Car talk? Free Repair Advice from an Expert?

18 Dec 2014 18:07 #11 by pacamom

Nobody that matters wrote:

Rick wrote: Speaking of emission tests, those of you in the emission required areas need to know the new rules. I don't know all the new changes but I do know that certain ages of cars will once again fail if the check engine light is on, where previously they could only fail if what came out of the pipe was beyond the legal limits.

Crap, I hope that doesn't apply to a '96 Geo Metro - I've always got a sensor going bad. I carry a bluetooth OBD2 interface with me so I can reset it on the road :)

www.colorado.gov/pacific/cdphe/emissions-testing-changes-2015

•Vehicles that are eight (8) through eleven (11) years old will need their "On-Board Diagnostic (OBD)" computer systems checked.
If the “Check Engine” light is turned on, then these vehicles will fail the inspection and need repairs.
Starting in 2015, this will apply to vehicles from model years 2005 through 2008.

•Exemptions for new vehicles will increase from four (4) to seven (7) model years.
A 2011 vehicle, for example, won’t need an inspection until 2018.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Dec 2014 19:10 #12 by Rick
Thanks pacamom, I looked but couldn't find that quick enough.

Air Care Colorado is one of the few places that make my blood boil every time I enter. When I go there, I always seem to get stuck behind a couple clunkers that have to be tested twice before they fail. Then when I think I'm finally home free, the gas cap fails and I'm forced get a new gas cap, then have to wait behind a couple clunkers again, even though I passed the rest of the test 30 minutes earlier.

When I was a dealer, I probably sat through a few hundred tests (only cars I worried would not pass, otherwise I just gave the customer a voucher).

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

18 Dec 2014 19:18 #13 by Rick

Crap, I hope that doesn't apply to a '96 Geo Metro - I've always got a sensor going bad. I carry a bluetooth OBD2 interface with me so I can reset it on the road :)

Those Metros have always surprised me by the way they keep going and going with such a small engine and small everything. My son's football coach has one and he's a good 250 lbs... I've seen him haul away three kids 200 - 250 after practice and those 12" tires look like they are ready to blow, car lowered to the bump stops. He can't kill the damn thing.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

19 Dec 2014 07:10 #14 by homeagain
Rick, what a GREAT thread, and your generosity is TRULY appreciated...I will be using your expertise in the future..we have 2 cars and a Toyota Tundra. :caribouxmas
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

19 Dec 2014 07:26 #15 by Nobody that matters

Rick wrote:

Those Metros have always surprised me by the way they keep going and going with such a small engine and small everything. My son's football coach has one and he's a good 250 lbs... I've seen him haul away three kids 200 - 250 after practice and those 12" tires look like they are ready to blow, car lowered to the bump stops. He can't kill the damn thing.

Gave a coworker a ride home the other day. check engine light came on,and he kind of freaked... "Pull over, that means somethings gone really wrong." I plugged in the reader, handed him my phone and stepped him through connecting and clearing the code. It's a bad connection on the crank position sensor that I've never been able to find. I used to think that VW Bugs were the heartiest cars - able to fix 'em with a broken wrench and a screwdriver. But the Metro keeps on chugging despite the previous owner's best attempts at creating a modern art wiring system :)

Never even stopped the car :) Now my coworker wants one of the OBD2 interfaces as well.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

19 Dec 2014 09:52 #16 by Rick
Everyone should have an OBDII reader, they are cheap and can give the owner a little help when taking the car to a shop for repairs. If you go to a mechanic and act like you have no idea what the problem is, that gives an easy opening for a dishonest mechanic to screw you. If you walk in and tell them you believe you have a misfire on #3 cylinder (because that's what your scanner told you), that tells the mechanic you may not be the right sucker for him to exploit. You are obviously someone who has some knowledge and it sounds like you do some work yourself, which will save you a lot of money. Unfortunately those code readers don't work with ABS or airbag lights which require more sophisticated scanners. I've been known to trade the use of my comprehensive scanner for a good breakfast burrito B)

George Orwell

19 Dec 2014 09:53 #17 by Rick

homeagain wrote: Rick, what a GREAT thread, and your generosity is TRULY appreciated...I will be using your expertise in the future..we have 2 cars and a Toyota Tundra. :caribouxmas

You bet Home, glad to help if I can.

George Orwell

19 Dec 2014 10:13 #18 by Blazer Bob

Rick wrote: Everyone should have an OBDII reader, they are cheap and can give the owner a little help when taking the car to a shop for repairs.)

Does it require a hard wire connection to talk to the car? If so...?

19 Dec 2014 10:30 - 19 Dec 2014 10:30 #19 by Nobody that matters

BlazerBob wrote:

Rick wrote: Everyone should have an OBDII reader, they are cheap and can give the owner a little help when taking the car to a shop for repairs.)

Does it require a hard wire connection to talk to the car? If so...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-II-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-/300870978320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d4ecb10

Here's mine - and I installed OBD2 Car Doctor Free on my phone.

Rick probably knows of better ones though - I just bought what was cheap.

19 Dec 2014 10:37 #20 by Nobody that matters

Rick wrote: Everyone should have an OBDII reader, they are cheap and can give the owner a little help when taking the car to a shop for repairs. If you go to a mechanic and act like you have no idea what the problem is, that gives an easy opening for a dishonest mechanic to screw you. If you walk in and tell them you believe you have a misfire on #3 cylinder (because that's what your scanner told you), that tells the mechanic you may not be the right sucker for him to exploit. You are obviously someone who has some knowledge and it sounds like you do some work yourself, which will save you a lot of money. Unfortunately those code readers don't work with ABS or airbag lights which require more sophisticated scanners. I've been known to trade the use of my comprehensive scanner for a good breakfast burrito B)

I'm gonna keep that in mind... My '08 Commander was displaying a warning about the airbags. I had to go to the dealership and pay them to read the codes. The tech slipped up and told me the exact code, so I avoided their $900 estimated job by doing an internet search, buying a $190 clock spring connector for the steering wheel and replacing it myself in a couple of hours.

This thread is a very good thing you're doing, Rick. Thank you.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds