R.I.P. Robin Williams

11 Aug 2014 21:36 - 11 Aug 2014 21:37 #11 by BuyersAgent
Replied by BuyersAgent on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
What a terrible loss.

Worth sharing: this clip of Robin with Koko the Gorilla, apparently filmed not long before his death. It's evident that she grok'd him.

RIP, Robin.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Aug 2014 06:37 - 12 Aug 2014 06:38 #12 by Reverend Revelant
There are two kinds of entertainers.

One has the ability to tap into certain emotions when needed, filling themselves temporarily with feelings like sadness, pain, ego, whatever is needed for the moment to create an image. Method actors do this all the time, becoming the character as whole heartily as they can, channeling the needed inner being of a character. And then when it's all over they drop the facade and walk away from it.

The other is constantly filled with feelings like sadness, pain, ego, living a tortured life that they channel from themselves into the character. And then when it's all over, they can't walk away from it, because they can't walk away from themselves.

The entertainment system doesn't care how you get to your apex. You are a product that has to keep producing. You are fawned on, propped up, your every dysfunctional whim is attended to. The system enables you to your hearts content.

And when your inner demons catch up to you, when you can't function for the system anymore, you're tossed away. Your "support" group is no longer there, the only thing they have left is themselves.

Williams was one of those second types. He was brilliant as the manic, stream of conscience comic actor. But he was addicted to cocaine. He was a academy award winning actor, deeply introspective in his roles, playing characters who touched the souls of all the other characters, in turn touching our souls. He was an alcoholic.

The entertainment system wants you to get well, get help, they will even work with you, making concessions while you take a few months to get clean. But their concern is with the product, not the person.

It's not a new story, in fact it's as old as recorded history. We have seen philosophers, musicians, poets, politicians and our own family members play out this scenario since the beginning of time.

We so love our heroes."Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of. People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame. Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain."

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

12 Aug 2014 07:51 #13 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
Maybe the depressed character we saw him play in Good Will Hunting, where he won his Oscar, was the real Robin Williams.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

12 Aug 2014 08:49 #14 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
The two hours with Robin Wlliams in Inside the Actors Studio was a rare glimpse of this genius, of course,
he was "on" and riffing, BUT the seriousness of his craft was laid bare for the students to absorb. Some
of my most loved movies...."The Birdcage", Good Will Hunting are films I NEVER tire of.

Private parts of his persona.....Jessica Chastian(Zero-dark Thirty,The Help)was a struggling nobody and
he generously paid her tuition to give her an opportunity to become the talented actor she has become.

Christopher Reeve (life long friends) shared his food with the "struggling" Robin, in those early days.
When Reeves was in the hospital and in the deepest of despondence, Robin came "bursting" thru the door
dressed in scrubs and proceeded to bring a "doctor's orders" hysterical skeet....allowing Reeves to
belly laugh for the first time in months,

I never did see the cartoon "Aladdin", but after running thru the script for a several minutes... Robin
asked the producers if he could "try something".....producers gave the nod and Robin IMPROVISED THE
WHOLE SCRIPT ROLE FOR ALADDIN.......it was "wrapped" as it came out of his mouth....and in the can.

12 Aug 2014 09:21 #15 by FredHayek
I just read that Disney actually has 12 hours of outtakes from Robin William's Genie, some of those have to be quite good. I wonder if Disney will release them.

12 Aug 2014 10:13 #16 by ComputerBreath
I loved him in The Birdcage. But the one movie I saw with him in it that just touched me and left me thinking was "What Dreams May Come" I remember leaving the theater with a very heavy spiritual feeling in the pit of my stomach...and at first, I didn't like it. But, as I've grown older, it has resonated with me. Very ironic that he took his own life and my favorite movie of his is about death and the afterlife.

My heart hurts.

12 Aug 2014 12:28 #17 by FredHayek
Press conference going on right now, hung himself with his belt in his bedroom closet and also attempted to slit his wrists.

In Colorado in 2012, 1053 commited suicide. And for those between the ages of 10 and 35, it is the leading cause of death.

12 Aug 2014 15:01 - 12 Aug 2014 15:11 #18 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams

The suspected suicide of comedian Robin Williams is an opportunity for journalists to give more coverage to a topic that deserves it. Suicide rates in the United States rose between 2000 and 2007.

The CDC reported last year that in 2009, more people died from suicide than from car accidents. It also found “substantial increases in suicide rates among middle-aged adults in the United States.”

The American Association of Suicidology has this collection of recommendations for journalists who cover the issue.

The AAS makes three big points:

More than 50 research studies worldwide have found that certain types of news coverage can increase the likelihood of suicide in vulnerable individuals. The magnitude of the increase is related to the amount, duration and prominence of coverage.

Risk of additional suicides increases when the story explicitly describes the suicide method, uses dramatic/ graphic headlines or images, and repeated/extensive coverage sensationalizes or glamorizes a death.

Covering suicide carefully, even briefly, can change public misperceptions and correct myths, which can encourage those who are vulnerable or at risk to seek help.

For more resources, please go to this link: www.poynter.org/how-tos/newsgathering-st...s-story-responsibly/

Having gone through the pain and anger when a family member or beloved friend commits suicide, I can sincerely say that it is complex, and painful, and please try to do what you can to help before someone makes that choice. Many times depression is a symptom of many underlying diseases, and treating those can only happen if the person is accepting of that path. Sometimes even that won't be enough, and it will cause guilt, and anger. Letting go of that and trying to forgive and remember with love is a hard road, but it's necessary.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Aug 2014 16:45 #19 by Mountain-News-Events
News from The Denver Post:

JUST IN: Gov. John Hickenlooper Tuesday announced the launch of Colorado's first-ever statewide mental health crisis hotline.

Callers to the Colorado Crisis and Support Line will be able to speak with mental health professionals 24 hours a day, 365 days a year at 844-493-TALK (8255).

FULL STORY: dpo.st/1l0VPlz

My Mountain Town Community Calendar - filter events by Category, date, or keyword to easily find events of interest. Add your community, church, or non-profit event to the calendar yourself! Click here to access the submission form. Businesses: please contact us for more information on adding your events! Questions? Email

Community News, Events, and Calendar Forum - Check here for the latest happenings in our community and add your own!

12 Aug 2014 17:12 #20 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
Suicide is the choice made when the person simply can't live with whatever is causing them pain be it physical or emotional. What they fail to realize is that the manner in which they choose to end their pain creates a lifetime of pain for others. That is why suffering brings grace to your life. It means that you have chosen others over self, that you choose to suffer rather than cause suffering.

I grieve for those who loved Robin Williams, those who were left behind to wonder in pain why he is no longer here, and I pray that our Creator will have mercy on his soul; but I will not mourn the loss of Robin Williams. He abandoned his obligations, he failed to keep the faith with those who opened their hearts to him and welcomed him into their lives. He put his own suffering ahead of the suffering of his wife and children and that is simply a choice a husband and a father has lost when he chose to be a husband and a father.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds