Need advice on a great car for up here...

29 Jun 2010 19:44 #1 by Sunshine Girl
We're looking to buy another car for the family (used with low miles) and we'd like some ideas of what people who live up here in the mountains have and what they like or don't like about the vehicles they have. We're not in a hurry at all, but we'd love some feedback. Thanks!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jun 2010 20:49 #2 by Cupcake
Just remember that if you get a Subaru, you get one with turn signals. :D

29 Jun 2010 20:54 #3 by Sunshine Girl
They don't come with them???????

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

29 Jun 2010 21:02 #4 by chocolove
I love my subie and am on my 2nd one! First one I had for 13 years! Never really had any problems with it and it pretty much goes anywhere you want!

29 Jun 2010 21:06 #5 by Sunshine Girl
Thanks Choco. I'm kinda leaning to something bigger like a 7 seater SUV. The kids all travel in clans. lol

29 Jun 2010 21:37 #6 by Abner
7 seats huh? If you don't need deep snow clearance, Toyota's minivan can come with All Wheel Drive. These days, other minivans have that option as well. Minivans also get better gas mileage than a big V8 SUV. And IMO, minivan's lower center of gravity handles the curvy roads better in snow.
In snow, I'm much more confidant in my Subaru than in my tall sloppy XTerra. Too bad a plow doesn't fit on the Subaru : (

29 Jun 2010 21:38 #7 by LOL
Get a Hummer!

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

29 Jun 2010 21:45 #8 by archer
I love my Toyota 4Runner.....we are on a private road that isn't plowed by the county....never had a problem getting it thru many feet of snow. It's also a very cumfy road car. I believe the 4Runner has an optional 3rd row seat....which would give seating for 7. It is a full size SUV, but the gas mileage isn't nearly as bad as one would think, we get mid 20's on the hwy, about 20-21 in town.

29 Jun 2010 21:47 #9 by Hoot Owl
Who will be driving it, what is your driveway like, access from 285, commute distance?

29 Jun 2010 22:14 #10 by Sunshine Girl
We don't have any commute which is nice and only a mile off 285. Sometimes the snow is deep, but things usually stay cleared. Clearance is a concern for sure. We saw a V8 which might be good. So many choices I don't know where to start really. I appreciate all the advice because I need to head in a certain direction and I don't have any idea. Not like in the day when I know a certain sports car that I wanted. That was easy. I want to make sure I make the right choice for up here.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds