Competition makes everyone better

26 May 2010 06:58 #21 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 May 2010 07:11 #22 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote: And I will not click on 'Like' to support them in any way! Because I don't like what they have done or how they have done it! And I sure do not respect how they treat people over there!

I'm with you. I didn't (and won't) like their page. Everything you've said is true. The funniest thing is though that they what this site grow ad grow. They watch the positive energy of this site with envy. They only did their FB because they were scared. I don't say that in a mean way, but just stating the obvious. It's all flattery to this site!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 May 2010 07:15 #23 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Competition makes everyone better
Agree. I am good with this in every way. This is a great thing. In the tech world copying someone's logo is a bit tacky. But, otherwise, words are just that. Actions mean everything.

26 May 2010 07:19 #24 by Wayne Harrison
Great things rise out of the ashes.

This website was started after suggestions for change at the other website were rejected. One of the suggestions was an amnesty for all banned and suspended posters. Another was to drop the requirement that people have to register to see links. Another was a software upgrade from the 2004 version of the forum software to the 2010 version. Another was a change in leadership to allow more board members and replace the remaining ones that I appointed five years ago so that site would get some new blood. It was suggested they work more on pleasing the customer than having a "My way or the highway" mentality with members. The Facebook suggestion was met with "we are still looking at how it would benefit the site" and "this is a big step for us; these things take time." The discussion about Facebook was locked so it would fall off the front page and off the radar of members. Can't have dissention in our "happy place."

Amazing how quickly they changed their minds about Facebook after we put ours up, isn't it? I'm hoping some of the other changes that were suggested but rejected are also finally implemented. I would like to see PC become what I envisioned. It's not up to me anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. Now, I'm volunteering where my knowledge and skills are appreciated and my input is not only accepted but solicited. I am once again a happy camper.

26 May 2010 07:24 #25 by Sunshine Girl

WayneHarrison wrote: Great things rise out of the ashes.

This website was started after suggestions for change at the other website were rejected. One of the suggestions was an amnesty for all banned and suspended posters. Another was to drop the requirement that people have to register to see links. Another was a software upgrade from the 2004 version of the forum software to the 2010 version. Another was a change in leadership to allow more board members and replace the remaining ones that I appointed five years ago so that site would get some new blood. It was suggested they work more on pleasing the customer than having a "My way or the highway" mentality with members. The Facebook suggestion was met with "we are still looking at how it would benefit the site" and "this is a big step for us; these things take time." The discussion about Facebook was locked so it would fall off the front page and off the radar of members. Can't have dissention in our "happy place."

Amazing how quickly they changed their minds about Facebook after we put ours up, isn't it? I'm hoping some of the other changes that were suggested but rejected are also finally implemented. I would like to see PC become what I envisioned. It's not up to me anymore, and hasn't been for a long time. Now, I'm volunteering where my knowledge and skills are appreciated and my input is not only accepted but solicited. I am once again a happy camper.

:party :Exactly: :agree: :goodpost: :bravo: :Thank you :notworthy: I think that sums up what I think of your post Wayne. :biggrin:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

26 May 2010 07:31 #26 by CC
Just a couple of things worry me a bit as to the other website.
As stated...it is tacky to copy someones work without giving them the proper credit. The sheer fact that they have done that tells me they still don't quite get what the problem is.
I have spent some time trying to analyze what is making this site work and what was the failure of the other site.
One of the things that comes to mind is Expectations.
If you expect people to raise the bar and put their best foot forward, they will do so without fail. (I admit there are exceptions to this rule.)
If you expect the worst of people...you will generally get just that.
The tone of a any environment is set at the top. That is true of government, schools, churches, families and such.
The tone here is positive with an attitude that the best is expected until shown otherwise. I want to keep that attitude so I know I can do my part by behaving in a positive manner that compliments the website. I think everyone here so far has that same belief.
I for one am thrilled to have this site. It is a wonderful new chance to serve my community. For me....there is no alternative. I was permanently banned from the other site and no....I was not really given a warning or explanation.
I simply held an opinion that differed, (best I can tell) from those in charge.
I don't know the real reason why because I was never told and when my daughter questioned it, she was threatened also.
I don't have any bad feelings. I just think it is sad that a website that was intended to bring the community together, in the end, would cause a division within this community that was not helpful.
Just my thoughts.

26 May 2010 07:48 #27 by Rockdoc
Well said Becky. THe words bound and divisive come to mind as descriptors. This site is bound to its community and that sets it apart form elsewhere. I do believe, some on PC have decided to join in on a little competition. Perhaps that is not the right word, but within the context of this thread it is appropriate. I think some are realizing they are being left behind and fear that. It's very good some became aware and a little more sensitive to their community. I've not been banned, I have received a reminder that one of my posts was a little too provocative. Perhaps instead of ruling by fear, (as in you don't dare say anything negative about the leadership for fear a friend may turn you in .. that from the description my mother provided about the SS days in Germany) a loosening of the reins will occur..at least for a while. Somehow, I have little faith that there will be sustained growth similar to what is seen here.

Now to give some thought to what else we might wish to consider to make this site even better for us.

26 May 2010 07:50 #28 by Sunshine Girl
You're right Becky as well.

Designing Destiny :
:heart: Sometimes in life we don't make a positive change until we're forced to do so. There are too many examples of this to list. What I do believe in is destiny. It's only a matter of time before the straw breaks, a new positive change is made, and the new path which was destined to be is set. It's been a rough year for many of us for sure, but can any of us look back and not be happy that things happened as they did? I for one wouldn't trade anything for I couldn't be happier how things have worked out. Would I have been happy with one more year of the same? Nope! Would you? Doubt it! Would Steve? Never! That doesn't mean residule pain and frustration doesn't exsist. For most people disenchanted with PC it's more their frustration that they won't change, won't take responsibility for their mistakes, won't acknowledge even the most basic question, and that they don't seem to get it and/or care. Ok. That will be their destiny. Everything happens for a reason. Looking a year ahead will be most interesting to me. Where will they be? Same President (for sure), mostly same BOD, same Admins, same tired way of thinking, same conceited attitude with "their customers" (yep, they forgot that these people they so easily sh*t upon are customers), and the same threads with people venting. Now, look down the road a year from now with this site. A site that provides an "inclusive" community that listens and reacts to the needs and wants of "it's customers", a positive and happy place to be, more members than I can imagine right now :biggrin: , and the kind of site that anyone can be proud to call home. Everyone that makes a positive contribution to this site (and mostly the creators) have designed the destiny for us all the cherish, appreciate, and most importantly ~ never take for granted. :heart:

26 May 2010 08:04 #29 by JMC
What I think makes this site so exciting is that it's vision is to duplicate and network this model to hundreds of small communities. Envision a sister site in Summit County, Durango, Sterling and eventually outside Colorado.Small newspapers are dying even faster than large ones and there is a huge void that can be filled with this model.
This site will be watched by other towns to see if this is a viable venture.they can duplicate.

26 May 2010 08:13 #30 by CC
I agree. I believe that was the original vision of that other site and it's members years ago.
It just never materialized so lets do what we can to help this websites vision see itself through.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds