Shooting at Arapahoe High School

15 Dec 2013 07:43 #11 by j-mac
Where is the parental responsibility in all this violence ? It is the duty of a parent to know who their children are. Do they not see them in the home ? Interact with them ? Have conversations about school, social activity and friends ? We continue to give parents a pass and the resultant tragedies continue to mount. Our country has allowed the family unit to evaporate from this society. Isn't it time to re install the family values that have made us the Great people we used to be ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

15 Dec 2013 08:01 #12 by FredHayek

j-mac wrote: Where is the parental responsibility in all this violence ? It is the duty of a parent to know who their children are. Do they not see them in the home ? Interact with them ? Have conversations about school, social activity and friends ? We continue to give parents a pass and the resultant tragedies continue to mount. Our country has allowed the family unit to evaporate from this society. Isn't it time to re install the family values that have made us the Great people we used to be ?

I am going to give the parents a pass on this, sounds like the kid just snapped at the last minute. Not like Columbine where the perps had been planning this for weeks or longer.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

15 Dec 2013 08:05 #13 by j-mac
Takes a long "last minute" to carry a shotgun from home (?) and enter a High School ready to fire. This kid ever "snap" before ?

15 Dec 2013 08:29 #14 by Reverend Revelant

FredHayek wrote:

j-mac wrote: Where is the parental responsibility in all this violence ? It is the duty of a parent to know who their children are. Do they not see them in the home ? Interact with them ? Have conversations about school, social activity and friends ? We continue to give parents a pass and the resultant tragedies continue to mount. Our country has allowed the family unit to evaporate from this society. Isn't it time to re install the family values that have made us the Great people we used to be ?

I am going to give the parents a pass on this, sounds like the kid just snapped at the last minute. Not like Columbine where the perps had been planning this for weeks or longer.

Fred... he purchased the gun two weeks ago.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

15 Dec 2013 10:31 #15 by Reverend Revelant
If you keep telling kids that they are all the same, that everyone gets an achievement award for participation, that there are no winners, “can’t we all just get along” sooner or later there’s going to be a kid who finds out that it’s not always true and he/she is going to snap.

Healthy competition, winners (and losers who understand that they can be winners too, if they try hard) knowing that we “can’t just all get along” and sometimes you have to stand up to the evil bully, those are life skills that are developed from growing the individual as his/her own person and then they are not as prone to thinking about using extreme force to solve their problems in a burst of “glory.”.

15 Dec 2013 11:44 #16 by archer
What has bothered me about the media coverage and even message board conversations is the attempt to use the previous incidents to explain the current incident. So many of them seem to me to be unique to the shooter.... Looking for motive and answers in a past event doesn't seem productive. In fact the speculation takes on a life of its own, and even when found to be wrong it remains in the public's mind as part of the event.

It's all incredibly sad, but looking to make sense of it by blaming anything, or anyone but the shooter helps no one. My daughter was in high school in Lakewood when Columbine happened. I can still remember the awful feeling as it all unfolded and how vulnerable a parent feels when they confront the unimaginable idea of losing a child to a violent act in a place we counted on to be safe. I think every parent knows deep down that we can't really protect our children from the crazies of this world, but we don't want to feel helpless so we look for ways to prevent the next shooting.... Truth is we can't, and that too is sad.

15 Dec 2013 12:42 - 24 Aug 2014 13:29 #17 by homeagain
Per interview with one of his friends (I believe on the debate team)....Highly motivated,and intelligent,but "could not take no for an answer"...he was kicked off the debate team (no
indication in the interview for what) but that he felt it would be detrimental on scholastic record
and prohibit him from possible getting into college.....so his "solution" was to carry a loaded
shotgun into school, seek out the debate teacher (at the same time placing Molotov cocktails
in the school, detonating one.) In this interview (with his debate member) he had kiddingly
stated in wanted to "kill people".....the context is unclear,BUT the mere statement SHOULD HAVE created a warning to someone (his friend/team/classmates)......CLEARLY our children
are NOT being shown/taught/or given a guideline for dispute resolution.....apparently there are
NO real role models within the school/family/society.....when you see PARENTS starting fights
at their children's after school sports/when you see PROFESSIONAL athletes doing the same
thing/when you see political figures FLATLY denying wrong doing and taking NO responsibility
for their actions.......do you REALLY think conflict resolution is present???? There is NO one
person that is responsible, we are ALL RESPONSIBLE for the societal screw-ups,because we
(collectively) have set NO standard for conduct....society is running amok like an undisciplined
child.....JMO When priorities have been RE established and a sense of right and wrong is
once again present,then and ONLY then will you see this senseless sh** STOP....JMO

15 Dec 2013 12:51 #18 by ThePetParent

Walter L Newton wrote:

ThePetParent wrote: Teachers need to be mindful of young minds.
Some teachers ridicule students in front of their peers.
We do have some very fragile children and adults in our society and they are still developing and immature on how to handle their anger and frustrations.

I had a math teacher in a middle school tell all the kids in a particular class that they were all degenerates and stupid. I was so mad when my daughter told me of this I went to the school and raised all kinds of hell. We called in the teacher had a conference and I made known to the principle my distain for this teacher. You don't know what goes on in a school. Sometimes teachers have egos that don't belong in the classroom. I am not saying this was the case but clearly this boy was very upset and was not being heard.

I am not saying this is what happened, but, something provoked this kid and his immaturity and lack of being heard made it so that he was going to be heard.

No one was listening....they are listening now...

I am sorry for the students and their grief and their pain and especially for the young girl who was shot. My prayers are with her and her family. My prayers are with the students and the faculty. :heart:

WE have to be aware of frustrations, humiliations that our students face and embrace them so that we can try to understand them...

For what it's worth, I was sitting down to lunch yesterday with a student at the school who knows (knew) the shooter, and from what I was told "he was highly intelligent, motivated and couldn't take no for an answer."

That is probably only part of a deeper issue, things like this are not easily figured out from news reports and comments from third parties and it's best not to start placing blame on anyone unless all the facts are known.

Walter Newton:

I am not placing blame merely pointing out there are two sides to every story.
Time will tell through lots of interviews.
However, teachers still need to exercise caution in dealing with a child's delicate psyche

15 Dec 2013 18:52 #19 by FredHayek
And now it sounds like an armed security guard helped mitigate the damage caused.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2013 05:35 #20 by Reverend Revelant

ThePetParent wrote:

Walter L Newton wrote:

ThePetParent wrote: Teachers need to be mindful of young minds.
Some teachers ridicule students in front of their peers.
We do have some very fragile children and adults in our society and they are still developing and immature on how to handle their anger and frustrations.

I had a math teacher in a middle school tell all the kids in a particular class that they were all degenerates and stupid. I was so mad when my daughter told me of this I went to the school and raised all kinds of hell. We called in the teacher had a conference and I made known to the principle my distain for this teacher. You don't know what goes on in a school. Sometimes teachers have egos that don't belong in the classroom. I am not saying this was the case but clearly this boy was very upset and was not being heard.

I am not saying this is what happened, but, something provoked this kid and his immaturity and lack of being heard made it so that he was going to be heard.

No one was listening....they are listening now...

I am sorry for the students and their grief and their pain and especially for the young girl who was shot. My prayers are with her and her family. My prayers are with the students and the faculty. :heart:

WE have to be aware of frustrations, humiliations that our students face and embrace them so that we can try to understand them...

For what it's worth, I was sitting down to lunch yesterday with a student at the school who knows (knew) the shooter, and from what I was told "he was highly intelligent, motivated and couldn't take no for an answer."

That is probably only part of a deeper issue, things like this are not easily figured out from news reports and comments from third parties and it's best not to start placing blame on anyone unless all the facts are known.

Walter Newton:

I am not placing blame merely pointing out there are two sides to every story.
Time will tell through lots of interviews.
However, teachers still need to exercise caution in dealing with a child's delicate psyche

A child's delicate psyche need to learn how to toughen up. And this "child" was 18 years old.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds