Japan earthquake and tsunami

11 Mar 2011 10:30 #21 by FredHayek
Been watching stills from all over Japan, amazing devastation and now they say a nuclear plant is having trouble maintaining its cooling facilities.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2011 10:31 #22 by Martin Ent Inc
Atlantis?

Seriously I think they over reported as We have watched and are looking at picture updates. Maybe they thought it did becuase of the tsunami.

11 Mar 2011 10:34 #23 by AspenValley
I'm worried about the nuclear reactor that is having troubles. They keep saying they will have some kind of cooling system back up "soon" but I just heard that in some places the rods are exposed. That sounds like a serious, serious problem.

11 Mar 2011 10:35 #24 by Rockdoc

ComputerBreath wrote: I'm curious about the huge chunk of earth that broke off under the ocean/sea. It was reported on KOA radio this morning as I was driving to work and I haven't been able to find anything else about this on any news sites.

I've not seen or heard anything about this. Continental shelf margins are fairly steep features and large earthquakes have the potential for causing huge submarine slides that could involve "huge chunk{s} of earth". I'll keep my attention open for such reports.

11 Mar 2011 10:37 #25 by Rockdoc

AspenValley wrote: I'm worried about the nuclear reactor that is having troubles. They keep saying they will have some kind of cooling system back up "soon" but I just heard that in some places the rods are exposed. That sounds like a serious, serious problem.

Not heard anything further than the cooling issues and that most nuclear plants are engineered to deal with earthquakes of 7 or lower. Let's hope that the situation is not one of exposed rods.

11 Mar 2011 10:41 #26 by kresspin
Nothing broke off under the sea.. they don't know what they are talking about.

CNN said the 8.9 is 8,000 times more powerful than the earthquake that hit New Zealand. Perhaps someone with knowledge can explain that. I know the jump of one point on the logarithmic scale is exponentially higher (10 times as powerful as a point below). I'm not sure how CNN came up wih an 8,000 times increase.

11 Mar 2011 10:45 #27 by AspenValley

Rockdoc Franz wrote:

AspenValley wrote: I'm worried about the nuclear reactor that is having troubles. They keep saying they will have some kind of cooling system back up "soon" but I just heard that in some places the rods are exposed. That sounds like a serious, serious problem.

Not heard anything further than the cooling issues and that most nuclear plants are engineered to deal with earthquakes of 7 or lower. Let's hope that the situation is not one of exposed rods.

From what I heard, both the plant's primary cooling system and backup system was destroyed and essentially there is no cooling system functioning at this time. The report said they hoped to have it under control "soon" but provided no details as to how they would do that. The report also mentioned that rods were exposed and may begin melting. They did not give a timeline as to when that might happen but if they are actually exposed, I can't imagine it would take long. I'll try to find something in writing, I heard this on a radio feed.

11 Mar 2011 10:52 #28 by Martin Ent Inc
Reporters need ratings and that stupid award so they are gonna come up with alot of crap that ain't true.

11 Mar 2011 10:56 #29 by AspenValley
I did a quick search and I can't find anyone reporting that the rods are exposed. So either that report was erroneous or I heard it wrong on that point. However, there is lots of concern that there is a possibility of the rods becoming exposed if they can't restore the cooling system. Also I found reports that the radiation levels are rising inside the plant. I have to get some work done now so I don't have time to past the sources but there is a lot of info out there about this.

11 Mar 2011 11:13 #30 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Japan earthquake and tsunami
They said this is 5 strongest earthquake since recording strength. I know they are trying to evacuate. The lack of information is alarming. That usually means they don't have much in the way of communication. We are going to see alot worse news coming up.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds