hey, SG

I'm not an expert on this. But I did check the Consumer Reports website, just to give you some input.

It's clear a lot of people up here love their Subaru's. I've got one too and am happy with it. I've got an Outback which is more roomy (only seats 5), but the Forrester is better for rougher roads (less front end overhang from tires). Only the Tribeca has a third seat, which I think you need to seat seven. It's a good car, but CR rates others better. And I've heard rumors it may be discontinued, but don't know if that's true.

Among minivans, they rate the Honda Odyssey best. But I think it only comes with front wheel drive (19 MPG). Next is the Toyota Sienna which you can get in either FWD (20 MPG) or AWD (19 MPG).

Among SUV's, you can get a 3rd row seat with some mid-sized or most large SUV's. For mid-sized they rate the Toyota Highlander tops (AWD and has 3rd row, cramped, but OK for kids) which you can get either as a hybrid (24 MPG overall) or standard (19 MPG). They also like the Chevy Traverse (16 MPG) which can seat up to 8.

Among the large SUV's, they rate the Toyota Sequoia (15 MPG) and Ford Expedition (13 MPG, but which many others here like) at the top. The Chevy Suburban/GMC Yucon (14 MPG) are close too (but rated less reliable). Also, the Nissan Armada (13 MPG).

They also rate luxury SUV's, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for. The top three are the Lexus RX450, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX350. I can't confirm the Lexus models have a 3rd seat, but I'd guess one does since it's based on the Highlander. The Acura MDX does have a third seat, but for kids.

Hope that helps a bit!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds