R.I.P. Robin Williams

13 Aug 2014 05:57 #21 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
I just read that Koko, the gorilla in the post from Colorado Kathy, learned of Robin's death and is taking it pretty hard. Hopefully all can find some peace in the knowing this life is only temporary, but there is more beyond it.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2014 06:03 #22 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
On a related note, a book called "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife" by Dr. Eben Alexander may help provide skeptics a reason to believe.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

13 Aug 2014 07:53 #23 by Reverend Revelant

HEARTLESS wrote: On a related note, a book called "Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey Into the Afterlife" by Dr. Eben Alexander may help provide skeptics a reason to believe.

Not really. Scientist are some of the easiest people to fool, and they often easily fool themselves.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

13 Aug 2014 09:59 #24 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams

PrintSmith wrote: Suicide is the choice made when the person simply can't live with whatever is causing them pain be it physical or emotional. What they fail to realize is that the manner in which they choose to end their pain creates a lifetime of pain for others. That is why suffering brings grace to your life. It means that you have chosen others over self, that you choose to suffer rather than cause suffering.

I grieve for those who loved Robin Williams, those who were left behind to wonder in pain why he is no longer here, and I pray that our Creator will have mercy on his soul; but I will not mourn the loss of Robin Williams. He abandoned his obligations, he failed to keep the faith with those who opened their hearts to him and welcomed him into their lives. He put his own suffering ahead of the suffering of his wife and children and that is simply a choice a husband and a father has lost when he chose to be a husband and a father.

I strongly disagree with your statements above PrintSmith. Suicide is not the result of a "cowardly" or "selfish" choice.

"But the trouble is, in trying to reason about the suicidal mind from a non-suicidal place – that’s basically where most of these myths come from.”

-Psychologist Thomas Joiner, “ Myths About Suicide

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace

Speaking from personal experience, I suffered for years from depression and would fantasize multiple times daily about suicide. And the most desired goal from that act wasn't to end my own pain, but to inflict it in those who loved me because I was so, so, so incredibly angry at them and the world that I wanted to punish them and I knew that would be the most effective manner in which to do so; rest assured that I knew full well that it would cause a lifetime of pain and that was motivating me, not preventing me. You might call it selfishness, I call it deep, unabiding fury and hopelessness that I felt I had little recourse otherwise. What I really needed was help addressing the cause of that anger and pain, and it took me until my late 20s and entire 30s to finally reach out for that help on my own after deciding that living a miserable life was no life at all. And it's still back there, in the deep recesses of me - it will always be a part of who I am. Now, it is the source of my compassion, patience, understanding, and open-mindedness. I feel lucky because part of my genetic make-up/innate personality is an unwavering optimism, an unshakeable understanding, whether reality-based or not, that life will always get better. Not everyone feels that as a Truth and had I not, I'm not so sure that I'd be here today. And unless you've also experienced that level of despair, pain, anguish, and at times hopelessness - all those complex emotions and the various experiences that led to them manifesting, you can't possibly understand.

Robin Williams's death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish
News of Robin Williams’s death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems
Dean Burnett
Tuesday 12 August 2014

However, despite the tremendous amount of love and admiration for Williams being expressed pretty much everywhere right now, there are still those who can’t seem to resist the opportunity to criticise, as they do these days whenever a celebrated or successful person commits suicide. You may have come across this yourself; people who refer to the suicide as “selfish”. People will utter/post phrases such as “to do that to your family is just selfish”, or “to commit suicide when you’ve got so much going for you is pure selfishness”, or variations thereof.

If you are such a person who has expressed these views or similar for whatever reason, here’s why you’re wrong, or at the very least misinformed, and could be doing more harm in the long run.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; dismissing the concerns of a genuine depression sufferer on the grounds that you’ve been miserable and got over it is like dismissing the issues faced by someone who’s had to have their arm amputated because you once had a paper cut and it didn’t bother you. Depression is a genuine debilitating condition, and being in “a bit of a funk” isn’t. The fact that mental illness doesn’t receive the same sympathy/acknowledgement as physical illness is often referenced, and it’s a valid point.

We don't call those diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc cowardly or selfish, nor should those suffering mental illnesses be described as such.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Aug 2014 11:53 - 13 Aug 2014 11:54 #25 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
FOR PRINTSMITH..... america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/30...-predictsuicide.html

As with EVERYTHING....look deeper, bring an OPEN approach and remind oneself.....walking a mile in ANOTHER'S
moccasins is most needed....this genetic marker was talked about back in summer of 2013....

13 Aug 2014 14:48 #26 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
If you think I'm clicking on a link to aljazzera's website you are sorely mistaken home. That simply isn't going to happen.

I've walked a mile in those shoes home. I've had days where I wanted to be dead, where I prayed for my Creator to call me home because I was in so much pain. I've written the note. How presumptuous of you to assume as you have. What stopped me was the realization that my pain didn't give me license to visit pain on others regardless of how much pain I was in. What stopped me was realizing I had an obligation to others that superseded my own pain.

13 Aug 2014 14:51 #27 by PrintSmith

ScienceChic wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: Suicide is the choice made when the person simply can't live with whatever is causing them pain be it physical or emotional. What they fail to realize is that the manner in which they choose to end their pain creates a lifetime of pain for others. That is why suffering brings grace to your life. It means that you have chosen others over self, that you choose to suffer rather than cause suffering.

I grieve for those who loved Robin Williams, those who were left behind to wonder in pain why he is no longer here, and I pray that our Creator will have mercy on his soul; but I will not mourn the loss of Robin Williams. He abandoned his obligations, he failed to keep the faith with those who opened their hearts to him and welcomed him into their lives. He put his own suffering ahead of the suffering of his wife and children and that is simply a choice a husband and a father has lost when he chose to be a husband and a father.

I strongly disagree with your statements above PrintSmith. Suicide is not the result of a "cowardly" or "selfish" choice.

"But the trouble is, in trying to reason about the suicidal mind from a non-suicidal place – that’s basically where most of these myths come from.”

-Psychologist Thomas Joiner, “ Myths About Suicide

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace

Speaking from personal experience, I suffered for years from depression and would fantasize multiple times daily about suicide. And the most desired goal from that act wasn't to end my own pain, but to inflict it in those who loved me because I was so, so, so incredibly angry at them and the world that I wanted to punish them and I knew that would be the most effective manner in which to do so; rest assured that I knew full well that it would cause a lifetime of pain and that was motivating me, not preventing me. You might call it selfishness, I call it deep, unabiding fury and hopelessness that I felt I had little recourse otherwise. What I really needed was help addressing the cause of that anger and pain, and it took me until my late 20s and entire 30s to finally reach out for that help on my own after deciding that living a miserable life was no life at all. And it's still back there, in the deep recesses of me - it will always be a part of who I am. Now, it is the source of my compassion, patience, understanding, and open-mindedness. I feel lucky because part of my genetic make-up/innate personality is an unwavering optimism, an unshakeable understanding, whether reality-based or not, that life will always get better. Not everyone feels that as a Truth and had I not, I'm not so sure that I'd be here today. And unless you've also experienced that level of despair, pain, anguish, and at times hopelessness - all those complex emotions and the various experiences that led to them manifesting, you can't possibly understand.

Robin Williams's death: a reminder that suicide and depression are not selfish
News of Robin Williams’s death due to apparent suicide, said to be a result of suffering severe depression, is terribly sad. But to say taking your own life because of such an illness is a ‘selfish’ act does nothing but insult the deceased, potentially cause more harm and reveal a staggering ignorance of mental health problems
Dean Burnett
Tuesday 12 August 2014

However, despite the tremendous amount of love and admiration for Williams being expressed pretty much everywhere right now, there are still those who can’t seem to resist the opportunity to criticise, as they do these days whenever a celebrated or successful person commits suicide. You may have come across this yourself; people who refer to the suicide as “selfish”. People will utter/post phrases such as “to do that to your family is just selfish”, or “to commit suicide when you’ve got so much going for you is pure selfishness”, or variations thereof.

If you are such a person who has expressed these views or similar for whatever reason, here’s why you’re wrong, or at the very least misinformed, and could be doing more harm in the long run.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; dismissing the concerns of a genuine depression sufferer on the grounds that you’ve been miserable and got over it is like dismissing the issues faced by someone who’s had to have their arm amputated because you once had a paper cut and it didn’t bother you. Depression is a genuine debilitating condition, and being in “a bit of a funk” isn’t. The fact that mental illness doesn’t receive the same sympathy/acknowledgement as physical illness is often referenced, and it’s a valid point.

We don't call those diagnosed with cancer, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc cowardly or selfish, nor should those suffering mental illnesses be described as such.

Never said that Williams' choice was cowardly or selfish SC. I said it resulted from not being able to live with his pain. I said his choice is one he lost the moment he decided to be a husband and a father. If you want to disagree with my opinion, that's fine, but please don't alter what my opinion is prior to taking issue with it.

13 Aug 2014 15:00 #28 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
I knew one woman who waited until her kids had all graduated high school. Like she felt she had done her job and now could end her own pain.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

13 Aug 2014 15:26 #29 by PrintSmith
And she, too, failed in her obligations. I'll venture that most of us have lost at least one parent by now. Can any of you tell me that there aren't still days when you need that missing person in your life? My Pa died in 1997, riddled with cancer. I could still use his wisdom in my life today were he here to dispense it and I've got better than half a century of life in my rear view mirror.

13 Aug 2014 15:32 - 13 Aug 2014 15:33 #30 by swansei
Replied by swansei on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
PS did your father fail you for dying from cancer. Could you have stopped it?

Why doesn't Robin Williams get a pass but your father does?

RIP Robin Williams

"There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation... One is by sword...The other is by debt." John Adams 1826.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds