VALID vaccine.....viewing a comparison.

27 Apr 2020 18:28 #11 by ramage
Thank you for your prompt reply. I did not realize that even if the citation was properly foot-noted, there was a limit as to the amount of material that could be copied and posted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Apr 2020 05:06 #12 by Pony Soldier
4 sentences although I've never heard of it being enforced anywhere ever. I've seen multiple parties,including SC, cite WAY more than 4 sentences. Site is still here....

28 Apr 2020 08:43 #13 by ramage
After I finished reading your comment, Pony Soldier, I went back and looked at previous posts by others. An example, posted by SC on 4/24/20, in the topic Hydroxychloroquine will save US, has more than 15 paragraphs of quoted material from the cited source.
To wit:

Hydroxychloroquine or Chloroquine for COVID-19: Drug Safety Communication - FDA Cautions Against Use Outside of the Hospital Setting or a Clinical Trial Due to Risk of Heart Rhythm Problems
April 24, 2020
ISSUE: FDA is concerned that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are being used inappropriately to treat non-hospitalized patients for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) or to prevent that disease. We authorized their temporary use only in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 when clinical trials are not available, or participation is not feasible, through an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). These medicines have a number of side effects, including serious heart rhythm problems that can be life-threatening.

We have reviewed case reports in the FDA Adverse Event Reporting System database, the published medical literature, and the American Association of Poison Control Centers National Poison Data System concerning serious heart-related adverse events and death in patients with COVID-19 receiving hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, either alone or combined with azithromycin or other QT prolonging medicines. These adverse events included QT interval prolongation, ventricular tachycardia and ventricular fibrillation, and in some cases, death. We are continuing to investigate these safety risks in patients with COVID-19 and will communicate publicly when more information is available.

BACKGROUND: Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine are FDA-approved to treat or prevent malaria. Hydroxychloroquine is also FDA-approved to treat autoimmune conditions such as chronic discoid lupus erythematosus, systemic lupus erythematosus in adults, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine:
should be used for COVID-19 only when patients can be appropriately monitored in the hospital as required by the EUA or are enrolled in a clinical trial with appropriate screening and monitoring. FDA is reviewing the safety of their use when used outside of the setting of hospitalized patients for whom use was authorized.
have not been shown to be safe and effective for treating or preventing COVID-19.
are being studied in clinical trials for COVID-19, and FDA authorized their temporary use during the COVID-19 pandemic under limited circumstances through the EUA, and not through regular FDA approval.
being used under the EUA when supplied from the Strategic National Stockpile, the national repository of critical medical supplies to be used during public health emergencies.
can cause abnormal heart rhythms such as QT interval prolongation
can cause dangerously rapid heart rate called ventricular tachycardia.
pose risks that may increase when these medicines are combined with other medicines known to prolong the QT interval, including the antibiotic azithromycin, which is also being used in some COVID-19 patients without FDA approval for this condition.
should be used with caution in Patients who also have other health issues such as heart and kidney disease, who are likely to be at increased risk of these heart problems when receiving these medicines.
RECOMMENDATION:

Patients:
Patients taking hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for FDA-approved indications to treat malaria or autoimmune conditions should continue taking their medicine as prescribed.
The benefits of these medicines outweigh the risks at the recommended doses for these conditions.
Do not stop taking your medicine without first talking to your health care professional and talk to them if you have any questions or concerns.
Be aware that there are no proven treatments for COVID-19 and no vaccine. If you are receiving hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine for COVID-19 and experience irregular heartbeats, dizziness, or fainting, seek medical attention right away by calling 911.

Consumers:
Do not buy these medicines from online pharmacies without a prescription from your health care professional.
Do not take any form of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine that has not been prescribed for you by a health care provider. Serious poisoning and death have been reported after mistaken use of a chloroquine product not intended to be taken by humans.
If you have these medicines in your home, keep them in childproof containers out of the reach of children to prevent accidental poisoning.
Health Professionals:

FDA recommends initial evaluation and monitoring when using hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine under the EUA or in clinical trials to treat or prevent COVID-19. Monitoring may include baseline ECG, electrolytes, renal function and hepatic tests.
Be aware that hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine can:
cause QT prolongation
increase the risk of QT prolongation in patients with renal insufficiency or failure
increase insulin levels and insulin action causing increased risk of severe hypoglycemia
cause hemolysis in patients with Glucose-6-Phosphate Dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency
interact with other medicines that cause QT prolongation even after discontinuing the medicines due to their long half-lives of approximately 30-60 days
If a health care professional is considering use of hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to treat or prevent COVID-19, FDA recommends checking www.clinicaltrials.gov for a suitable clinical trial and considering enrolling the patient. Consider using resourcesExternal Link Disclaimer available to assess a patient’s risk of QT prolongation and mortality.

Health professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Complete and submit the report online.
Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the form or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178.
[04/24/2020 - Drug Safety Communication - FDA]

28 Apr 2020 08:59 #14 by homeagain
Ya know.....I'd like to have as MUCH info available to me, that is coming from a CREDIBLE SOURCE......the king's continuing confusion,chaos, and questionable acuity is creating a
paradigm that is scary and SOMEONE is required to step up and STAND UP for the sake of
all AMERICAN'S....so-o-o I'll take SC or any other scientist,expert in the field....Dr.B. has NOT
done a sufficient job, in fact she is an older woman who WILL NOT challenge the king,nor do
what is required of her....BE STRAIGHT UP AND TO HELL WITH POLITICS.

28 Apr 2020 09:45 #15 by ScienceChic
I get that no one wants to ever read Terms of Service, but seriously, it's your responsibility to do so upon creating an account with any business. ramage, I linked ours in my reply to you with the expectation that you would read it for guidance, and it states:

5. For newsletters, web pages, news articles, blog posts or other copyrighted content to be inserted into posts: Fair Use Doctrine allows for copying of a minimal portion of text needed to get your point across, unless otherwise stated by the source - a reader should have to click through to read the rest to understand. Users are entirely responsible for their own posts, not My Mountain Town. Posting a link to the content/source is required per Copyright Law. www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

For certain government documents and press releases, Fair Use Doctrine does not apply and the entire content may be copied. If you have a question concerning this exception, please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or send a Private Message to the Mountain Town Road Crew.

ramage what you quoted above as an example of me "quoting everything" is an example of a government document from the FDA, and allowable to post in its entirety.

LOL PonySoldier that you would quote our competition's rule instead of ours, a rule which they obviously didn't bother researching extensively. 4 sentences of a 6 sentence news story (which I have seen, believe it or not) would be a violation of "minimal quote" which is why it shouldn't be a hard, defined number but a percentage, i.e. minimal portion, as we have.

I have reminded everyone here, here, and here what is required per Fair Use Guidelines. If you have questions, email us prior to posting and we'll give you recommendations. At this point, if anyone continues to disregard this rule, we will begin restricting posting privileges for repeated failure to follow legal guidelines for posting that could jeopardize this site.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Apr 2020 14:08 #16 by ramage
Thank you for your reply. I will be sure to contact the Crew to avoid being in violation of copyright laws.
It is interesting that if your opinion is in agreement with the Government, their documents can be used to support one's position but opinions of citations that do not have to be abbreviated and can only be seen if the reader chooses to go to the reference cited, whereas the government position can fill 15 paragraphs in the blog.

28 Apr 2020 14:32 #17 by ScienceChic
Thank you, we'd be glad to help.

It is not my "opinion" that government documents can be used to "support one's position." I am simply abiding by the law, nothing more, nothing less. Hell, I'd love nothing more than to make my posts even longer than they usually are; having to pick and choose what I quote often takes me more time than writing what I want to say about any given topic! :biggrin: Citing any source, whether it is allowed to be quoted in its entirety here, or simply linked for anyone to click to go read the rest, should be sufficient evidence to support any claim you make. The only difference between being able to quote an entire press release (which that FDA document wasn't posted to support anything I was saying, I was simply passing along helpful information), and quoting only a few lines from a news story is that people have to make one click to go read the rest, which is only fair for the creator of that content to get that website traffic (I'd be pissed if someone took what was written here and pasted it elsewhere without linking back to this website as the source, which has happened and I've had to call people on it). It's not like any other reader can't access the story you are citing as evidence, unless that source has a paywall, and they have that right to put on that restriction. If that's the case, find another source to back up your claim(s).

Nothing we are requiring is a hardship, nor does it restrict what you can share with others here. Plus, it keeps us in compliance with the law.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

28 Apr 2020 20:19 #18 by Pony Soldier
It has been found that use was not fair with a single sentence if it was considered the “heart” of the article. Seems pretty ambiguous. I guess you will just have to live with my opinion as I don’t want to get anyone in trouble.

28 Apr 2020 20:28 #19 by ScienceChic

29 Apr 2020 04:50 #20 by Pony Soldier

Amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole: Under this factor, courts look at both the quantity and quality of the copyrighted material that was used. If the use includes a large portion of the copyrighted work, fair use is less likely to be found; if the use employs only a small amount of copyrighted material, fair use is more likely. That said, some courts have found use of an entire work to be fair under certain circumstances. And in other contexts, using even a small amount of a copyrighted work was determined not to be fair because the selection was an important part—or the “heart”—of the work.

www.copyright.gov/fair-use/more-info.html

I assume this is safe to copy and paste since it is from a .gov site?

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds