FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

09 Mar 2011 19:19 #1 by deltamrey
I had DSL installed recently (after seven years of Hughesnet) and the technician told me that fiber optics had been laid in the rights of way up the mountain. Can anyone verify this and if so, who laid the cable and where is it ? Thanks for any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Mar 2011 19:37 #2 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Fiber has been laid up here for years. I know Qwest has fiber up to at least Crow Hill.

09 Mar 2011 19:44 #3 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I have not heard of this. what's the source? and where is crow hill? I would LOVE IT, but have not heard anything not even from Qwest

09 Mar 2011 19:51 #4 by Wily Fox aka Angela
here's a site I found - nothing about that up here and maybe it WILL come to the larger cities in the greater metro area

http://www.fiberopticinternet.com/provi ... ado-CO.php

09 Mar 2011 20:01 #5 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I found this forum.... reading now

https://forums.qwest.com/forums/viewfor ... e8fec1fc3d
I registered for the forum and sent a PM to the dude that can look up deployment information on phone numbers... I'll report what he says

09 Mar 2011 20:37 #6 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
XP - can you source your info ??

09 Mar 2011 21:16 #7 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
This is only what I actually know. There is fiber up here in the mountains. As for fiber out pass Pine Junction, unless it was installed after 2004 it is all copper. There use to be a real problem with noise on the lines. That was due to a contractor that did not properly ground the cables. DSL works off T1's. You have to have the cable available to have DSL Does matter if it is fiber or copper. Unless you are close to the central office you are working of of a pair gain system. It is a digital system, again you still have to have T1's. A bank of 96 numbers requires 4 T1's. DSL is similiar. Still have to have T1's. That is why there is no DSL feed out of the box at the ballfields on Bluebird. Not enough cable to supply the lines and DSL. But it is copper and not Fiber. Unless like I said it was done after 2004

10 Mar 2011 00:12 #8 by pineinthegrass
Please please please!

I'd even trade my couch scrachting cat for 3mbs or faster cable or DSL! Couldn't even imagine 7mbs

OK, you got my hopes up. Not that I expect anything soon....

10 Mar 2011 05:50 #9 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Folks are confusing the fact there is fiber up here used by Qwest with the idea they can get fiber to their house.

The fiber up here is used by Qwest to provide their core services, not to run to homes (i.e. their backbone).

The cost to bring fiber to homes up here is prohibitive and IMHO you will never have this service up here. Technologies like LTE & Wimax (over the air high speed) will be your high speed gateways in the future.

10 Mar 2011 06:59 #10 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
a while back we had looked at property outside of Colorado City, the local phone company was supplying fiber to the curb on any new developement, and was replacing all their existing copper with fiber.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds