Car talk? Free Repair Advice from an Expert?

29 Jan 2015 09:00 #51 by Rick

LOL wrote: Dear Mr. Mechanic,

About a month ago I replaced my passenger side headlight. Tonite my driver side headlight is out.

Should I get a new car, or just drive during the day?

signed Confused and Fed up, and in the dark.

P.S. why isn't there a headlight is wearing out warning indicator, or an Obamaheadlightcare subsidy?

Thanks! :)

LOL, as a good steward of the environment, I would recommend, NO, I demand you convert your high temp/short life bulbs with LEDs. Until that day arrives, take the bus and stfu about it!

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2015 09:03 #52 by Rick

otisptoadwater wrote: Assuming that both headlights are about the same age it's best to replace both of them when one burns out, hold on to the bulb that still works as an emergency spare. Why? I'd like to claim that I can prove that lamps burn at consistent rates and therefore two bulbs of the same age and manufacture should last about the same amount of time, I don't have time for all that - ask UL labs. I do remember as a little fellow asking my Dad and Grandpa why they would replace two bulbs when only one was burnt out to which I was given sage advice along the lines of "...you ask a lot of questions. If you must know the reason you replace them both is because that's the right way to do it.

Later in life I came to accept that advice and even found some solace in the knowledge that I would only have to figure out how to get to the bulbs in these newer cars a couple of time over the lifetime of the car if I just replaced them both at the same time. Another benefit would be that the lamps will give off equal amounts of light so you won't have a dim side if you replace both at the same time.

REMEMBER - if you're replacing halogen lamps DO NOT TOUCH THE SURFACE OF THE BULBS WITH YOUR BARE SKIN!!! That $15 a bulb extra fancy blue light lamp will burn out extra quick-fast if the oils from your skin get on the bulb. Wear gloves, nitrile or some other form of new latex based glove works best.

:lightbulb: :lightbulb: B)

Edited to say sorry for stealing your thunder Rick!

Feel free to post your own words of wisdom anytime man... good tip about not touching the bulb glass, they should put that warning on the front of every bulb package (but they wouldn't sell as many bulbs).

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

17 Mar 2015 19:37 - 17 Mar 2015 19:44 #53 by LOL
Should I buy Metric wrenches or English. 13mm or 1/2 inch. What size are my Lug nuts?

And WhatTF is with the new European Horsepower ratings? CV

Halarious!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

French and Italian tax horsepower (CV)

CV is a non-linear rating of a motor vehicle for tax purposes.[18] The CV rating, or fiscal power, is \scriptstyle\left(\tfrac{P}{40}\right)^{1.6} + \tfrac{U}{45}, where P is the maximum power in kilowatts and U is the amount of carbon dioxide (CO2) emitted in grams per kilometre.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

17 Mar 2015 23:33 #54 by Blazer Bob
On a tangent but I want to give a plug to Ivan at Sweet Peas Auto service. I have a quote to replace a whole bunch of parts from another repair shop to the tune of $660.

I had Ivan look at it. He tightened a bolt, would not accept any $ for his time and told me to come back when I had a real issues.

18 Mar 2015 10:15 #55 by PrintSmith
I've got a question for you Rick -

Yesterday the clear return fuel line in my TDI sprung a leak (whatever happened to German quality, it only lasted 432K miles). Right now I have some generic bulk fuel line from an auto parts store rated to 50 psi replacing it, but I have a concern that line made for gasoline engines and diesel fuel might not be compatible long term given the differences in the chemistry of the fuel types. VAG wants about $130 for a new set of lines (yes, only sold as a set) but I really don't want to spend the scratch unless I have to. Line I had on hand was 1/4" and the nipples on the filter and injection pump are more likely 5/16" (8mm), so what I have right now is only a temporary fix until I decide what to do. Any insight greatly appreciated.

18 Mar 2015 16:40 #56 by gmule
After that many miles on the vehicle I would say that you got your moneys worth out of that fuel line. If it was my vehicle I would opt to replace both lines due to age. If it has failed once chances are it will most likely fail again.

18 Mar 2015 18:59 - 18 Mar 2015 18:59 #57 by otisptoadwater

PrintSmith wrote: I've got a question for you Rick -

Yesterday the clear return fuel line in my TDI sprung a leak (whatever happened to German quality, it only lasted 432K miles). <snip> VAG wants about $130 for a new set of lines (yes, only sold as a set) but I really don't want to spend the scratch unless I have to.

I'm with gmule on this one, spend the money to get new hoses and install them both at the same time. While you're under the hood take care not to scrape any dirt off of anything while you're working, dirt may be all that's holding the other stuff together at this point!

B)

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

18 Mar 2015 20:55 - 18 Mar 2015 20:55 #58 by gmule

otisptoadwater wrote:

PrintSmith wrote: I've got a question for you Rick -

Yesterday the clear return fuel line in my TDI sprung a leak (whatever happened to German quality, it only lasted 432K miles). <snip> VAG wants about $130 for a new set of lines (yes, only sold as a set) but I really don't want to spend the scratch unless I have to.

While you're under the hood take care not to scrape any dirt off of anything while you're working, dirt may be all that's holding the other stuff together at this point!

B)

You don't know how right you are with the VW's and Audi's. There are so many brittle plastic vacuum lines on those things. I cringe every time one comes into the shop and I have to work on them because I know that I will fix one thing and 2 other unrelated items will break.

19 Mar 2015 19:49 #59 by otisptoadwater
I wonder if this voided the warranty...

:happysnow:

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

21 Mar 2015 20:35 #60 by otisptoadwater
SO, there I was backing out of a parking space at my favorite big box store on my weekly run for possibles, fuel, and liquid courage supplies. As I backed out of the parking space I felt the steering wheel seize up as I had the wheel cranked over to the right. Clutch back in and a little gas and the power steering came right back to normal. Low on power steering fluid? Bingo Ringo! Topped off the power steering fluid reservoir upon return to the Cave and all is well.

What's weird about that? No new puddles under the Heep and no evidence of leaks from the power steering pump, hoses, or the steering gear. No new noises from the power train either. Recently changed the oil and replaced the serpentine belt but can't attribute that to a loss of power steering fluid. Where did the power steering fluid go?

:huh: :dry:

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds