Leave those kids at home

28 Jul 2011 16:55 #1 by Martin Ent Inc
Many companies banning kids.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... g-2516110/

I blame the parents.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jul 2011 17:01 #2 by AspenValley
I blame the parents in some cases.

Parents ought to know that no one wants to have their two-year-old Special Snowflake inflicted on them at an expensive restaurant or at the opera or ballet.

On the other hand, I have seen people have totally unreasonable hissy fits because a child is just being a child, in a place where one would expect to see children. Most recently, no kidding, at the zoo!

28 Jul 2011 17:20 #3 by Local_Historian
Kids should be at the zoo. However, temper tantrums should be nowhere.

I'm one of those tired of hearing kids have temper tantrums EVERYWHERE without a single parent or adult in charge of said child doing a damn thing.

I had the courtesy to take tempering children out of any store when they started. Is it too much to expect people to get their children in hand, or do we need to start embarrassing the parents by asking them why they allow their children to behave in such a manner?

Seriously - is some brat screaming - literally - because mommy won't buy them a candy bar what we need at the end of our day stop at the grocery store?

I'm in favor of business owners putting their foot down when parents have stopped parenting. I'm not related to that spechul snoeflayke, I do not need to tolerate the whining, food throwing, temper throwing.

28 Jul 2011 17:27 #4 by AspenValley

Local_Historian wrote: Kids should be at the zoo. However, temper tantrums should be nowhere.

I'm one of those tired of hearing kids have temper tantrums EVERYWHERE without a single parent or adult in charge of said child doing a damn thing.

I had the courtesy to take tempering children out of any store when they started. Is it too much to expect people to get their children in hand, or do we need to start embarrassing the parents by asking them why they allow their children to behave in such a manner?

Seriously - is some brat screaming - literally - because mommy won't buy them a candy bar what we need at the end of our day stop at the grocery store?

I'm in favor of business owners putting their foot down when parents have stopped parenting. I'm not related to that spechul snoeflayke, I do not need to tolerate the whining, food throwing, temper throwing.

When my kids were younger and threw the "candy bar" tantrum in the grocery store I would remove them whenever that was feasible to do so. However, it isn't always feasible. Tantrums are normal in kids under a certain age, however, the best way to insure your kids will enage in tantrums again and again and past the normal age is to cave to pressure from disapproving "others" when you can't take the child out of the situation by bribing them to stop screaming.

i really think the problem has been compounded by the climate of resentment shown by so many adults these days when a kid is just being a kid and the parent is actually doing the correct thing as a parent by refusing to give in to the tantrum. When I see younger parents dealing with this I try to encourage them to hold firm in not giving in to a tantrum, not condemn them. I think if more people did this there wouldn't be such an "epidemic" of kids who have learned by experience that if they make a scene in public their parents will be severely pressured by the disapproval of other adults nearby to give in to the child. Thus guaranteeing a repeat performance.

28 Jul 2011 17:33 #5 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Leave those kids at home
At the zoo, I find a quick toss of ill tempered child into a carnivore enclosure solves the problem. :biggrin:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

28 Jul 2011 17:34 #6 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Leave those kids at home
With my super Union negotiated boarding priority my kids would (and still do) routinly bump adults and couples out of First Class..One time at the very last moment we snatched all 6 first class seats away from 3 couples going on a nice dinner flight to Miami. It went from 3+ hours of heaven to hell for those vacationers. I didn't gloat about it, but I never felt bad either..

28 Jul 2011 18:31 #7 by Sunshine Girl

AspenValley wrote:

Local_Historian wrote: Kids should be at the zoo. However, temper tantrums should be nowhere.

When my kids were younger and threw the "candy bar" tantrum in the grocery store I would remove them whenever that was feasible to do so. However, it isn't always feasible. Tantrums are normal in kids under a certain age, however, the best way to insure your kids will enage in tantrums again and again and past the normal age is to cave to pressure from disapproving "others" when you can't take the child out of the situation by bribing them to stop screaming.

i really think the problem has been compounded by the climate of resentment shown by so many adults these days when a kid is just being a kid and the parent is actually doing the correct thing as a parent by refusing to give in to the tantrum. When I see younger parents dealing with this I try to encourage them to hold firm in not giving in to a tantrum, not condemn them. I think if more people did this there wouldn't be such an "epidemic" of kids who have learned by experience that if they make a scene in public their parents will be severely pressured by the disapproval of other adults nearby to give in to the child. Thus guaranteeing a repeat performance.

I agree! I remember (all too vividly) a few times my kids had tantrums in a public place. I would try to move them to a more suitable "tantrum zone" as to not ruin others experiences and then I would let them get it out and calmly (as could be) watch them and not give into them. Of course, first I tried reasoning with them, but when that didn't work we move to the zone. They quickly learned that it wasn't going to work. Kids will be kids and I wasn't going to reward bad behavior. They did get rewarded if they were good with different things (sometimes small things). Only once did they ever act up in a restaurant and we took our food to go. They didn't like that and never did it again. I could take them to a 5 Star restaurant and people would always come up to our table and praise the children and myself. That was nice! I hated it when kids were disruptive in restaurants. Same with planes. They are were fantastic whether we were in coach or first class.

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

28 Jul 2011 22:07 #8 by otisptoadwater
Spare the rod, spoil the child. I'm not a parent and I probably never will be but I have not been known for my passive behavior when a niece or nephew acts up when it is inappropriate. My brother and sister in law agree with my approach and neither have any objection to me correcting their children with in our agreed upon guidelines. Mom and Dad deal out the corporal punishment, uncle Otis just talks to the kids and tells them why what they did is wrong.

As for how this is accomplished and when and where to take young children, I'd frown on taking two and three year olds out to a fancy restaurant, at the same time I'd take any rowdy toddler to the Morrison Inn, Little Bear, and similar establishments anytime. There is a balance between family friendly establishments and restaurants and events where a rowdy toddler would be unhappy and let everyone within ear shot know about it.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

28 Jul 2011 22:09 #9 by Martin Ent Inc
Funny when I was a kid you got spanked by the parent that adjusted your butt and then again when you got home by YOUR parent. We grew up rural.

28 Jul 2011 22:23 #10 by otisptoadwater

Martin Ent Inc wrote: Funny when I was a kid you got spanked by the parent that adjusted your butt and then again when you got home by YOUR parent. We grew up rural.

I'll never forget getting my a** beat by my neighbor's mom when I gave her some lip. She grabbed me by the ear and hauled me to my house, related the story of my smart mouth and my mom beat me again! The worst part? I had every bit of it coming because of what I said and did. If that isn't a lesson in being accountable for yourself I don't know what is. Needless to say I learned a lot about being polite that afternoon and respecting my elders...

Try that today as the neighbor or a parent and you'll likely end up in prison for child abuse.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds