[youtube:2qp1jb2f]
[/youtube:2qp1jb2f]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Mar 2011 10:46 #72 by Photo-fish
CG, You need to take a fishing break ASAP.

´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`´¯`•...¸><((((º>´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•´¯`•...¸><((((º> ´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.´¯`•...¸><((((º>

13 Mar 2011 11:07 #73 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Japan earthquake and tsunami
LOL, I did 2 days ago. But didn't catch a thing. But I think you are right.

13 Mar 2011 20:36 #74 by CinnamonGirl
I just heard that there is another tsunami warning in Japan.

14 Mar 2011 03:43 #75 by ScienceChic

kresspin wrote: CNN said the 8.9 is 8,000 times more powerful than the earthquake that hit New Zealand. Perhaps someone with knowledge can explain that. I know the jump of one point on the logarithmic scale is exponentially higher (10 times as powerful as a point below). I'm not sure how CNN came up wih an 8,000 times increase.

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_ground_acceleration
Most telling is the chart on Notable Earthquakes comparing Peak Ground Acceleration, Magnitude (Richter scale), and depth. The type of soil will affect the PGA such that there will be varying PGAs in the same earthquake (why you want to be standing on solid bedrock instead of landfill - I have friends who own houses south of San Fran that were built on "reclaimed" bay, the houses "float" on a concrete pad underneath the landfill which is designed to keep it from sinking in the event of liquefaction. Not comfy enough for me. During Loma Prieta, there were reports of people on Alcatraz who felt nothing, but never verified that story), and no two similar magnitude earthquakes will have the same destructive capacity because of the depth of each earthquake differing, geographical locations having different physical characteristics, and whether structures built on those ground types were built to withstand seismic shifts.

Is there anything I missed Rockdoc or lionshead? :)  :Thanks:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Mar 2011 07:43 #76 by CinnamonGirl

14 Mar 2011 08:10 #77 by FredHayek
They have evacuated 180,000 people because of the dangers of radiation, but I would think getting them to places with shelter and electricity are just as important.

One thing to remember, the median age of Japan is one of the oldest in the world and all those older people without food, water, and power could be very deadly. I did love the story about the 60 year old guy who was rescued after his house roof went out to sea.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

14 Mar 2011 10:59 #78 by CinnamonGirl
[youtube:2ot9srg4]
[/youtube:2ot9srg4]

CHIBA CITY JAPAN GROUND CRACKS AND OPENS UP WITH TREMORS

15 Mar 2011 01:56 #79 by CinnamonGirl
Charities Providing Japan Earthquake Relief

http://www.bbb.org/us/article/charities ... lief-26046

Verizon, Sprint, AT&T offering free texting and calls to Japan.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technol ... japan.html

15 Mar 2011 19:59 #80 by CinnamonGirl
The enormous tsunami-spawning earthquake off Japan Friday not only shifted the planet's axis by several inches, it also sped up the Earth's rotation, shortening each day by 1.8 microseconds. Richard Gross, man who calculates these changes at NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, tells PM how he does it—and why those millionths of a second matter. (Hint: If JPL didn't account for it, Mars rovers would miss their targets.)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... ay-shorter

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds