Shooting at Arapahoe High School

16 Dec 2013 09:53 #31 by homeagain
The statement was a MACRO statement....of our society's entertainment....SPECFICALLY young
teenage MALES/young adult MALES...and their addiction/fondness for video violence/war games/fighting.....GIGO......to use a IT term....JMO

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2013 09:56 #32 by homeagain

Blondie wrote:

homeagain wrote: AND I don't believe you can "lump" the cause into mental illness.....LOOK DEEPER, when the x-box games and video vigilantes are playing VIOLENT war games/VIOLENT play games and
the shooters are cyber and the DEATHS ARE CYBER DEATHS......the mind becomes desensitized
to blood/death/violence.....JMO....it's ALL a game.....and most teenage guys play these games.... and ALL the violence that has been perpetuated onto the public (in Colorado) stems
from this......JMO.....you do NOT see females participating in this......WHY?

Reading your posts desensitizes my mind

JMO

There's always the ignore button......(I NEVER use it, but if you feel the need....)

16 Dec 2013 10:07 #33 by FredHayek

homeagain wrote: The statement was a MACRO statement....of our society's entertainment....SPECFICALLY young
teenage MALES/young adult MALES...and their addiction/fondness for video violence/war games/fighting.....GIGO......to use a IT term....JMO

Real violence vs. artificial violence? Which makes more killers? How about the generations of men before who grew up shooting animals for meat and sport? Not only killing but gutting and cutting the hides off both wild and farm animals?
Or how about generations of native Americans teenage boys who would go to war against other tribes?
Think that might de-sensitize them a little bit more than pixels on a screen?

I don't play video games, but I was of the generation that worried Dungeons & Dragons was going to turn my generation into demon worshippers. Just didn't happen.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2013 10:56 #34 by Nobody that matters
If a young man's mind takes a video game and applys the lessons learned in the game to real life, I'd consider that a failure to be able to differentiate between reality and fantasy - a sure sign of mental illness.

As popular as those games are, we should have 50% of the High School male population armed to the teeth and shooting it out in between classes all day every day.

That's not happening. Perhaps video games are a contributing factor to the violence perpetrated by some with pre-existing but undiagnosed mental illness.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

16 Dec 2013 12:09 #35 by ThePetParent
I personally think that no kid should handle a gun, be able to buy a gun until the age of 22.
Before buying a gun...they should be required to take a gun safety class.
Should be instructed on the laws.
Should know what will happen if they shoot anyone.
Mandatory class on conflict resolution as previously stated by a poster.

Yes, I know we have young men who go off to war, but they are trained.

Hopefully by age 22 they would have gained some maturity and problem solving skills.

We have fathers teaching their kids to use guns, rifles for hunting but are those kids stable to handle the responsibilities? What happens when they are bullied and can't find a resolution to the bullying?

Here is a 9 or 10 yr old who's parents bought him this rifle for Christmas and just gave it to him early...His dad has taught him gun safety and hunting....but he is only 10.

If I can I will post a picture just taken yesterday...
What happens....if or when he gets bullied? How will he handle it? Can we trust he can resist the urge or his anger not to deal with problems the wrong way?

16 Dec 2013 12:20 #36 by ThePetParent
This is the only way I could load this picture and I protected his identity.
This kid is only 10.
His dad taught him how to hunt at a very early age.
but in the back of my mind I can't help buy wonder...what if?

I hope as he grows he will if not already be taught all the responsibilities that come with handling a gun or rifle. I pray he can deal with conflict and not to resort to gun violence but all the same when I see him in this picture...makes me cringe!

16 Dec 2013 12:25 #37 by homeagain

Nobody that matters wrote: If a young man's mind takes a video game and applys the lessons learned in the game to real life, I'd consider that a failure to be able to differentiate between reality and fantasy - a sure sign of mental illness.

As popular as those games are, we should have 50% of the High School male population armed to the teeth and shooting it out in between classes all day every day.

That's not happening. Perhaps video games are a contributing factor to the violence perpetrated by some with pre-existing but undiagnosed mental illness.

[/b]

The BOLDED.....to entertain the possibilities of MANY factors and how they play into the
violence of young MALE minds....AGAIN, I do NOT see females participating in this phenomena...
what is it that puts MALES over the edge...testosterone???

16 Dec 2013 12:30 - 16 Dec 2013 12:32 #38 by homeagain

ThePetParent wrote: I personally think that no kid should handle a gun, be able to buy a gun until the age of 22.
Before buying a gun...they should be required to take a gun safety class.
Should be instructed on the laws.
Should know what will happen if they shoot anyone.
Mandatory class on conflict resolution as previously stated by a poster.

Yes, I know we have young men who go off to war, but they are trained.

Hopefully by age 22 they would have gained some maturity and problem solving skills.

We have fathers teaching their kids to use guns, rifles for hunting but are those kids stable to handle the responsibilities? What happens when they are bullied and can't find a resolution to the bullying?

Here is a 9 or 10 yr old who's parents bought him this rifle for Christmas and just gave it to him early...His dad has taught him gun safety and hunting....but he is only 10.

If I can I will post a picture just taken yesterday...
What happens....if or when he gets bullied? How will he handle it? Can we trust he can resist the urge or his anger not to deal with problems the wrong way?

The BOLDED....proven scientific fact that does NOT occur before the mid 20's......therein lies
the problem with conflict management/anger/impulses/violence......(perhaps??)

16 Dec 2013 12:31 #39 by FredHayek
I was given rifles and shotguns by age 12, got my hunter safety training the same year, and never shot anyone despite having numerous disagreements with faculty and fellow students. 99% of gun owners never shoot anyone. And a very high percentage never even use them for hunting. So those 99% should lose their rights? How about stopping Islamic males under the age of 30 from entering the US because a very small percentage of them try to blow up Americans? Think of the Boston Marathon victims, if it saves one life?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2013 12:37 #40 by Nobody that matters

ThePetParent wrote: This is the only way I could load this picture and I protected his identity.
This kid is only 10.
His dad taught him how to hunt at a very early age.
but in the back of my mind I can't help buy wonder...what if?

I hope as he grows he will if not already be taught all the responsibilities that come with handling a gun or rifle. I pray he can deal with conflict and not to resort to gun violence but all the same when I see him in this picture...makes me cringe!

That's not my kid, but...

I was shooting at age 8. I knew what a gun could do. It was available to me at all times, yet I never went out and shot anyone because I was pissed off. I was taught gun safety and had been exposed to what could happen if you disobey the rules.

Some of my favorite memories are from shooting outings. I took great pride in my ability to control the gun, and I had awesome aim, outshooting older kids and adults. It built my self-esteem like nothing else could do except the one other sport I was good at.

Shooting helped build me into the stable and confident adult that I've become.

Don't you dare try to take that away from kids as well.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds