R.I.P. Robin Williams

13 Aug 2014 15:54 #31 by Something the Dog Said
Too many individuals, such as Printsmith, fail to understand the difference with merely being depressed and the medical condition of depression. Being merely depressed over your instant situation, as Printsmith described having "suffered", is quite different from the medical condition of severe depression as Mr. Williams had apparently been diagnosed by medical professionals. Severe depression does not necessarily occur from environmental conditions or life events but may be exacerbated by such conditions. Printsmith obviously does not understand that depression may be caused by such conditions as biological disorders, chemical disorders in the brain, hormonal imbalances, genetic traits and other unknown factors. It does not render itself necessarily to a "choice" anymore than cancer, heart disease or other medical conditions does. One of the potential symptoms of severe depression is detachment from your loved ones. Whether or not this was one of the symptoms that Mr. Williams suffered will never be none, but clearly to claim that his suicide was a "selfish choice" simply illustrates a failure to understand depression and the effect it has upon those who suffer from it.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Aug 2014 15:54 - 13 Aug 2014 15:57 #32 by BuyersAgent
Replied by BuyersAgent on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
This is such a complicated issue that I'm sure we can't do it justice on these pages. My heart goes out to those who fight the courageous battle of mental illness in the front lines of combat, and to the survivors of those who were unable to conquer the demons of their soul. I figure that anyone who claims they have not considered the relative merits of suicide, or been affected by someone else who has, is lying.

I understand the general concept that PrintSmith has raised, and recall feeling with a certain sense of regret an inner acknowledgement that possibly my most vital and essential Choice had been surrendered, when I became a mother. Since then, I've not had the luxury of entertaining the notion of suicide specifically because of my status as a parent, and sometimes missed being able to consider that option. Possibly this is the result of my own mother having died of leukemia at 50 when I was 19, and thereafter vowing that my daughters would not face a similar fate.

I learned a lot from a show on Amazon Prime, it was called "Thin." I'd never really understood that people with eating disorders cannot -- that's CAN not -- eat like normal people. From that same perspective, we can't make progress with depressed people by telling them to just snap out of it. If they could, they would.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

13 Aug 2014 16:26 #33 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams

PrintSmith wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: He put his own suffering ahead of the suffering of his wife and children and that is simply a choice a husband and a father has lost when he chose to be a husband and a father.

Never said that Williams' choice was cowardly or selfish SC. I said it resulted from not being able to live with his pain. I said his choice is one he lost the moment he decided to be a husband and a father. If you want to disagree with my opinion, that's fine, but please don't alter what my opinion is prior to taking issue with it.

My apologies if I was projecting onto you what I've seen so many others saying PS, but I interpret your sentence above in bold that you are calling him selfish. If that's not how you mean it, then I am mistaken and I'm sorry.

I just don't think it's being understanding of the "choice" people make when committing suicide - as described above in one of the authors I quoted, to the sufferer, it's a choice between the fire and jumping - I don't think we have a right to judge, nor do I believe that it is helpful to those suffering to make that judgement on them. Every year we hear about public shootings, murder-suicides of families, and we hear that it's not guns that are the problem, we lament that mental health care in this country isn't serving those in need and they turn to violence - against others and themselves. Being compassionate and proactively helping is much more effective at solving these issues than passing judgements on others.

PrintSmith wrote: Suicide is the choice made when the person simply can't live with whatever is causing them pain be it physical or emotional. What they fail to realize is that the manner in which they choose to end their pain creates a lifetime of pain for others. That is why suffering brings grace to your life. It means that you have chosen others over self, that you choose to suffer rather than cause suffering.

I am glad that you have embraced the experiences that have shaped you despite your pain, and found the positive in it; it is a preferable course of action to suicide. But I can tell you wholeheartedly that most days I couldn't care less about having "grace" in my life and would gladly trade the experiences I've had and how they've shaped me, even if it would turn me into a more shallow, less caring, less compassionate, less open-minded person because there are some traumas that no human being should EVER have to suffer (and I can say that because I believe that I would still be caring, compassionate, and open-minded, just not as much so). Finding the silver lining of becoming a better person and working through the pain is, I'm sorry, bulls*** in the grand scheme of things. Yeah, it's what we have to do because we as a species still suck with the harm we inflict upon one another, but it doesn't mean we have to like it or applaud it, nor do I think it means that we have a right to judge those who choose another path because some of us worked through it and others choose differently, especially if we as a society aren't going to provide the understanding, compassion, and care they require in order to deal with it. Seeking therapy still has a huge social stigma attached to it - how many of you would be willing to admit you've had some - and until we stop judging, that attitude will continue, and those who need help will continue to be hesitant in seeking it out, in my opinion.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

13 Aug 2014 16:36 #34 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
No swansei, my Pa didn't fail in his obligations. Living is a terminal condition for all of us, we're one day closer to death each day that we live. Only that which created us is immortal . . .

You will note that I prayed the Creator would have mercy on his soul. I have pity for the late Williams, but I will not mourn for him. No, my concern is for those who now have pain in their lives as a result of his actions. They are the ones who deserve sympathy, not the late Robin Williams.

I am well familiar with the notion that suicide is not necessarily an intentional act. Doing something ones self and knowing what one is doing are not necessarily synonymous terms - which is why we make exception or provide excuse for those who intentionally kill others without understanding what they are doing in our laws. I will admit that I don't know if Williams was cognizant of what he was doing to himself either as a result of his pain or the result of medicating (legally or otherwise) that pain.

Side note. At one time the Catholic faith prohibited those who killed themselves from having a Mass of Christian Burial said for them or to allow them to be buried in a Catholic cemetery believing that they died in a state of mortal sin for their act. Not so very long ago, it was in the early 1980's IIRC, that position was reevaluate and it was realized that only the Creator knows what was in the deceased's heart at the time of their death and that it is therefore inappropriate to deny to the deceased and their family access to the Mass of Christian Burial and burial in a Catholic cemetery.

13 Aug 2014 16:39 #35 by PrintSmith
Replied by PrintSmith on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams

Something the Dog Said wrote: Too many individuals, such as Printsmith, fail to understand the difference with merely being depressed and the medical condition of depression. Being merely depressed over your instant situation, as Printsmith described having "suffered", is quite different from the medical condition of severe depression as Mr. Williams had apparently been diagnosed by medical professionals. Severe depression does not necessarily occur from environmental conditions or life events but may be exacerbated by such conditions. Printsmith obviously does not understand that depression may be caused by such conditions as biological disorders, chemical disorders in the brain, hormonal imbalances, genetic traits and other unknown factors. It does not render itself necessarily to a "choice" anymore than cancer, heart disease or other medical conditions does. One of the potential symptoms of severe depression is detachment from your loved ones. Whether or not this was one of the symptoms that Mr. Williams suffered will never be none, but clearly to claim that his suicide was a "selfish choice" simply illustrates a failure to understand depression and the effect it has upon those who suffer from it.

Again, unsurprisingly, you presume falsely based on nothing more than your wholly illogical, and ideologically driven, ignorance on what, or who, you are speaking of.

13 Aug 2014 17:30 #36 by Something the Dog Said
Yet another Printsmith attack on another poster when he is totally incapable of providing a rational fact based response. Typical. But is to be expected. Are you able to respond to the differences between being merely depressed based on environmental conditions and the medical condition of severe depression, particularly the possible symptom of severe depression of detachment from loved ones? Or that severe depression is a medical condition, that suicide may not be a "selfish choice" from those suffering from it, but a symptom from that serious condition.
I regret that you have chosen to go off topic in your nonsensical personal attack, likely forcing this serious matter into the courthouse.

"Remember to always be yourself. Unless you can be batman. Then always be batman." Unknown

13 Aug 2014 19:13 #37 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
PREDISPOSED genetics.....for SEVERE Depression/suicidal tendencies....is the issue here. PS your
response makes NO sense....cancer is a genetic marker within families, so is SEVERE depression. Your
gracelessness is despicable. JMO...(if you will NOT use the link I provided, then do the RESEARCH,as
this factor was brought forward in 2013..

13 Aug 2014 22:21 #38 by Conan
Replied by Conan on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
You know, one of the last times you posted you accused PrintSMith of personally attacking and smearing you, and I asked you that time too where do you see that he or she is doing that? His (her?) sentence said that you don't know them or about this topic, which is presumptious, unless they know you. Is that true? Were you good friends with them at some point and you've had a falling out? Because then I could understand the rancor that I see in your replies to him/her.

I think his post makes a lot of sense I understand where he's coming from. Dont cotton to all of it, but I get it. I don't know much about genetic tests for it, wouldn't put much stock in that, but I recognize that there are groups at high risk, like the veterans mentioned in that aljazeera article. Our soldiers deserve the best care for serving their country, not just for their bodies but their minds too. I hope that after that kind of sacrifice what they choose wouldn't be held against them if they aren't getting the help they desvere.

14 Aug 2014 13:02 #39 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic R.I.P. Robin Williams
www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_26336...d-parkinsons-disease

For those who wish to TRULY understand this tragedy....

14 Aug 2014 14:38 #40 by Reverend Revelant

PrintSmith wrote:
[snip]

I will admit that I don't know if Williams was cognizant of what he was doing to himself either as a result of his pain or the result of medicating (legally or otherwise) that pain.

[snip]

Then you admit that you cannot know if his suicide was a "selfish choice." Can you? So why would you say it was a "selfish choice?"

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds