FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

10 Mar 2011 10:01 #21 by deltamrey
Replied by deltamrey on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
I would not be - at home data entry is not at all high skill - and low pay. BUT those skilled do go down the hill......and bring the $$$$ up......thanks for so affirming. A large % here are camp followers that live off the wealth moving up the hill. Thanks.

Writing code, building server farms - and maintaining them is a skilled effort......not data entry.

IF a solid firm after real research felt skills were here with fiber links and satellite links a real job engine might be a reality here. Old boozer hippies is not a solid base.........and they are isolated here for good reason. Just visit the local watering holes at 2:00 PM - they are full of camp followers (most on the dole) out of work- obviously.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Mar 2011 10:17 #22 by deltamrey
BTW I hear the babble about all the high skilled folks up here......BUT 30%+ of the homes here are in foreclosuer, 50%+ are underwater, schools are depopulated, food banks empty - or nearly so......gimme a break. AND few solutions beyond techno babble BS are evident. The usual answer is: "if you do not like it - move out"......amazingly stupid locals. Guess what - folks have and are moving out.

Do you have ANY plausible solutions ?

10 Mar 2011 13:14 #23 by Grady
Replied by Grady on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

Writing code, building server farms - and maintaining them is a skilled effort......not data entry.

I would say that good code writing is as much an art as it is a skill. As for building and maintaining server farms I would say semi skilled or actually a set of specialized skills. I manage a set of FEs who are doing the building and maintaining of server farms daily. Data entry really?

As far as

“BUT 30%+ of the homes here are in foreclosure, 50%+ are underwater, schools are depopulated, food banks empty”

have you taken a look at your beloved east bay lately? And we don’t have to put up with the traffic, taxes and crime so prevalent in the east bay.

10 Mar 2011 13:17 #24 by Nobody that matters

deltamrey wrote: BTW I hear the babble about all the high skilled folks up here......BUT 30%+ of the homes here are in foreclosuer, 50%+ are underwater, schools are depopulated, food banks empty - or nearly so......gimme a break. AND few solutions beyond techno babble BS are evident. The usual answer is: "if you do not like it - move out"......amazingly stupid locals. Guess what - folks have and are moving out.

Do you have ANY plausible solutions ?

You can't 'solve' a normal cycle.

Wait 5 years. It'll be better.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

10 Mar 2011 14:28 #25 by navycpo7
Replied by navycpo7 on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL

deltamrey wrote: I am asking for credible information. Can you source your info ?? 15 years ago I lived in an Atlanta suburb - we had fiber all over the area - my yard wad trenched as the trunk was laid..........I am well aware residences yet to have fiber as a rule (but is starting). The fiber there connected city services and hospitals with amazing content. A hope up here in the boon docks is that real IT centers can be established (but we have low skills) in the future. There is a reason that Google is establishing a huge presence in Boulder - the skills are there or near. Now, maybe we can get skilled professionals up here and occupy the thousands of foreclosed homes and spend real $$$ here (then snow plowing maybe viable again). Real answers are actually available.

I worked for USWEST/QWEST up until dec of 2003. Was a field supervisor. Here is what I knew as of when I left. There is fiber up to the CO in PJ. From there heading this way towards Bailey it is copper. Unless fiber was installed since then. I do not remember that happening. the Pairgain systems use T1's to allow the Pairgain system to work. DSL also needs T1's so if there is not enough pairs for the DSLAM then they cannot put it in. EX of that is the lack of DSL at the Bluebird Box by the ball fields. DSL does not need a seperate pair of wires to the house to get it. It piggy backs on with the phone line, thus the splitter that is required in the house. In Denver and the closer suburbs have fiber to the curb.

10 Mar 2011 19:50 #26 by deltamrey
"have you taken a look at your beloved east bay lately? And we don’t have to put up with the traffic, taxes and crime so prevalent in the east bay."

I spent two weeks in my beloved East bay in February - while the locals here were freezing butt in a blizzard. Trees in bloom, great wine country, excellent seafood in the forth largest economy in the world. Sophisticated citizens, great restaurants, excellent schools.......list is long.

Crime rates in the area are no worse than Denver and so far no Columbines or Platt High murders that I know of. Taxes - you pay for what you get - here it is marginal to say the least.

FYI I stayed in a Residence Inn in Sunnyvale - had breakfast daily in the breakfast area - 90% Asians - and the firms there were paying $5000.00/month for each - hotel was packed. They are salaried at about $150,000.00 a year in addition to the hotel and board ($75/a day). Where are the Americans - we cannot cut it !!! Poor little Silicone Valley seems to be doing just fine but has to import the skills to permit Gates to stay the second richest man on earth. Up here many are eating out of garbage cans looking for minimum wage jobs - not smart to open this discussion.

Do you have any solutions for the poor souls up here ? This is a depression and NOT just a cycle. The streets are getting mean with much more to follow IMHO.

10 Mar 2011 19:51 #27 by deltamrey
Chief - thanks for the info (me - MMC(SS))

10 Mar 2011 20:18 #28 by jf1acai
Replied by jf1acai on topic FIBER OPTICS UP THE HILL
Not everyone places $$$ at the top of their priority list, some of us consider quality of life to be at least as important, if not more so.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Mar 2011 20:47 #29 by deltamrey
Define quality of life - I resent your implication. Remember ASSUME makes an ass of U and ME.

10 Mar 2011 20:47 #30 by deltamrey
Define quality of life - I resent your implication. Remember ASSUME makes an ass of U and ME.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds