FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

10 Mar 2011 20:52 #31 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

deltamrey wrote: Chief - thanks for the info (me - MMC(SS))

ICC(SW/AW) worked in the hole. Was E div. Wouldn't have it any other way. Only problem was I got qualed and schooled on the MK 19 Gyro. Carriers only after that. Always good to see another Chief.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 21:45 #32 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
You are a fair debater.......good to meet a real brother. I was in NAVOCS when I made E-7.....NESEP. Then spent five years as a deck officer on tin cans in 'Nam - later Rickover recalled me to the sub service. Where did all that time go.......what a ride.

10 Mar 2011 21:52 #33 by deltamrey
The fiber optics "thing"......I have a buddy in Menlo Park (center of the tech universe) that has an idea that might just work up here. It will save gas (oil boys rip off) and keep folks here. He proposes kiosks that are hubs served by server farms and provide a place for IT workers (of various ilks) to conduct business. Lets say Lockheed engineers that need high end support but not needed in a cubicle down the hill. The facilities could be serviced by HS links (thus the fiber issue) with a cafeteria, parking, rec facility
a techie campus. These seem well suited for our mountains - high quality jobs, less traffic, green to the core. Any comments ??

10 Mar 2011 21:59 #34 by Local_Historian
Del, hun, people are already doing that, fom their own homes. But there is a perfect building sitting empty just past the light at Mt. Evans.

Run with it.

Otherwise - provide stats and facts - I want factual links showing these supposed rates of foreclosure and people upside down on their mortgages in this specific area(not all of Jeffco or all of Park), because I know your "fact" about the food banks being almost empty is pure crap - I dropped stuff off at one yesterday, and their shelves were well stocked, with about 20 bags full waiting to be shelved. Nice try, but far from reality.

10 Mar 2011 23:15 #35 by deltamrey
The rates of foreclosure are readily available - I am not your clerk. Food banks are low - fact. You are a BS artist.

10 Mar 2011 23:16 #36 by deltamrey
BTW - the home data entry business is not at all the issue - small potatoes in the back woods. You are way over your head.......and that is not at all hard to do.

11 Mar 2011 01:00 #37 by Local_Historian
Fact - I was in Deer Park Food Pantry yesterday - shelves are full - call and ask. (303) 838-7552 is the number to call and ask if they're so low as to be almost completely out of food as you insist, this is the source that controls most of them.

Unlike you, I can and do back up what I tout with facts and sources. It is the job of the person asserting it as fact to provide the proof.

I'd love to see you in a court of law telling the judge that you're not his clerk when you fail to bring pertinent information on your case. That would be a popcorn event indeed.

LOL - you keep insisting everyone who works from home- full time or part time - up here is doing data entry - talk about full of crap. Not even close to a fact. I haven't done data entry since 1989 myself. I've already made it clear I'm a freelance writer and a milliner. But I don't expect you to know what a milliner is, so here you go, so you aren't strained by research -

mil·li·ner (ml-nr)
n.
One that makes, trims, designs, or sells hats.

I work on contract as well as do my own sales, from home. But go ahead and call that unskilled as well, cause I know you have no clue what it entails.

The writing I do from home as well, except when I'm out doing research. You do know what that is, I presume?

Just down the road is a published author, several times over. A quarter of a mile away is a blacksmith, a skilled artisan in new as well as old school methods. A couple miles away is a successful pottery studio, etc. The area is filled with these folks, yet you insist everyone working from their homes is working for minimum wage doing drudge work. Why do you insist this without the facts?

You know, the city life you crave is only 45 minutes away, surely you can manage to follow the highway?

11 Mar 2011 03:56 #38 by V_A
Replied by V_A on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
deltamrey is trolling.

His "facts" have no reality, he thinks most of the people up here are stupid, have lost their homes, etc etc etc

deltamrey, there are many people up here that are highly skilled and many of them are busy working or commuting to the metro area.

If were smart and educated you would come to the forum with ideas and solutions. Instead you piss & moan like a 2 year old.

deltamrey wrote: BTW I hear the babble about all the high skilled folks up here......BUT 30%+ of the homes here are in foreclosuer, 50%+ are underwater, schools are depopulated, food banks empty - or nearly so......gimme a break. AND few solutions beyond techno babble BS are evident. The usual answer is: "if you do not like it - move out"......amazingly stupid locals. Guess what - folks have and are moving out.

Do you have ANY plausible solutions ?

11 Mar 2011 07:38 #39 by Nobody that matters

deltamrey wrote: Define quality of life - I resent your implication. Remember ASSUME makes an ass of U and ME.

I live in Evergreen. I'm a programmer, and so is my wife. We decided to live up here because we wanted our kids raised in a small town atmosphere, not in a Denver suburb. We wanted them to appreciate nature by being raised in it, not just near it. We bought our land in the late '80s when prices were incredibly low. There were foreclosures and abandoned homes in all the neighborhoods. We basically stole the property from a couple of people that lived out of state and just wanted out from under the tax burden.

We saved, and we rezoned the land (there were questionable boundaries and illegal subdivisions we had to clear up). We paid to have the sewer main extended. We did it as money allowed. We both were doing contract work as COBOL programmers just prior to Y2K, which means the money was rolling in.

We built our house in the late '90s and moved in. We did a bunch of the work ourselves, and the day we moved in had 50% equity on the house.

We've survived several rounds of unemployment, and my wife has been a stay at home mom since we moved up here. We decided to find our home and stay put - finding jobs around us rather than what our co-workers were doing which was to chase jobs all over the country. We know people that have left for both coasts chasing jobs. I've done tree trimming and thinning, manufacturing work, built stone walls, hauled furniture and junk... any job that kept us here while the Denver programming market suffered. I had neighbors help me out. Not charity, I gave them an honest day's work fo an honest day's pay. One neighbor that owned his own company hired me even though I didn't have the experience he needed. He put me (and my family) on his health insurance plan. For a short time, a local store knew we were in dire straits. They ran a line of credit to allow us to buy necessities for the kids. That store has my eternal gratitude and loyalty.

I live in Evergreen. Why? Because I like it. It's my home. I know my neighbors. I may not like them, I may disagree with them, but if they are in trouble I'll be there for them. This is the atmosphere I wanted my kids to know as they formed their opinions of the world. I don't want them to be in a cookie cutter house on a developed 'ranch' somewhere on the flatlands.

I don't like mindset down there. I don't care if they have amenities we don't. They can have their tennis courts, swimming pools and skate parks. They can have their crime rates, and their 4G service on their smart phones.

We moved up here to escape that. I live in Evergreen rec district. Lately I've used to pools to teach my kids to swim. For three of us to have three month passes, it cost about $300 on top of all the taxes I've already paid. Know what the centerpiece of the Buchanon rec center is? A climbing rock. Yup. A fake rock. In the mountains. And I was forced to help pay for it. Know where my kids are learning to climb? 400 feet from our kitchen door on a real granite cliff.

I have DSL service to my house. We got that about two years ago, it wasn't available until then. Before that we had dial up. To use a cell phone you had to stand out on the end of the deck and lean a little to get a signal. The cell service has not improved and I like that. I shut off the cell when I get home anyway.

I don't need high tech. I don't need fancy rec centers. I don't need what suburbia has to offer.

I need the forest. I'd rather worry about a predictable mountain lion than an unpredictable crack head mugger. I need neighbors that I can count on. I need to make sure they can count on me too. I need to hear wind in the trees, birds, and elk during rut. I don't need to hear cell phones, booming bass cannons and the next door neighbor's argument through a common wall.

When I get into my Jeep at work in the flatlands, I tap my heels on the rock rail to knock off the Denver dirt. I spend the commute time putting to rest and leaving behind the rush of the metro area. By the time I get to El Rancho, I've been staring at the trees and that great view just shy of Chief Hosa. I've shaken off the high tech trappings of 'civilization', and am ready to be home. I physically slow down and relax. I leave all that crap behind me, refusing to drag it up the hill with me.

Quality of life is finding what you want, and enjoying it daily. If your current home doesn't give you what you want, you might think about moving someplace more ambitious about growth. Evergreen already has too much for me, and when I retire I'll be leaving - heading someplace more remote, where cell phones are useless and the only rec district is the local pub.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

11 Mar 2011 07:44 #40 by Nobody that matters

deltamrey wrote: The fiber optics "thing"......I have a buddy in Menlo Park (center of the tech universe) that has an idea that might just work up here. It will save gas (oil boys rip off) and keep folks here. He proposes kiosks that are hubs served by server farms and provide a place for IT workers (of various ilks) to conduct business. Lets say Lockheed engineers that need high end support but not needed in a cubicle down the hill. The facilities could be serviced by HS links (thus the fiber issue) with a cafeteria, parking, rec facility

a techie campus. These seem well suited for our mountains - high quality jobs, less traffic, green to the core. Any comments ??

If I didn't have DSL available, I might be interested in a local cubicle that I could use instead of going down the hill. It would have to have a chair and a decent machine with a good connection.

Cafeteria? nope. Part of the appeal of working from home is eating my wife's cooking.

Rec facility? Nope again. Not needed, not wanted.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds