are numbers mounting? OR nothing to see here

01 Mar 2020 10:55 #81 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: AMERICA'S first death.....following global trend.....NO they do not understand the transmission.
NO the king/Pence were not proactive, NO this is not going away soon.

www.politico.com/news/2020/03/01/pence-c...-testing-kits-118383 PENCE
acknowledges behind on testing/preparedness......YOUR king's lack of skill set, the price?
YOUR HEALTH.....:angry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

02 Mar 2020 06:38 - 02 Mar 2020 07:01 #82 by homeagain
Study: Virus could have been spreading undetected for weeks in Washington

Trevor Bedford, a computational biologist at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, tweeted Saturday an analysis of a specimen from a new case in Snohomish County closely matched the specimen of the first known coronavirus case in the U.S., a person who had traveled recently from Wuhan, China. He said that indicates the virus has been spreading undetected in Washington for six weeks.

"I believe we're facing an already substantial outbreak in Washington State that was not detected until now due to narrow case definition requiring direct travel to China," Bedford wrote.

Bedford said it appeared they were looking at a few hundred cases.

Two new cases of the coronavirus were reported recently in the Seattle area, according to officials with the Washington State Department of Health. KIRO-TV reports the cases are currently being classified as "presumptive positives," which means a test has come back positive at the Public Health Laboratory and is pending confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
By Caroline Linton

www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/coronavirus...post-update-1f8df0c7

THIS is the huge concern.......approx 6 weeks of contacts UNKNOWN.
link copied

AND NOW THIS......useless, faulty test kits being distributed

www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-...t-kits-idUSKBN20P09Y

02 Mar 2020 10:23 #83 by homeagain

homeagain wrote: www.thereporter.com/2020/02/27/coronavir...-youll-have-to-wait/
CRITICALLY ILL patient hospitalized with the virus,but it was ELEVEN DAYS before any healthcare worker was notified.....THAT is criminal,not enough kits to test. THE KING 'has this",
but is now blaming immigration and the D'S for HIS lack of skill set. With THIS piece of info,do
you REALLY think this will not spread and we have it contained and under control? :angry:[/q
uote]

www.forbes.com/sites/stevedenning/2020/0...sponse/#229a181470b8

LACK OF STRATEGY undermines response......NJMO

02 Mar 2020 11:10 #84 by homeagain
THE reason I keep posting pieces of information on the virus ......facts are powerful.....NOT that the king would provide them.....

apnews.com/3ee23783be9290dd7fb696a2468e5e24 MEDIA FACES CHALLENGES IN COVERING OUTBREAK......

02 Mar 2020 12:52 #85 by homeagain
ANOTHER DEATH, total five.......No understanding of transmission....'BUCKLE UP BUTTERCUP.

02 Mar 2020 13:17 #86 by Pony Soldier

homeagain wrote: THE reason I keep posting pieces of information on the virus ......facts are powerful.....NOT that the king would provide them.....

apnews.com/3ee23783be9290dd7fb696a2468e5e24 MEDIA FACES CHALLENGES IN COVERING OUTBREAK......

The virus may make me sick, but likely not as sick as liberals using it as a hammer to beat Trump make me.

02 Mar 2020 13:48 #87 by ScienceChic
Then don't listen to them. Or politicians who are making highly partisan, rhetoric-based statements for political purposes. Assess what they are doing, follow information from factual sources.

While it's true that the Trump administration disbanded the group that the Obama administration created to help with communication between the various agencies who'd need to work together in this kind of emergency, it's also true that many of the underlying healthcare problems, infrastructure and supply shortages, and misunderstandings by the general public about science have existed for far longer and are hardly their fault. That said, the buck stops with this administration and how it handles this situation as it develops will be its responsibility entirely.

I found this article explaining journalists' point of view in trying to cover this enlightening.

Media faces challenges in covering coronavirus outbreak
By DAVID BAUDER, AP News | today

NEW YORK (AP) — Covering the coronavirus story requires careful navigation and constant attention.

News organizations trying to responsibly report on the growing health crisis are confronted with the task of conveying its seriousness without provoking panic, keeping up with a torrent of information while much remains a mystery and continually advising readers and viewers how to stay safe.

“It’s hard to tell people to put something into context and to calm down when the actions being taken in many cases are very strong or unprecedented,” said Glen Nowak, director of the Grady College Center for Health and Risk Communication at the University of Georgia.

But that’s what journalists in charge of coverage say they need to do.

“I keep reminding the viewers that still, based on two very large studies, the vast majority of people who get this infection are not going to get sick,” said Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN’s medical correspondent. “They’re going to have a mild illness, if any, and they’re going to recover. This tends to be very reassuring to people. But I don’t want to minimize this. We’re dealing with something that is growing and becoming a legitimate pandemic.”

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

02 Mar 2020 14:29 #88 by Pony Soldier
I’m curious how the fatality rate is calculated. Currently we have 100 known cases on the US and 6 fatalities. I know they are saying the rate is around 2%. Does that mean that they believe that there are 200 more undiagnosed cases running around out there? How is this calculated? I had hoped that western medicine might lower the fatality rate but without early diagnosis, it seems that we are in the same boat as the third world.

02 Mar 2020 15:00 #89 by ScienceChic
Case Fatality Rate

Case fatality rate (CFR) is the proportion of deaths within a defined population of interest. Case fatality rate measures the severity of the disease that causes death. For example, among a total of 200 patients with disease A, 20 of them died from the same disease within 30 days; the 30-day case fatality rate = 20/200 ∗ 100 = 10%.

Similar to incidence rate, mortality rate and case fatality rate can be estimated by the number of deaths in a certain person-time.

Case fatality rate is usually calculated for acute infectious diseases.

What you have to keep in mind is that this is a fluid number, not an absolute, and it will change for even the same type of disease depending on the other criteria set (e.g. for COVID-19 mild vs severe cases, or older patients vs younger patients or patients with comorbidities vs healthy patients) and on the time period (e.g. the first cases reported of any outbreak are always the most severe because people will "deal with" mild symptoms at home thinking it's a simple cold or the flu. They won't go to get tested for something specifically unless it's an acute outbreak and then mild cases started getting counted because they want to know everyone who is infectious so that changes the case fatality rate).

Source

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill
Attachments:

02 Mar 2020 15:43 #90 by homeagain
www.yahoo.com/news/map-where-coronavirus...irmed-023935760.html

S-o-o, not JUST ON THE LEFT COAST, where ALL the lefties are.....blows your theory HEARTLESS.

Time to create page: 0.559 seconds