Moderation Discussion (moved from Courthouse)

16 Apr 2013 18:36 #21 by FOS
Can I come over to your house Soulshiner and poop in your living room?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

16 Apr 2013 19:36 #22 by jf1acai
Thank you SC.

The following may be off topic, if so feel free to move it wherever it belongs:

Looks like with your whining and thin skin, you got your way.

It seems to me (in other words, In My Opinion) that whenever someone posts something asking for more civility in the publicly accessible forums, it is always the individuals here who appear (again, for clarity, IMO) to be liberal leaning who argue (IMO) against it, and want (IMO) to be able to be as nasty as they wish in any forum/subforum on the site.

I do not understand why that is, and I'm sure some will disagree with my opinion.

Be that as it may, I am all for freedom of expression, but I also would like to be able to discuss subjects in a civil manner, without being chastised for whatever my personal political and/or religious beliefs may be, and I would also like to be able to recommend this site to others.

I thought that the Ring was intended to be used for the non family friendly language and bashing of others, and had limited access for that reason.

When many of the posts in the Courthouse (and it seems to me (IMO) even in the Campfire), include bashing of others and tiresome repetition of a poster's personal agendas/politics, I am not interested in reading or responding there, and certainly I am not willing to recommend the site to others.

It seems to me that this type of behavior is detrimental to the site, and therefore to the site owner's ability to promote and improve the site.

Why can't we all follow the guidelines, and help promote the site, and all the wonderful things it has done, and can continue to do, for the community?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Apr 2013 19:44 #23 by Hoot Owl

frogger wrote: Can I come over to your house Soulshiner and poop in your living room?

Well, that certainly added to the conversation. :splat:

16 Apr 2013 19:49 #24 by archer
The problem, as I see it, with your post jf1 is you neglect to mention that many of those arguing for more civility are the same posters who are posting in an uncivil manner when it suits them. IMHO, liberals just appreciate the unique nature of this board and want to preserve it. When we reach a point where all posters recognize their own culpability, then maybe the tone will change.

16 Apr 2013 20:07 #25 by chickaree
I have been mocked and sneered at by both sides for advocating for higher quality posts. Most of is have transgressed at one point or another. To try to draw political lines on this issue is laughable. Look to your own behavior and don't try to pretend that you have to be rude just because others are. I doubt that any of your mothers bought the "everyone is doing it" argument.

16 Apr 2013 20:15 #26 by FOS

Soulshiner wrote: Looks like with your whining and thin skin, you got your way.

About as much as this comment.

16 Apr 2013 20:35 #27 by jf1acai

The problem, as I see it, with your post jf1 is you neglect to mention that many of those arguing for more civility are the same posters who are posting in an uncivil manner when it suits them.

I apologize if I was not clear. I do not believe uncivil postings are appropriate by ANYONE!

The "they do it too" or "they did it first" arguments do not change the fact (IMO) that this behavior is detrimental to the site.

I think that we all have to work together to make this a better site for all.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

16 Apr 2013 20:50 #28 by FOS

chickaree wrote: I have been mocked and sneered at by both sides for advocating for higher quality posts. Most of is have transgressed at one point or another. To try to draw political lines on this issue is laughable. Look to your own behavior and don't try to pretend that you have to be rude just because others are. I doubt that any of your mothers bought the "everyone is doing it" argument.

I would like you to give me ONE example of where jfacai1 has ever been rude to you or anyone on this forum.
He stated a fact.
He has always supported you in your endeavor to raise the bar of civility just as I have.
Yes....we have all been guilty at one time or another of less than stellar behavior but an accusation directed at one of the most level headed, steady and calm individuals on this forum is beyond me.

Perhaps you might consider reviewing JF's posts to see if there is actually any real evidence of what you accuse him of chickaree.

As for my whining.....
Do a handful of you really believe that my voice is all SC is hearing?
Do you think so poorly of our host that you would believe that one person could sway her basic belief system?
Do you really believe she is acting in any manner other than what she really believes is best for her current members, future members and the people who pay to advertise here?
She is running a business that needs to cater to a lot of wants and needs.
She walks a very fine line.
But the real bottom line is that she bought this website to earn a living.
To earn a living, she needs advertisers. In order for the advertisers to benefit, she needs new members.
People who feel free to speak their mind in places that have , since the beginning of this website, been designated as civil.
No one has ever said that if you want to go to the ring and call me every name in the book that you can't do that. It won't be altered, deleted or removed. Nor will you be banned.
The preference was simply to take it to the ring.
How hard is that?
As an advertiser here....I am not prepared to ask my customers to come here if I know they will be treated with disrespect all over the website.
It reflects poorly on me, my community and this website.
And this website is suffering. Whether many of you want to acknowledge it or not.

nuf said. (by me) :) JMO

16 Apr 2013 21:00 #29 by archer
Seriously jf1acai, do you expect the posters on this board to behave, or post, any different than the rest of this country? This isn't a 285Bound problem, this is a USA problem, the country is divided and so are we. As long as the government is populated with 2 parties that find keeping us hating each other is to their advantage.... And media whores go out of their way to foster the animosity towards the other "side", trying to get one small group of posters to play nice is an exercise in futility.

16 Apr 2013 21:04 #30 by archer
I'm confused frogger, do you really think you should be censoring what your customers get to see? They might like this board exactly as it is.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds