Car talk? Free Repair Advice from an Expert?

17 Dec 2014 15:49 #1 by Rick
As a mechanic of 30+ years and a former used car dealer, I've seen and fixed almost everything on most common makes and models. I enjoy helping my friends save money since it's so easy for a dishonest mechanic to rip people off with unnecessary repairs, bad diagnosis, and overcharging. Not everybody has a mechanic they can trust and I love to figure out problems, even if I'm not getting paid to. If you want some free advice, tell me your issue and I'll try to steer you in the right direction. You can post here or in a PM. This is NOT an advertisement for paid services, I'm just slow this time of year and maybe I can save you some gift money. :)

Merry Christmas :stnicknoel:

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic, MyMountainTown, Cupcake, otisptoadwater, LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Dec 2014 17:45 #2 by otisptoadwater
It's good to know that there are still some honest folks out there that are willing to help people simply because they need help and not to skim a few extra bucks off of them because they can't fix something on their own!

I'll get a hold of you soon. I think my 1975 Unimog has a stuck rear passenger side Fetzer valve and my muffler bearings are out of round...

:happysnow: :canewink: :drunkensere :sunnysnow:

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Dec 2014 17:57 #3 by HappyCamper
Thanks for this forum, I do not have a question now but it is nice to know that we now have a resource.

Maybe there are others out there that can help in this way.

17 Dec 2014 18:12 #4 by LOL
Good idea Rick! Good luck!

Lets see, right now I have a P0448 code for a Fuel vent valve, a TPS monitor RF tire not working after Discount tires put on my new fancy Michelin tires, a right front headlight just went out (Low beam), and my cooling fan seems to run more than I think it should, although it runs fine and the temp gauge is normal.

I usually can fix most my issues but I hate working on cars in the winter, its gotta be over 60 before LOL gets motivated.

Oh yeah, and my remote start doesn't work, but I think that is due to the Check Engine light. LOL

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Dec 2014 18:18 #5 by HappyCamper
LOL he is a Mechanic not a Magician :P

17 Dec 2014 18:29 #6 by LOL
Ok Dr. McCoy from Star Trek! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Dec 2014 18:33 #7 by otisptoadwater

LOL wrote: Ok Dr. McCoy from Star Trek! :)

Oh... I'll get right on that...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

17 Dec 2014 19:06 #8 by HappyCamper

LOL wrote: Ok Dr. McCoy from Star Trek! :)

Sorry couldn't help myself

18 Dec 2014 13:14 #9 by Rick
Coincidentally, my last name IS McCoy, seriously :)

And if you want some help figuring out your issues LOL, I need to know what year, make, and model. Sounds like minor stuff though... probably a thermal fan switch/temp sensor and that vent valve issue won't cause any damage but may cause it to fail an emission test because of some new rules.

Speaking of emission tests, those of you in the emission required areas need to know the new rules. I don't know all the new changes but I do know that certain ages of cars will once again fail if the check engine light is on, where previously they could only fail if what came out of the pipe was beyond the legal limits. I also heard that more newer cars will be exempted from needing the test.

Oh and Otis, that out of round muffler bearing can be fixed by pounding a potato into your exhaust pipe... replace the spud as needed.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Dec 2014 13:38 #10 by Nobody that matters

Rick wrote: Speaking of emission tests, those of you in the emission required areas need to know the new rules. I don't know all the new changes but I do know that certain ages of cars will once again fail if the check engine light is on, where previously they could only fail if what came out of the pipe was beyond the legal limits.

Crap, I hope that doesn't apply to a '96 Geo Metro - I've always got a sensor going bad. I carry a bluetooth OBD2 interface with me so I can reset it on the road :)

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds