Leave those kids at home

29 Jul 2011 09:11 #31 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Leave those kids at home
You know, toddlers have "toddler moments." At that age, you can only do so much. You just have to wait it out. Unfortunately, on a plane, you can't take them anywhere to let them do what they need to do and not bother anyone else.

However, on the ground, you can remove your kids from the situation. When parents don't do that, they are the problem, not the kids.

I went through a period in my life where I was very irritated by children, after my own left the nest. Now, I'm more tolerable again.

I think it's sad that so many adults are child-aversive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jul 2011 21:47 #32 by Local_Historian

Vice Lord wrote: As soon as they move out, you stop worrying.

Gotta disagree there - I still worry; most parents do, even after the kids marry and make you a grandparent, and the grandkids grow up and make you a great grandparent. Ask my dad. My grandpa is 94, and it still concerned about the well being of his kids, grands, great grands, great great grands. All you can do is step back and hope they remember all the things you taught them, and be happy when they demonstrate they have.

Having them learn to drive is easier.

See what you have to look forawrd to, SC?

30 Jul 2011 09:06 #33 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Leave those kids at home

HEARTLESS wrote: At the zoo, I find a quick toss of ill tempered child into a carnivore enclosure solves the problem. :biggrin:

lol

30 Jul 2011 09:13 #34 by rldbailey
Replied by rldbailey on topic Leave those kids at home
There will always be situations where babies and toddlers act out - that's what they do. For the most part, I see parents tending to them as best they can and not much you can do when you have a fussy baby.

I have been to many businesses over the years and have always been shocked at how many parents allow their children to run wild in a store, restaurant, parking lot, etc. I have left many stores due to screaming and out of control kids. I've been told that the reason many parents do nothing about this is becuse they are used to it and know how to tune it out. Well, some parents need to keep in mind there are people that aren't used to it and don't deserve to have their shopping or dining experience ruined because of it! Personally, I think that's fine when you're at home, but when you're in a public place, other people should never be subjected to that kind of behavior.

I had an incident a few years ago when I was in a walking boot due to a foot injury and was pushing my cart in Walmart, when all of a suden this young girl comes running down the isle and almost knocks me over. I said nothing, but I did sign in exasperation and continued on my way and all of a sudden the Mother of this child looks at me and says, "she's only 8 years old!" I turned around and replied "you're making more out of this than I am and at the age of 8 she should know better than to run wild in a busy store". My Mother taught us not to do that by the age of 2 and if we continued, we got in trouble, had to leave and go home for a spanking. So yes, more often than not, it's the parents that are to blame. A kid almost knocks me down and the Mother gets an attitude with me? There lies the problem with some kids.

Not to mention, why would any parent allow their small child to run wild in a public place risking their safety. I remember the Adam Walsh tragedy since I lived in Florida at the time. He was shopping with his Mother and went to the toy department on his own at the age of 6, (I think that's the right age), never to be seen alive again. We live in a sick world and children are always at risk from the sickos.

01 Aug 2011 07:48 #35 by 2wlady
Replied by 2wlady on topic Leave those kids at home
Parents tune out their kids.

Hmmm, I see adults with adults tuning out the world for their texting and taking phone calls. What else can you expect from parents who do this?

I find it very irritating to have an outing with friends and they are taking phone calls. What happened to "I'll respond to this call after we are done with out outing"?

01 Aug 2011 08:36 #36 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Leave those kids at home

rldbailey wrote: <snip>

Not to mention, why would any parent allow their small child to run wild in a public place risking their safety. I remember the Adam Walsh tragedy since I lived in Florida at the time. He was shopping with his Mother and went to the toy department on his own at the age of 6, (I think that's the right age), never to be seen alive again. We live in a sick world and children are always at risk from the sickos.

There really is no problem with kids. The problem is with adults and their attitudes. Saudi Arabia highlights this well. Nowhere are kids reigned in. They wander up to you while you are eating dinner, run through the stores, etc. etc. doing all the things we are bitching and moaning about here. All of it is tolerated. In fact, you will see those kids who wander up to someone's table, be invited to eat with them or at the very least engage the kid in conversation as much as there can be a conversation. It's a very different culture where children and family are highly appreciated and that reflects in their attitude wherever they are. Even crying babies are tolerated well and offers to help abound I'd submit that we are selfish, wanting no one to disturb us in any way. We want to preserve our personal space everywhere and that is not possible when in a public environment. Creating bans on kids for your benefit, is at the expense of another's personal space. Conflict is will happen as a consequence. It is so easy to legislate all kinds of sh*t, but far more difficult to take personal responsibility or share our personal space when out. Perhaps it ought to be if you can't share your personal space in public, then stay at home. Such a position is no less vulgar than the opposite of expecting parents to give up their right to a public environment for your benefit.

01 Aug 2011 09:21 #37 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Leave those kids at home
lol One more reason to leave the kids at home, Colorado is now requiring kids under 8 to sit in booster seats in the car.

Moms will need whips and tasers to get the kids to sit in booster seats.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Aug 2011 09:23 #38 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Leave those kids at home
SS109, That's a bit harsh, & expensive....
Duct Tape, works fine.

01 Aug 2011 09:45 #39 by Sunshine Girl
I was extremely over-protective (even though that seems like something you can never be). I have finally learned to loosen the reins a bit more. I too remember the Adam Walsh story, and so many others like it, all too well. My children were always with me. When they got older they still had to stay within sight. It only takes a second. If you 'teach' them how to behave they will. If you don't, they won't. I agree that most is the parents fault.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

01 Aug 2011 09:47 #40 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Leave those kids at home

Sunshine Girl wrote: I was extremely over-protective (even though that seems like something you can never be). I have finally learned to loosen the reins a bit more. I too remember the Adam Walsh story, and so many others like it, all too well. My children were always with me. When they got older they still had to stay within sight. It only takes a second. If you 'teach' them how to behave they will. If you don't, they won't. I agree that most is the parents fault.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But Sh*t still happens, Always taught them to BE AWARE of they're surroundings!!!!

Edited: THAT INCLUDES teaching/school... Parents MUST be involed!!!!

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds