Shhhhh! There's A Communist Living In The W.H.

26 Sep 2011 11:28 #141 by HEARTLESS
And now neutrinos speed may be greater than the speed of light. Another scientific pillar not looking so absolute.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Sep 2011 11:44 #142 by ScienceChic

HEARTLESS wrote: So this is a categorical NO as to having watched the videos, listened to who gets the research funding (those using modeling, not real world measurements) seeing the 110 year payback for the solar system on the Denver Museum of Natural History then.

No, I haven't yet - my hours are limited and I haven't even had time to read any of my favorite books lately. Real world measurements are what I posted Heartless, not modeling. But anyone who tries to state that real-world measurements increases of CO2 are more volcanic in nature, ignore the Keeling curve in correlation to volcanic eruptions overt that time period, and not accept a 114 year old paper that hasn't even ever been disputed by some of the most ardent climate contrarians (nor is the Keeling curve, for that matter), is frankly a waste of my time - they have no grasp of even the fundamentals of the physics of CO2 or how the measurements have been taken to make an educated, informed decision as to what's credible.

And I've checked into the funding question - the contrarians is far more suspect than the climatologists. But even that doesn't matter to me - I care about the weight of the evidence, and it's far and away for AGW. I'm guessing you haven't read my links? :wink:

And the data on the neutrinos is very preliminary - I'd wait before pronouncing a "pillar" being tumbled. And even if it is found to be true, it's just more data that is incorporated into the current theories that explain the observations and will cause them to be revised - that's what the process of science is all about. New data is not to be feared, or ignored, but tested until proven accepted, then incorporated into current accumulated data and explanations of said data. Nothing has come up yet that overturns the over 100 years of accumulated data on AGW - only the uncertainties in what will play out in the coming decades, centuries, and millenia.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

26 Sep 2011 12:01 #143 by HEARTLESS
towermonkey, how does your schoolin' stack up against Willie Soon, astrophysicist with Harvard-Smithsonian Center for same, or William Gray Professor of Atmospheric Science at Colorado State University? One believes the correlation is solar activity and the other believes oceanic activity play much more important roles than man made carbon dioxide.

26 Sep 2011 12:02 #144 by HEARTLESS
SC, my statement isn't that it tumbled a pillar, merely that it may shake of beliefs.

26 Sep 2011 12:07 #145 by Pony Soldier
Do you really believe that with over 600 million cars in the world burning 260 billion gallons of fuel a year, that we humans have no effect on the atmosphere?

26 Sep 2011 12:11 #146 by HEARTLESS
Never said NO effect, just that we are not the singular cause and can change the course of whats happening.

26 Sep 2011 12:12 #147 by Nmysys
TM you forgot the methane gas produced by cows. Shall we kill off the cows?

26 Sep 2011 12:23 - 26 Sep 2011 12:32 #148 by chickaree
No one is saying we are the singular cause, so that is a fallacious argument and cows are part of the carbon cycle thus do not add sequestered CO2 to the atmosphere. Republicans just make themselves look like ignorant hicks with these kinds of arguments. Saying it is settled science in either direction is hubris. We don't know yet, but the scientific evidence is piling up on the side of proving that human activity can affect our climate.

26 Sep 2011 12:30 #149 by HEARTLESS

chickaree wrote: No one is saying we are the singular cause, so that is a fallacious argument and cows are part of the carbon cycle thus do not add sequestered CO2 to the atmosphere. Republicans just make themselves look like ognorant hicks with these kinds of arguments. Saying it is settled science in either direction is hubris. We don't know yet, but the scientific evidence is piling up on the side of proving that human activity can affect our climate.

I've been called ignorant, but ognorant is a new one.

26 Sep 2011 12:32 #150 by chickaree
Whoops iphone keyboard is tiny. Fixed.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds