are numbers mounting? OR nothing to see here

30 Jan 2020 07:37 #11 by homeagain

GLOBAL economy is greatly effected....the stats are alarming when global companies are shutting down operations till this is contained......WATCH WHAT HAPPENS....$$$$ revenue
lost for an UNKNOWN period of time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Jan 2020 07:42 #12 by FredHayek
Some of the videos coming out of China look really scary. But here in the US? It does appear to be contained. And I don't think you want to unnecessarily panic the public. President Trump in a tweet yesterday thanked the teams working to keep Coronavirus under check.

Our favorite cruise line normally has a ship that stops at Asian ports for most of the year. The current cruise is no longer finishing up in Shanghai but instead going to Yokohama. And when I checked future cruises, rooms with a balcony have now gone down to less than $50 a day. Probably best just to move that ship to another locale, but even then, I think you will see some people canceling any travel plans. A friend of mine who is a military contractor in the Gulf had recently set up a anniversary getaway in Macao. Luckily they were very good about cancelling and refunding him 95% of his trip.
American fast food places and amusement parks over there are closing too, this is going to hurt their economy badly.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

30 Jan 2020 08:41 - 30 Jan 2020 08:42 #13 by ScienceChic
Johns Hopkins live tracking of virus cases: systems.jhu.edu/

It remains to be seen if this administration's policy of dismantling our departments, and attacking science in particular, will not harm our ability to handle this crisis. To me, this is not worth the risk (mind you, this occurred over a year and a half ago):
Top White House official in charge of pandemic response exits abruptly

The top White House official responsible for leading the U.S. response in the event of a deadly pandemic has left the administration, and the global health security team he oversaw has been disbanded under a reorganization by national security adviser John Bolton.

The abrupt departure of Rear Adm. Timothy Ziemer from the National Security Council means no senior administration official is now focused solely on global health security. Ziemer’s departure, along with the breakup of his team, comes at a time when many experts say the country is already underprepared for the increasing risks of a pandemic or bioterrorism attack.

And this is from 2019: the Trump administration has gutted programs aimed at detecting weapons of mass destruction
Trump administration has gutted programs aimed at detecting weapons of mass destruction

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration has quietly dismantled or cut back multiple programs that were created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to help detect and prevent terrorism involving weapons of mass destruction, a Times investigation has found.

The retreat has taken place over the last two years at the Department of Homeland Security, which has primary domestic responsibility for helping authorities identify and block potential chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats.

China counts 170 virus deaths, new countries find infections
By KEN MORITSUGU, AP News | January 30, 2020

Coronaviruses: An Overview of Their Replication and Pathogenesis
Anthony R. Fehr and Stanley Perlman
Methods Mol. Biol. 2015; 1282: 1-23

As far as mutation rate goes, they've only just sequenced the genome from the first patients and couldn't possibly extrapolate what it's going to do next until they sequence later cases. The last corona virus, SARS, had a moderate mutation rate, estimated at 2-6 base pairs per month. That's not likely to affect the production of a vaccine; however, a vaccine is several months to a year from being available (creation, testing for efficacy and safety, mass production).
Moderate mutation rate in the SARS coronavirus genome and its implications

Experts: nCoV spread in China's cities could trigger global epidemic
Lisa Schnirring | News Editor, Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy | CIDRAP News | Jan 27, 2020

Experts offered new predictions about the current disease burden in Wuhan, which are dramatically higher than what case numbers reflect, adding that some of China's largest cities are seeing sustained transmission and are poised to become the next hot spots.

Projection of 44,000 Wuhan cases
At a media briefing in Hong Kong today, experts from the University of Hong Kong (HKU) estimated that the number of cases in Wuhan as of Jan 25 was dramatically higher than the country's official totals and may be as high as 44,000. They also estimated that the city's cases will double over the next 6 days.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

30 Jan 2020 08:55 #14 by ramage
From the latimes.com article referenced by SC. this articles expresses the view that the Trump administration has gutted programs aimed at detection of WMD's.

"For the first time in years, Homeland Security did not send a unit to protect the NCAA Final Four college basketball championship in April in Minneapolis or to an annual hot air balloon festival last fall in Albuquerque."

30 Jan 2020 09:03 #15 by Blazer Bob

ramage wrote: From the latimes.com article referenced by SC. this articles expresses the view that the Trump administration has gutted programs aimed at detection of WMD's.

"For the first time in years, Homeland Security did not send a unit to protect the NCAA Final Four college basketball championship in April in Minneapolis or to an annual hot air balloon festival last fall in Albuquerque."

Clearly the President hates basketball and hot air balloons. Another good reason to impeach him.

30 Jan 2020 09:08 #16 by homeagain
apnews.com/1c2b286be3024aa6781035dc5e56491d

"offers a rosey take on the virus"........THE ECONOMY(ours and global) and the king is keeping
this problem close to the vest.......it's the economy stupid......the king's pride and joy is poised
to poss. tank...he KNOWS THIS.....we are NOT prepared,so the prudent thing to do is gloss over the gross inadequacy and hope the "peasants" are appeased.... WATCH WHAT HAPPENS

30 Jan 2020 12:15 #17 by homeagain
www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/world/asia/co...8eb2a9ecf034®i_id

WATCH WHAT HAPPENS....person to person transmission in the US.....how will the king
keep the FACTS from K.O.ing his economy???

30 Jan 2020 12:57 - 30 Jan 2020 12:57 #18 by ramage
Blazer Bob, I should have suspected as much when there was no White House announcement that the President had submitted his picks in the NCAA BB tourney, like his predecessor.
Have to confess the hot air balloon festival has me wondering. I thought that the dropping of bombs from hot air balloons fizzled (pardon the pun) early in WWI.

30 Jan 2020 14:47 #19 by ScienceChic
UN agency declares global emergency over virus from China
By MARIA CHENG and JAMEY KEATEN, AP News | 20 minutes ago

But, what you should truly be more concerned about is the flu. If you haven't gotten this year's vaccination yet, it's never too late.
Weekly U.S. Influenza Surveillance Report
CDC, Key Updates for Week 3, ending January 18, 2020

Over 50% of influenza positive test results from public health laboratories this season are in children and young adults (<25 years), while only 12% are in adults aged 65 and older. This has resulted in high levels of outpatient illness, but lower levels of hospitalization and death due to influenza. However, influenza can still cause severe disease in children.

15 additional pediatric deaths were reported this week, bringing the total for the season to 54. Influenza B viruses account for 37 of the 54 reported flu-related pediatric deaths this season.

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 15 million flu illnesses, 140,000 hospitalizations and 8,200 deaths from flu.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

30 Jan 2020 15:24 #20 by FredHayek

ramage wrote: Blazer Bob, I should have suspected as much when there was no White House announcement that the President had submitted his picks in the NCAA BB tourney, like his predecessor.
Have to confess the hot air balloon festival has me wondering. I thought that the dropping of bombs from hot air balloons fizzled (pardon the pun) early in WWI.

B)

Hopefully this is contained and turns out more like SARS or Ebola than Spanish Influenza.
Got my vaccine, wonder how many are working on a Corona vaccine right now.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.600 seconds