Comment about this site/forum....

10 Jun 2010 10:57 #41 by AspenValley

Becky wrote: I was a little surprised by the observations of cliques. I am not saying it isn't a valid observation, I am just saying I had not noticed anything like that here.
I see nics and names that I have not scene in years once again participating in a community forum.
I see old friends coming back together. I see people making new friends and getting to know people they might not have thought they wanted to know in the past.
I have seen some mending of personal hurt feelings over the last month that has not occurred in years. I am not blaming anyone or anything. I just think that for some folks, this is the first time they have had an opportunity to speak their peace. Once spoken....they move on.
I see people who had been adversaries in the past, enjoying each other in the present.
As Wayne said, I think many groups of friends have invited their other friends to join.
I have sat on the outside looking in for a very long time. I usually pick up on really subtle issues pretty quickly. I just have not seen that here.
Once again AspenValley. I am so glad you have joined us. Pick a group of friends and get settled in. We are all going to have a lot of fun here.
(ok, off to work again) dang! PS. Picnic is at my place! Bring a dish!

Becky, all of those postive things you mention, I see, too. But unfortunately I do see a fair number of posts here that are uncomfortable to read if you have no personal knowledge of the issues or people involved. The best way I can put it is it feels a little like being forced to overhear someone's marital spat through a thin apartment wall.

I understand that a lot of people coming to this site are coming with a little "baggage" from stuff that happened elsewhere and I'm sure it will die down soon. But when I say it felt a little cliquey I meant it felt like in some cases at least people weren't just friends with a group of people, but "enemies" with another group. And I find that kind of embarassing to see publically aired. I'm avoiding reading threads that appear to be going in that direction now that I know they are there, but just knowing they are there makes me a little uneasy.

But maybe that's just me. People certainly have the right to do that if they wish, but I do hope I also have the right to say I find it a little bit uncomfy?

Anyway, if I can I surely will try to make that picnic! I am a good cook, too and will bring something yummy!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 Jun 2010 11:15 #42 by The Viking

AspenValley wrote:

Becky wrote: I was a little surprised by the observations of cliques. I am not saying it isn't a valid observation, I am just saying I had not noticed anything like that here.
I see nics and names that I have not scene in years once again participating in a community forum.
I see old friends coming back together. I see people making new friends and getting to know people they might not have thought they wanted to know in the past.
I have seen some mending of personal hurt feelings over the last month that has not occurred in years. I am not blaming anyone or anything. I just think that for some folks, this is the first time they have had an opportunity to speak their peace. Once spoken....they move on.
I see people who had been adversaries in the past, enjoying each other in the present.
As Wayne said, I think many groups of friends have invited their other friends to join.
I have sat on the outside looking in for a very long time. I usually pick up on really subtle issues pretty quickly. I just have not seen that here.
Once again AspenValley. I am so glad you have joined us. Pick a group of friends and get settled in. We are all going to have a lot of fun here.
(ok, off to work again) dang! PS. Picnic is at my place! Bring a dish!

Becky, all of those postive things you mention, I see, too. But unfortunately I do see a fair number of posts here that are uncomfortable to read if you have no personal knowledge of the issues or people involved. The best way I can put it is it feels a little like being forced to overhear someone's marital spat through a thin apartment wall.

I understand that a lot of people coming to this site are coming with a little "baggage" from stuff that happened elsewhere and I'm sure it will die down soon. But when I say it felt a little cliquey I meant it felt like in some cases at least people weren't just friends with a group of people, but "enemies" with another group. And I find that kind of embarassing to see publically aired. I'm avoiding reading threads that appear to be going in that direction now that I know they are there, but just knowing they are there makes me a little uneasy.

But maybe that's just me. People certainly have the right to do that if they wish, but I do hope I also have the right to say I find it a little bit uncomfy?

Anyway, if I can I surely will try to make that picnic! I am a good cook, too and will bring something yummy!

I know part of those posts are from me. And like I just said in the other thread. Since I was forced off of another site, I finally have a chance to voice my side of the story. You are right. It will fade. I am actually getting over it myself. I am tired of typing about how poorly the other site treated so many people. I think most know and I am ready to just let it die. Will I ever post about it again? Maybe, but I am trying to get back to the fun and political posts. So I will try and watch it and keep myself in check.

Still would love to meet you. :wave:

10 Jun 2010 11:27 #43 by freebird
Aspen Valley - welcome to the site. I look forward to meeting you (and the other people I haven't yet met in person) at the picnic. I'm glad you started this thread. It is preferable to openly raise your concerns about the new site as it allows us to reflect on your points and share our opinions. I see this as a very positive aspect of this place. We can exchange our viewpoints, learn from each other and at times agree to disgree, repectfully.

I'm pleased with the quality of posters (people) I've seen on this board and understand that not everyone will always get along. I think the site's creators had the right idea when they created The Ring subforum as a place for those to handle such disagreements however they want to.

Sunshine, I echo what another poster said earlier in this thread. I really appreciate your time and effort to be the site's 1-woman welcoming committee with your friendly welcoming threads. Thanks!

Becky, I hope I'm in town for the picnic date. I am really looking forward to it.

10 Jun 2010 11:33 #44 by AspenValley

The Viking wrote: [I know part of those posts are from me. And like I just said in the other thread. Since I was forced off of another site, I finally have a chance to voice my side of the story. You are right. It will fade. I am actually getting over it myself. I am tired of typing about how poorly the other site treated so many people. I think most know and I am ready to just let it die. Will I ever post about it again? Maybe, but I am trying to get back to the fun and political posts. So I will try and watch it and keep myself in check.

Still would love to meet you. :wave:

Thanks for that, Vike.

I can understand how you must feel about what happened at Pinecam and even the desire for the vindication of getting a chance to tell "your side of the story".

But it does kind of play into the hands of the very people you have a beef with, doesn't it?

Seems to me the best way to avoid criticism that this site is nothing but a "gripe site" is to just learn to co-exist. I've been on Pinecam a lot of years and I have some gripes with them, too, as I would in any "longterm relationship" but it seems like airing them here would only hurt THIS site and wouldn't do much to change THAT site, ya know?

Anyway, glad to see you here and even if we've clashed in the past over politics, that doesn't mean I have any personal grudge towards you at all. On the contrary, I agree I'd love to meet you, too. I've said this before and I'll say it again, bet we have more in common than we differ on.

10 Jun 2010 11:39 #45 by The Viking
Do to my pledge, I cannot respond to this post at this time. :biggrin:

10 Jun 2010 12:26 #46 by TPP
O RIGHT, Poopyhead!

Hi,AV,
:crossed: I hardly ever post, because I'm so shy and keep things to myself, so you'll have no problems from me... :biggrin:

10 Jun 2010 12:39 #47 by jf1acai

I hardly ever post, because I'm so shy and keep thing to myself, so you'll have no problems from me...

Yep, had to clean the monitor again!

rofllol

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Jun 2010 16:40 #48 by ShilohLady

AspenValley wrote: ... But unfortunately I do see a fair number of posts here that are uncomfortable to read if you have no personal knowledge of the issues or people involved. The best way I can put it is it feels a little like being forced to overhear someone's marital spat through a thin apartment wall.

Frankly if a thread makes me uncomfortable, I just don't read it anymore. I don't worry about the fact that it's there, obviously it's doing something for the posters. Same goes for the thread about who you like better from "Lost" ... since I never watched the show, I haven't opened that thread since I found out what it was about. That's the beauty of a forum, you can pick and choose what you read, you don't have to open every thread in every subforum :Whistle

10 Jun 2010 19:38 #49 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

10 Jun 2010 21:14 #50 by Sunshine Girl

The Viking wrote:

LopingAlong wrote: Good post, Joe. I'll try harder with new posters as well. Thanks!

Speaking of which, Sunshine Girl, I am not sure if you were appointed or just kind of took it on, but I love the way you greet everyone and acknowledge them and make them feel welcome here. Great job! :thumbsup:

Thanks Viking! I do really enjoy it and I love how fast this site has grown. It seems like we have a great crowd over here. :woo hoo:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds