Leave those kids at home

28 Jul 2011 22:26 #11 by Martin Ent Inc
Try that today as the neighbor or a parent and you'll likely end up in prison for child abuse.[/quote]

Got that right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2011 22:30 #12 by Local_Historian
Being a kid - fine. be a kid. I like kids. Kids are funny.

Not able to follow basic societal expectations like not running through the store, not running into people, not taking stuff out of other people's carts (have had that happen), throwing stuff, stomping on groceries because they don't like them (seen that happen), licking things(I'll tell you about when that happened in my own store another time),screaming, yelling, - not just being normal kid loud - whining loudly - yeah, no. NOT acceptable. I take issue when the parents are doing NOTHING about it. I take issue when four year olds flip me off for smiling at them - what the hell? What is that kid being taught?

If a parent is actually trying to stop a kid from acting this way, good for them. If the parents is just mouthing something for appearance sake,like the not paying attention "oh honey, don't do that" as they throw breakable things on the floor, that is NOT an effort to curb the kid. It just looks like one.

Perhaps I've just been in the store too often after school gets out, but man - curb that kid.

28 Jul 2011 23:08 #13 by otisptoadwater
Nothing says I love you and care about you as you grow in to an adult like a BIG RED HAND PRINT on your backside. However, My grandfather told me to ensure that the punishment suits the crime and to never strike a child with anything other than my open hand on their buttocks and only after calming down and keeping everything in perspective. Obviously the really little guys, age 2 to 4, need some patience and non-corporal intervention. Beyond that age, a long lecture about what is wrong with a particular behavior (that is the calming down part for most parents and relations) and a smack on the a** are appropriate and accepted in my family.

At my little brother's house twentie somethings get other punishments. Still living with Ma and Pa and decide to skip church because you are hung over? Watch out for a long day that starts early and lots of new chores that take tasks away from the little kids; nothing punishes like puppy poop patrol at 0700 when you're skull is throbbing and the smell of doggie poo is in the air! There are papers that need to be delivered and bathrooms that need cleaning. Some how uncle Otis shows up with the Wundermutt and he needs a bath along with his younger brother and sister.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 Jul 2011 23:12 #14 by Sunshine Girl

otisptoadwater wrote: I'd frown on taking two and three year olds out to a fancy restaurant, at the same time I'd take any rowdy toddler to the Morrison Inn, Little Bear, and similar establishments anytime. There is a balance between family friendly establishments and restaurants and events where a rowdy toddler would be unhappy and let everyone within ear shot know about it.

I disagree. If you take them when they are young you teach them how to behave from a very early age. BUT, you have to be prepared to leave if things are not going well. I expected excellent table manners and behavior early on and it didn't matter how fancy the establishment was. You teach and they will follow. Most kids want to please I think. I was always prepared with a snack, etc. if things took too long to prepare. All three of my kids were better behaved and quieter than most of the adults around us! BTW, I was the only adult at the table. It can be done.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

28 Jul 2011 23:16 #15 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Leave those kids at home
I never had any problems with my kids either SG..

28 Jul 2011 23:22 #16 by Sunshine Girl

Vice Lord wrote: I never had any problems with my kids either SG..

Oh, don't get me wrong. I said they were great at restaurants! lol My son tested my patience last year for sure, but I think the worst of it is over. :crossed: Let's just say I had a problem letting him spread his wings. The hardest thing in the world for me! I hear it gets easier with the next child. I think they pray nightly for that to be true. :wink: This might come as a shock, but I can be a little controlling. :Whistle

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

28 Jul 2011 23:23 #17 by otisptoadwater
That must be the difference between being a parent and being an uncle. I have the luxury of sending them back home to mommy and daddy after I spoil them to death! Trust me, none of my nieces and nephews want for much and I spoil them and their friends to death. At the end of the day they don't live at the Cave (so far...).

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 Jul 2011 23:27 #18 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Leave those kids at home

Sunshine Girl wrote:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I said they were great at restaurants! lol My son tested my patience last year for sure, but I think the worst of it is over. :crossed: Let's just say I had a problem letting him spread his wings. The hardest thing in the world for me! I hear it gets easier with the next child. I think they pray nightly for that to be true. :wink: This might come as a shock, but I can be a little controlling. :Whistle

As soon as they move out, you stop worrying.

I did used to go nuts when they were out late and forgot to call home though

28 Jul 2011 23:28 #19 by Sunshine Girl

otisptoadwater wrote: That must be the difference between being a parent and being an uncle. I have the luxury of sending them back home to mommy and daddy after I spoil them to death! Trust me, none of my nieces and nephews want for much and I spoil them and their friends to death. At the end of the day they don't live at the Cave (so far...).

I was robbed I tell you, robbed! I have one brother and two sisters and NONE of them ever had any kids! I wanted to be an aunt so much, but didn't happen. I kinda of adopted the two little ones that I used to nanny for as my niece and nephew. I love to spoil them. On Christmas Day they came over and couldn't believe all the presents under one of the Christmas trees were for them. I think there were 22! I had a blast. The parents were in shock. I think you need to adopt me. :biggrin:

28 Jul 2011 23:29 #20 by Sunshine Girl

Vice Lord wrote:

Sunshine Girl wrote:

As soon as they move out, you stop worrying.

I did used to go nuts when they were out late and forgot to call home though

I hope that's true. If they screw up in a big way I already told them that we are going on a field trip to the morgue so they get a reality check.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds