Need advice on a great car for up here...

30 Jun 2010 22:29 #31 by Sunshine Girl

pineinthegrass wrote: Hey, SG

I'm not an expert on this. But I did check the Consumer Reports website, just to give you some input.

It's clear a lot of people up here love their Subaru's. I've got one too and am happy with it. I've got an Outback which is more roomy (only seats 5), but the Forrester is better for rougher roads (less front end overhang from tires). Only the Tribeca has a third seat, which I think you need to seat seven. It's a good car, but CR rates others better. And I've heard rumors it may be discontinued, but don't know if that's true.

Among minivans, they rate the Honda Odyssey best. But I think it only comes with front wheel drive (19 MPG). Next is the Toyota Sienna which you can get in either FWD (20 MPG) or AWD (19 MPG).

Among SUV's, you can get a 3rd row seat with some mid-sized or most large SUV's. For mid-sized they rate the Toyota Highlander tops (AWD and has 3rd row, cramped, but OK for kids) which you can get either as a hybrid (24 MPG overall) or standard (19 MPG). They also like the Chevy Traverse (16 MPG) which can seat up to 8.

Among the large SUV's, they rate the Toyota Sequoia (15 MPG) and Ford Expedition (13 MPG, but which many others here like) at the top. The Chevy Suburban/GMC Yucon (14 MPG) are close too (but rated less reliable). Also, the Nissan Armada (13 MPG).

They also rate luxury SUV's, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for. The top three are the Lexus RX450, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX350. I can't confirm the Lexus models have a 3rd seat, but I'd guess one does since it's based on the Highlander. The Acura MDX does have a third seat, but for kids.

Hope that helps a bit!

That's an understatement! lol Thank you for all this info. I'm exhausted right now but I will examine it more tomorrow.

BTW.........YOU'RE HIRED! :wink:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jun 2010 22:58 #32 by pineinthegrass
Just noticed even small SUV's might have a 3rd seat. CR rates he Subaru Forester tops right now (seats 5), but the Toyota RAV4 (22-23 MPG) is a close 2nd and has a 3rd seat. But it's described as "tiny".

Toyota RAV's have been increasing in size over the years, so I don't know what year they added the 3rd seat, if you are looking for something used. And with a small SUV and 3rd seat, the luggage space is probably tiny. It's probably small for the mid-sized SUV's with 3rd seats too.

30 Jun 2010 23:28 #33 by CC
PineInTheGrass, it was so nice of you to take the time to look into this for SG. I love the folks here.
By the way SG...I was only kidding about my little VW.
I am lovingly restoring her but I promise that we can cruise 285 and do a trip to town next summer with the top down.

01 Jul 2010 08:01 #34 by pacamom

Joe wrote: You definitely need a Tesla. All electric sports car, only about $200K. But you missed on the Colorado $42K tax credit last year, they fixed that mix up.

They had a stock IPO and its doing pretty good. A dealer in Boulder on Pearl st. I hear.

Actually they are only about $100K. And yes there is a store in Boulder. Along with that tax credit you could get a really great deal. But they don't have a lot of trunk space. Something about 6800 batteries in the way. They definitely have the power to get you up the hill quickly and no one will hear you.

01 Jul 2010 13:12 #35 by Sunshine Girl

I'm not an expert on this. But I did check the Consumer Reports website, just to give you some input.

It's clear a lot of people up here love their Subaru's. I've got one too and am happy with it. I've got an Outback which is more roomy (only seats 5), but the Forrester is better for rougher roads (less front end overhang from tires). Only the Tribeca has a third seat, which I think you need to seat seven. It's a good car, but CR rates others better. And I've heard rumors it may be discontinued, but don't know if that's true.

Among minivans, they rate the Honda Odyssey best. But I think it only comes with front wheel drive (19 MPG). Next is the Toyota Sienna which you can get in either FWD (20 MPG) or AWD (19 MPG).

Among SUV's, you can get a 3rd row seat with some mid-sized or most large SUV's. For mid-sized they rate the Toyota Highlander tops (AWD and has 3rd row, cramped, but OK for kids) which you can get either as a hybrid (24 MPG overall) or standard (19 MPG). They also like the Chevy Traverse (16 MPG) which can seat up to 8.

Among the large SUV's, they rate the Toyota Sequoia (15 MPG) and Ford Expedition (13 MPG, but which many others here like) at the top. The Chevy Suburban/GMC Yucon (14 MPG) are close too (but rated less reliable). Also, the Nissan Armada (13 MPG).

They also rate luxury SUV's, but it doesn't sound like that's what you are looking for. The top three are the Lexus RX450, Acura MDX, and Lexus RX350. I can't confirm the Lexus models have a 3rd seat, but I'd guess one does since it's based on the Highlander. The Acura MDX does have a third seat, but for kids.

Hope that helps a bit!

Any chance you have the link or magazine Pine? I need to research the different years to make sure one year wasn't full of problems. Thanks so much again! That is a lot of info and extremely nice of you to do that. :biggrin: :woo hoo:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

01 Jul 2010 19:51 #36 by Momma Bear
Yes, the expedition has 7 seats. lol

01 Jul 2010 20:32 #37 by pineinthegrass

Sunshine Girl wrote:

Hope that helps a bit!

Any chance you have the link or magazine Pine? I need to research the different years to make sure one year wasn't full of problems. Thanks so much again! That is a lot of info and extremely nice of you to do that. :biggrin: :woo hoo:

You have to subscribe to see the ratings at the CR website (I think it's $19 a year). I do get the magazine too, and would be happy to loan it to you next time we connect. And yes, ratings do vary by year (the library probably has it, I think it's the April issue), but generally not by a whole lot. They do give suggestions for the best used cars, and the ones to avoid. CR has their own ratings methods and it's not for everyone, but I do find their info helpful. At least they aren't influenced by advertisers.

If you have a specific question or car in mind, feel free to PM me too!

01 Jul 2010 20:35 #38 by Sunshine Girl
Thanks so much. I think I'll go ahead and subscribe - I've been wanting to anyways. When I get further into the hunt I might have some questions for you both if you don't mind. Thanks again for all the help!

02 Jul 2010 07:28 #39 by Momma Bear
I wish you good luck in your SUV search. We're getting ready to buy a Ford Edge now that my lovely daughter is headed off to college and we've giving her the passat...

03 Jul 2010 20:43 #40 by FernForestFarm
Whatever you get, just make sure you get some good snow tires, 'k? Otherwise, it won't matter what you're driving, because you'll be in the ditch :)

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds