Occupy Wall Street Demands

04 Oct 2011 16:13 #11 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands
There are many more demands, but to see them, you have to click on the link where it says: READ MORE

Everyone seems to go to #9 and think that is all there is.

I want to tackle just the first demand and then someone else can tackle the next one.

Using what is called an overview, would tell you that if you raise the minimum wage to $20, the cost of everything produced or for sale by the business has to go up proportionately. If everything goes up exactly the same, wages, prices, etc. what is the change? NOTHING!!!!!

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2011 19:36 #12 by Wayne Harrison
#OccupySesameStreet: The Making of a Meme

What happened when a Wall Street spoof went viral?

Since its launched two weeks ago, the #OccupyWallStreet movement has gone national, spawning copy-cat demonstrations in far-flung locales like Tulsa and Boise. Its members have serious concerns--about income inequality, the influence of large corporations in our political system, and their own financial futures. The #OccupySesameStreet movement? Not so much.

http://motherjones.com/mixed-media/2011 ... samestreet

04 Oct 2011 20:19 #13 by Pony Soldier

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all. Debt forgiveness of sovereign debt, commercial loans, home mortgages, home equity loans, credit card debt, student loans and personal loans now! All debt must be stricken from the "Books." World Bank Loans to all Nations, Bank to Bank Debt and all Bonds and Margin Call Debt in the stock market including all Derivatives or Credit Default Swaps, all 65 trillion dollars of them must also be stricken from the "Books." And I don't mean debt that is in default, I mean all debt on the entire planet period.

Pass the bong dude!

04 Oct 2011 21:32 - 04 Oct 2011 22:20 #14 by otisptoadwater
I have to wonder if the kids behind this movement really think they are being unrealistic. Let's face it, this a generation that grew up in a society that lets them be the victim instead of holding them accountable for the things they did wrong, Mommy and Daddy likely didn't spank them when they had it coming. If they played sports how many were on soccer teams but no one kept score and every kid got a trophy at the end of the season because it is "good for their self esteem?" A cell phone, laptop, TV, game console replete with plenty of games are entitlements that every kid these days has because they believe it is owed to them and many of their parents enable them.

For many of them the student loans are coming due, Mom and Dad have no more money in the college fund kitty or their own savings (thanks Barry), and the jobs they can get are not what they thought they went to school for in the first place. Many have had to take a McJob instead of getting an entry level position with a corporation that has a career path for them to take advantage of as they gain more experience and prove they can do more. The free ride is suddenly over and they been abruptly introduced to the concepts of earning a living for themselves and being held accountable for their actions and debts, I bet they don't like it one bit.

Many of them were of age to cast their vote in the last Presidential election and too many of them believed that Barry and Biteme where going to make good on their campaign promises. Now their only perceived option is to throw a tantrum, it has worked in the past so why wouldn't it now? A lot like the contagion of fear, delusion spreads quickly among like minded people who are outraged for a particular cause, it's no wonder they continue to think that the world owes them all of the items they have on their list of demands and probably more. When the game is no fun anymore run to Mommy and make her tell the problems to go away.

To be fair if I had just earned my Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering and I was still living in Mom and Dad's basement while making $7.50 an hour at the only job I could get at the local Scottish restaurant flipping soy flour and beef tallow patties I would probably be a little angry too...

Protesting in the streets on a platform of demands that is completely irrational and impractical with your delusional friends is a complete waste of time. How about getting a second job instead? How about getting a little more involved in local politics and voting smarter? Times are tougher than they have been in a long time but those who have the self discipline and determination to succeed likely will but it's not going to be easy.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Oct 2011 21:51 #15 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands
We complain when the kids sit around and do nothing, we complain when they get up off their duffs and do something. I guess as long as they do things we don't necessarily approve of, or don't understand, we will complain.....just as our parents complained about our generation, and their parents complained about them. We haven't exactly left them with the best of options, but blaming the kids is counter productive. What I find most interesting is I have not found what you are complaining about in any of this generation, at all......the 20 somethings I meet are hard working (when they can find a job) very responsible, very engaged in this country and it's government, and generally young people we can be proud of. The fact that they have taken a good hard look at how our generation has run this country and found it less than commendable, should come as no surprise. They think we have sold them and this country to the highest bidder through lobbyists.....and they are right.

04 Oct 2011 22:27 #16 by otisptoadwater

archer wrote: We complain when the kids sit around and do nothing, we complain when they get up off their duffs and do something. I guess as long as they do things we don't necessarily approve of, or don't understand, we will complain.....just as our parents complained about our generation, and their parents complained about them. We haven't exactly left them with the best of options, but blaming the kids is counter productive. What I find most interesting is I have not found what you are complaining about in any of this generation, at all......the 20 somethings I meet are hard working (when they can find a job) very responsible, very engaged in this country and it's government, and generally young people we can be proud of. The fact that they have taken a good hard look at how our generation has run this country and found it less than commendable, should come as no surprise. They think we have sold them and this country to the highest bidder through lobbyists.....and they are right.

Did you read my post for content or just regurgitate the standard deflection and contrarianism? I believe I offered an olive branch when I posted "Times are tougher than they have been in a long time but those who have the self discipline and determination to succeed likely will but it's not going to be easy." It's no secret that the economy is as bad as it has ever been, there are not a lot of jobs to get and the jobs that are available are harder to get because of the current administration's policies on illegal aliens. Private industry has no interest in hiring new employees in this country while the administration is focused on sucking every dollar they can out of the business through regulations and tax increases. Reacting to the current crisis by holding pointless protests in the streets and blaming the banks is misdirected anger, it's the Gubment stupid!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

04 Oct 2011 22:35 #17 by archer
That was an olive branch? really?

Yeah I read your post for content, because I disagree with what you posted doesn't mean I didn't read it.
this is primarily what I responded to:

Let's face it, this a generation that grew up in a society that lets them be the victim instead of holding them accountable for the things they did wrong, Mommy and Daddy likely didn't spank them when they had it coming. If they played sports how many were on soccer teams but no one kept score and every kid got a trophy at the end of the season because it is "good for their self esteem?" A cell phone, laptop, TV, game console replete with plenty of games are entitlements that every kid these days has because they believe it is owed to them and many of their parents enable them.

I found that offensive, and untrue. But hey, I guess you know different kids than I do.

04 Oct 2011 22:47 #18 by otisptoadwater

archer wrote: That was an olive branch? really?

Yeah I read your post for content, because I disagree with what you posted doesn't mean I didn't read it.

Let's face it, this a generation that grew up in a society that lets them be the victim instead of holding them accountable for the things they did wrong, Mommy and Daddy likely didn't spank them when they had it coming. If they played sports how many were on soccer teams but no one kept score and every kid got a trophy at the end of the season because it is "good for their self esteem?" A cell phone, laptop, TV, game console replete with plenty of games are entitlements that every kid these days has because they believe it is owed to them and many of their parents enable them.

I found that offensive, and untrue. But hey, I guess you know different kids than I do.

What does the word many mean to you and how does many suddenly equate to ALL? As for parents and the discipline of their children and competitive sports, there are winners and losers. Preserving a child's "self esteem" while shielding them from the truth doesn't teach them anything about how the real world works. The lesson there is that it is OK to fail so long as you learn from the failure, being wrong is OK too as long as the kids learn not to make the same mistakes. As for all of the electronic stuff kids accumulate these days, it's just a way to retreat from reality and hide from it in their bedrooms. If you find that offensive then all I can offer is that you have the right to be as offended as you want to be; maybe those comments hit too close to home?

04 Oct 2011 23:19 #19 by archer

otisptoadwater wrote:

archer wrote: That was an olive branch? really?

What does the word many mean to you and how does many suddenly equate to ALL? As for parents and the discipline of their children and competitive sports, there are winners and losers. Preserving a child's "self esteem" while shielding them from the truth doesn't teach them anything about how the real world works. The lesson there is that it is OK to fail so long as you learn from the failure, being wrong is OK too as long as the kids learn not to make the same mistakes. As for all of the electronic stuff kids accumulate these days, it's just a way to retreat from reality and hide from it in their bedrooms. If you find that offensive then all I can offer is that you have the right to be as offended as you want to be; maybe those comments hit too close to home?

That was uncalled for, and yes offensive (I guess this is your night to be offensive).....because I disagree with your opinion suddenly it's all about my kids?

Sorry I ever got involved in this "discussion", I simply wanted to point out that your view of todays kids seemed harsh, and was not something I had seen. I'll leave you to your rant, when my kids are brought into a discussion by another poster, who has no knowledge of me, or them (FYI....one runs a very successful business, the other may save your life on I25 someday....I hope you will appreciate it)....I call it quits. You have a good night.

04 Oct 2011 23:44 #20 by otisptoadwater

archer wrote: That was uncalled for, and yes offensive (I guess this is your night to be offensive).....because I disagree with your opinion suddenly it's all about my kids?

Sorry I ever got involved in this "discussion", I simply wanted to point out that your view of todays kids seemed harsh, and was not something I had seen. I'll leave you to your rant, when my kids are brought into a discussion by another poster, who has no knowledge of me, or them (FYI....one runs a very successful business, the other may save your life on I25 someday....I hope you will appreciate it)....I call it quits. You have a good night.

I don't know your kids or you, nor did I call you or any of your family out by name; how did my comments about a generation in general and a silly idea about protesting in the name of occupying wall street suddenly become all about you and yours? At the same time if you want to be offended then feel free to do so, the constitution gives you that freedom. It won't hurt my feelings but it does make me wonder if you are comprehending what you read, perhaps it's too late at night or you need more medication to keep it all straight? Don't tell me I said something that I didn't say, it's too easy to scroll back up the page and read what was actually posted, if you don't follow the context the information was posted in that's not my fault.

Any independent third party care to point out where I posted archer's kids are members of the members of the party of the party to occupy wall street movement or when I defamed archer's cubs? I maintain that I made no such statements.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds