Shooting at Arapahoe High School

16 Dec 2013 12:53 #41 by ScienceChic
Sharing from Kevin Torres' Facebook Page : a powerful blog post from one of the students at Arapahoe High School

The day of High School I’ll never forget
Matt Bowers

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Dec 2013 12:55 #42 by homeagain
No Body.....THEN, from what I can ascertain, your PARENTS did a good job of teaching adult
skills. We then get back to lack of parenting?? Is the parent a large part of the equation,is it
societal (lack of right/wrong)...I can NOT assume these kids are mental ill, I believe there are
extraordinary factors that play into the mindset of those individuals who "snap"...by all accounts
these shooters are described as "nice person next door" "can NOT believe this is the same person" "you would have never thought this person could do that....it is my belief that today's child is living in a FAR MORE complicated world than we lived in....(being in our late 50 and 60's) and THOSE factors are
compounded by the mixed messages they see in everyday life....IF the child does NOT come to
full adult comprehension before the mid 20's.....then it seems there would be much CONFUSION....how to navigate thru the maze and come out the other side....suicide, drug use
to dull the senses (escape reality) seem to be the "answer" to teenagers.....I'm attempting to
look at the macro of this mess and glean a degree of understanding.....that's all.....

16 Dec 2013 13:22 #43 by Nobody that matters

homeagain wrote: No Body.....THEN, from what I can ascertain, your PARENTS did a good job of teaching adult
skills. We then get back to lack of parenting?? Is the parent a large part of the equation,is it
societal (lack of right/wrong)...I can NOT assume these kids are mental ill, I believe there are
extraordinary factors that play into the mindset of those individuals who "snap"...by all accounts
these shooters are described as "nice person next door" "can NOT believe this is the same person" "you would have never thought this person could do that....it is my belief that today's child is living in a FAR MORE complicated world than we lived in....(being in our late 50 and 60's) and THOSE factors are
compounded by the mixed messages they see in everyday life....IF the child does NOT come to
full adult comprehension before the mid 20's.....then it seems there would be much CONFUSION....how to navigate thru the maze and come out the other side....suicide, drug use
to dull the senses (escape reality) seem to be the "answer" to teenagers.....I'm attempting to
look at the macro of this mess and glean a degree of understanding.....that's all.....

I understand what you're trying to get at. You're attempting to find common threads among diverse cases. You've focused onthe fact that the perpetrators are male, and that they used guns. You also suggested violent video games could be a contributing factor.

That leads us to a suggestion by Mark Twain. “When a youngster turns 13, put him in a pickle barrel, nail the lid shut and feed him through a knothole. Then, when he turns 16, plug up the knothole.”

Each case is separate and distinct, and no one right answer exists for all of them. I apprecite your efforts to try and find the commonality, but IMHO, none exists that will truly solve the problem of "school shootings" without being a complete affront to our basic ideas of liberty.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

16 Dec 2013 13:30 #44 by FredHayek
More and more females are playing these violent video games, will they start using guns and knives too?
Wasn't there a case a few years ago of a female college teacher in Alabama who used guns to shoot up an office after being denied tenure? She was left-leaning too and even had a history of violence.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

16 Dec 2013 16:20 #45 by Mtn Gramma

Mtn Gramma wrote:

homeagain wrote: AND I don't believe you can "lump" the cause into mental illness.....LOOK DEEPER, when the x-box games and video vigilantes are playing VIOLENT war games/VIOLENT play games and
the shooters are cyber and the DEATHS ARE CYBER DEATHS......the mind becomes desensitized
to blood/death/violence.....JMO....it's ALL a game.....and most teenage guys play these games.... and ALL the violence that has been perpetuated onto the public (in Colorado) stems
from this
......JMO.....you do NOT see females participating in this......WHY?

Really? Where did you get info that this young man played violent video games?

homeagain wrote: The statement was a MACRO statement....of our society's entertainment....SPECFICALLY young
teenage MALES/young adult MALES...and their addiction/fondness for video violence/war games/fighting.....GIGO......to use a IT term....JMO

More of your MACRO/MICRO psycho babble. There was nothing MACRO about your statement - you clearly and specifically claimed that "ALL the violence that has been perpetuated onto the public (in Colorado) stems from this", and when called on it for proof you played at metaphysical instead of backing up your crap. :faint:

Edited to add JMO.

16 Dec 2013 17:45 #46 by Blondie
Homeagain, you seem to be an expert on the subject. How many kids do you have and how perfect are they? Where do you practice psychology?

Facts are Facts, a kid has taken his life, his family is grieving. A young girl was shot in the head. A bunch of high school kids got a reality check. You want to blame it on video games. I blame it on an 18 year old that did not know how to cope. I also applaud the resource officer, teacher and janitor that reacted correctly

Babble on ......JMO

16 Dec 2013 17:46 #47 by Reverend Revelant
And from the parents of the dead teenager.

'As parents, we loved our son Karl dearly and we are devastated by what happened Friday. We cannot begin to understand why Karl did what he did. We ask for privacy during this unthinkably difficult time and hope that you will respect our need for time to grieve.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... k-out.html

And that folks is the beginning of the problem.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

16 Dec 2013 18:57 #48 by homeagain
Blondie,Mt. Gramma........IF you care to debate INSTEAD of "bait".....then I will response,other
wise....I will NOT engage either of you.....(the effort is NOT worth my time).....the topic is
BRUTALLY painful as it is.....and worthy of a serious discussion.... :smackshead:

16 Dec 2013 19:00 #49 by homeagain

Walter L Newton wrote: And from the parents of the dead teenager.

'As parents, we loved our son Karl dearly and we are devastated by what happened Friday. We cannot begin to understand why Karl did what he did. We ask for privacy during this unthinkably difficult time and hope that you will respect our need for time to grieve.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... k-out.html

And that folks is the beginning of the problem.

THANK YOU for this post....the BOLDED calls for a serious discussion....because it has been
echoed time and time again.....

16 Dec 2013 20:35 #50 by Nobody that matters
m-e-n-t-a-l i-l-l-n-e-s-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds