Car talk? Free Repair Advice from an Expert?

23 Mar 2015 07:10 #61 by Nobody that matters
I had a power steering unit (not the pump) that would only leak a little during each of the turns. When it was just sitting it was fine. It never left a puddle because it only came out when I was driving - until I decided to test it in the shop by cranking the steering from lock to lock (don't do that on a concrete floor with studded snow tires on, BTW). That's when I saw the drips.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Mar 2015 18:11 #62 by gmule

Nobody that matters wrote: I had a power steering unit (not the pump) that would only leak a little during each of the turns. When it was just sitting it was fine. It never left a puddle because it only came out when I was driving - until I decided to test it in the shop by cranking the steering from lock to lock (don't do that on a concrete floor with studded snow tires on, BTW). That's when I saw the drips.

I would agree with this. Also look around back behind the pump the pump and see if the leaking fluid may have been blown back from the wind created while driving.

Not sure what year or style of Jeep you have but the WJ's have a cooling fan that is driven via the power steering pump and one of those lines could be leaking.

29 Mar 2015 20:45 #63 by otisptoadwater
Got under the hood of my WJ (in line 6/4.0 liter) this morning and took a hard look at the power steering pump and the hoses, sure enough there are pin holes on the high pressure side where the hose goes into the steering box. Took me some time to find the leak because the leak was basically a cloud of oil mist instead of a proper gusher.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

29 Mar 2015 20:46 #64 by otisptoadwater
This is the kind of thing that will ruin your whole day:

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

31 May 2015 19:17 #65 by otisptoadwater
Nephew's 199-something Honda Accord AC is blowing hot air. Took a look and the compressor clutch is engaging when it should but no cold air at the vents. I'm guessing he needs more refrigerant but it's an R12 system, buying that stuff is like trying to buy thermonuclear weapons on the black market! Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I figure AC is like beer, sex, and money. Some is always going to be better than none! The nephew thanks you in advance!

:)

29 Jun 2015 23:33 #66 by otisptoadwater
Anyone else have a canine companion who likes to poke around under a vehicle while you're working on it?

B) :cheer:

25 Jan 2016 21:22 - 25 Jan 2016 21:22 #67 by ScienceChic
Hey Rick, a member on one of the community groups posed this question below. I was wondering if you might have some advice? Thanks!

I am starting a sounding board for a personal (Automotive) problem I am having:
My 1998 Subaru Forester had an engine swap done this weekend. It is now losing power (drastic drops in RPMs), to the point that it dies while in idle (even when driving). We have ran an OBD2 scan multiple times, and it comes back clear of any codes. I am looking for ANY and all personal experience with this kind of problem, and any suggestions. We are stumped.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

25 Jan 2016 21:40 #68 by Rick
If it was just swapped, it's usually something that didn't get connected or was installed incorrectly. Sounds like a fuel problem assuming the timing belt was installed correctly. Was the new engine running good to your knowledge or was it a salvage yard motor? One tooth off on the timing belt will do that and may not show a code. Does it seem to run smooth or is it rough when it's running? Just need more background on the swap, I've rebuilt los of those motors.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

25 Jan 2016 21:46 #69 by otisptoadwater
I'm sure Rick has better answers than I do and I hope no one minds me jumping in uninvited. My first instincts would be to check the ignition and fuel systems. Make sure the alternator is working and providing the correct voltage, check the plugs to make sure they are all firing and not incorrectly gaped or wet. From there check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. Also check the air filter to make sure your engine is getting plenty of air. If none of that helps take the car back to the engine builder, there could be a problem with the crank, bearings installed backwards, or other problems with the timing, timing chain, or the cam. Best of luck to the owner of this vehicle, sometimes it's worth the money to by a crate motor instead and get a fresh start.

25 Jan 2016 22:08 - 25 Jan 2016 22:13 #70 by ScienceChic
All ideas welcome anytime otis! Thanks!

Here are some of her other comments:
The car idles fine until the engine reaches operating temperature.
Timing was done recently.
The swap was to fix a head gasket.
Spark plugs are new.
Throttle sensor was replaced today.
No loose belts.
We swapped an identical engine from a Legacy in.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds