The big 'firewood for sale' thread....

07 Jul 2012 18:05 #31 by Valle Girl

Trebor66 wrote: by Bob Barber
JUDGING THE WOOD
Most woods (PINE, FIR ASPEN) harvested in the 285 corridor have such a similar heat output that the species makes little difference. What makes the difference is how dry and well seasoned the wood is. Dry, well seasoned, dense wood starts fast, burns hot, does not create a lot of creosote.
The main points to look for are:
1. The wood is NOT GREEN (recently cut). Green wood will be heavy and you will see signs of moisture and/or sap on the ends.
2. The wood IS DRY & WELL SEASONED and shows no signs of rot, mush or spongy wood.
Split vs. Rounds -- Difference is minor, but split burns up faster.
Rounds tend to burn longer and are best for an overnight fire.
Why get a cord of mixed species -- Aspen helps clean the flue.
A mixture of pine, fir and aspen gives you some flexibility in how fast you want the room to heat up, how long you want the fire to burn and do you want to help reduce the creosote formation in the flue.
Aspen starts fast and burns hot. It will generate heat quicker than fir or pine, but will also burn up faster. It helps to dry out the creosote and send the ash out the flue.
A nice sized round fir log or two are perfect for an overnight fire.
How to build the fire
There are as many ways to start a fire as there are fire starters. I have found the following to be very effective.
Start with 10 or so sheets of bunched up newspaper. Add a liberal layer of kindling. Add some 2”- 3”logs. Put 2 sheets of bunched up newspaper on top of the logs. Light this top layer of newspaper first. This starts the draft necessary to keep the fire going. Then light the bottom layer of newspaper. You should have a blazing fire in just a few minutes. Now add some bigger logs.
Do not waste wood -- Control the air intake -- Buy a magnetic temperature gauge
A fire needs a good supply of incoming air. But too much air will just burn up the wood faster. A magnetic gauge affixed to the stove will tell you if the fire is not burning fast enough, in the OK area or burning too fast. Controlling the air intake will keep the fire producing maximum heat without burning too fast or too hot. Gauges are inexpensive and available at your local hardware store.
Have a question or comment? Feel free to call or email me.
[center:1o3j81js]RICHMOND HILL FIREWOOD Conifer, CO
Bob Barber aka Trebor66
303.330.0710 . [/center:1o3j81js]

I prefer hardwoods, am I right they burn hotter with less ash? Can I get some around here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Jul 2012 10:55 #32 by LOL
Heat content is the most important, not hardwood/softwood. We don't have a lot of options here, mostly pine and aspen. Aspen is technically a hardwood (or deciduous/broadleaf), but not with high heat content like oak or maple.

Here is a good reference chart showing aspen near the bottom. I like Lodgepole pine, easy to find and work with. Aspen is ok, burns hot and leaves a ton of ash. I use both. Not a big fan of Ponderosa pine, too big and sappy. You can find places to buy Oak in CO, but very $$$$$

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

Species..............MBTU/cord
Oak, red 22.1
Douglas Fir 17.4
Lodgepole Pine 15.3
Ponderosa Pine 14.8
Aspen 13.7

So you might get 1.5x the MBTUs with Oak, but probably at 2X the price. It might burn longer into the night though.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

08 Jul 2012 13:33 #33 by Valle Girl
Thanks...what can you tell me about pinion?

08 Jul 2012 13:49 #34 by LOL
Pinion pine... I don't know much about it, except the nuts are supposed to be good! Pinion nuts? LOL
Give it a try and let us know! :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

10 Jul 2012 13:31 #35 by OmniScience

Valle Girl wrote: Thanks...what can you tell me about pinion?

Years ago I was getting pinion (with some juniper) cords from a guy in Canon City.

One thing I can tell you is that it smells FANTASTIC !!!

16 Jul 2012 16:16 #36 by Valle Girl

OmniScience wrote:

Valle Girl wrote: Thanks...what can you tell me about pinion?

Years ago I was getting pinion (with some juniper) cords from a guy in Canon City.

One thing I can tell you is that it smells FANTASTIC !!!

Yes...I only burned Pinon when I lived in SLV and I know where to get south of Salida...Canon sounds right also. I was just hoping some smart person would go down to South Central Colorado or Northern New Mexico and bring some north. It does burn hotter and as far as I can tell by comparing to the wood I get around here, it doesn't leave the chimney too dirty and not much ash to shovel out.

I got some oak and cherry two years ago which was great but I don't have the $$$ luxury I used to have :Crying:

And Yes Pinon - different from pine nuts - are delicious. Can't get them every year though and of course down south is where they come from where the pinon trees grow lol .

Thanks anyway all of you wood gurus. Love to chat anyway

31 Jul 2012 09:31 #37 by mykidsdad
Reclaimed Oak Timber Sections (Lumber or Firewood)

Roughsawn Oak Timbers.

Be "green" and get a great deal on an outstanding product at the same time.

Excellent for resawing into flooring, fine woodworking, walkways, furniture, landscaping, retaining walls, dunnage, construction, decks, stairs, rustic projects.

MAKES AMAZING FIREWOOD FOR FIREPLACES, WOODSTOVES AND BBQ

We have Hundreds and can work out volume pricing for large orders

Sold in lots of 10 timbers minimum @ $ 50 per lot.

Nice and straight with no warping.

Each timber measures 3" x 5.5" x 40" and weighs 20-22 pounds

Email with your contact telephone number for more information

13 Aug 2012 18:53 #38 by anonymous1
We have a ton of pine fire wood for sale!! We have a variation of sizes and widths we cut for the buyers satisfaction!
prices run around

100$-8' lengths per cord
120$-block per cord
140$-split per cord
Full size logs and special sizes are avaible too.

Delivery is included within a resonable distance (20 miles) after that a delivery charge will be added.
THE MORE YOU BUY THE CHEAPER IT WILL BE! So if you are intrested or have questions call-
seven two zero three four one four zero three six- or just pm me. Thanks, anonymous1

05 Sep 2012 14:12 #39 by Bailey1546
Engleman Spruce
$180.00 a cord
Free delivery
$40 stacking fee per cord
Calls only.
Bailey 303-726-8343

15 Sep 2012 17:45 #40 by rhunter
Seasoned mix of pine and blue spruce.
All wood is fully dried. FULL 4X4X8 cords. Guaranteed.
Full cords and will cut to size upon request.

$100/cord if you pick it up
$135/cord if you would like it delivered.
Located by the bus barn in Marshdale

I will also sell blocked (not split) cords.

PM or call/text 720-354-1830

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds