FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

10 Mar 2011 07:15 #11 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Few if any home appliances can use fiber (light sources). BUT many government, public services, and businesses are now on fiber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 07:31 #12 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Why would one need to run fiber to the house and then fiber throughout a house for appliances?

99.9% of appliances don't even have a wireless radio, which would be more feasible than fiber.

FYI, if fiber is run to a home, the fiber is terminated and signal goes through a converter and normally run on Cat 6 to a WIFI router in the home.

10 Mar 2011 08:18 #13 by deltamrey
Uhhhhh....XP - the term "appliance" has nothing to do with your stove. You are way over your head. For any device to use the fiber backbone (where ever in may be installed) the signals over fiber must be converted from light frequencies to common current carrying devices - or the "appliance" must use light signals -- stand alone. This is evolving slowly......but coming for sure. I have heard some of the backbone in up here - simple query.

10 Mar 2011 08:33 #14 by V_A

deltamrey wrote: Few if any home appliances can use fiber (light sources). .

Don't ask us to be mind readers, the term home appliances to 99% of the people as used above means stoves, fridges etc.

I'm not in over my head, I have likely forgotten more about telecom than you have ever known.

10 Mar 2011 08:57 #15 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

FYI, if fiber is run to a home, the fiber is terminated and signal goes through a converter and normally run on Cat 6 to a WIFI router in the home.

:yeahthat:

I took "appliance" to mean any device in the home that might communicate with the outside world or with any other devices within the house.

10 Mar 2011 09:03 #16 by Nobody that matters

deltamrey wrote: Few if any home appliances can use fiber (light sources). BUT many government, public services, and businesses are now on fiber.

I don't get it. Are you telling us there's fiber, or asking if there's fiber?

We've got it on our road, but it's still twisted pair to the houses. I wouldn't pay for any upgrade since DSL is plenty fast enough for me to telecommute. I know some of the business properties have fiber run to 'em as well.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

10 Mar 2011 09:19 #17 by deltamrey
I am asking for credible information. Can you source your info ?? 15 years ago I lived in an Atlanta suburb - we had fiber all over the area - my yard wad trenched as the trunk was laid..........I am well aware residences yet to have fiber as a rule (but is starting). The fiber there connected city services and hospitals with amazing content. A hope up here in the boon docks is that real IT centers can be established (but we have low skills) in the future. There is a reason that Google is establishing a huge presence in Boulder - the skills are there or near. Now, maybe we can get skilled professionals up here and occupy the thousands of foreclosed homes and spend real $$$ here (then snow plowing maybe viable again). Real answers are actually available.

10 Mar 2011 09:27 #18 by deltamrey
Pardon my typos in my last on this topic - on the second cup. IF interested here is a course (FREE) that may help you grasp a few fundamentals:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-e ... ring-2006/

This course explores the fundamentals of optical and optoelectronic phenomena and devices based on classical and quantum properties of radiation and matter culminating in lasers and applications. Fundamentals include: Maxwell's electromagnetic waves, resonators and beams, classical ray optics and optical systems, quantum theory of light, matter and its interaction, classical and quantum noise, lasers and laser dynamics, continuous wave and short pulse generation, light modulation; examples from integrated optics and semiconductor optoelectronics and nonlinear optics.

10 Mar 2011 09:28 #19 by V_A
Qwest is the source, they own & maintain the fiber.

10 Mar 2011 09:36 #20 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Boulder is a university town and already has many high tech companies in the area. Call centers bring lots of jobs, albeit low skill jobs, IT centers bring very few jobs. Many of the current sysadmin functions can now be done remotely. I think you’d very surprised at how many working people up here are already working those IT jobs.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds