Occupy Wall Street Demands

04 Oct 2011 23:53 #21 by ScienceChic

Conservative Voice wrote: #OccupySesameStreet: The Making of a Meme

What happened when a Wall Street spoof went viral?

Since its launched two weeks ago, the #OccupyWallStreet movement has gone national, spawning copy-cat demonstrations in far-flung locales like Tulsa and Boise. Its members have serious concerns--about income inequality, the influence of large corporations in our political system, and their own financial futures. The #OccupySesameStreet movement? Not so much.

http://motherjones.com/mixed-media/2011 ... samestreet

OMG, some of those Tweets are so damn funny! rofllol
From same source:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I keep seeing claims/assumptions that these are only kids who started/are continuing this movement - it's much bigger in demographic than that:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/10 ... rotest-map
Occupying Wall Street and Beyond (Map of Protest Hot Spots)
Explore MoJo's (updated) interactive map of the anti-Wall Street protests spreading nationwide. Plus: an NYC timeline, a social media roundup, and more.
—By Lauren Ellis and Tasneem Raja
Tue Oct. 4, 2011

A timeline of the Occupy Wall Street movement:
July 13: The Canadian magazine Adbusters makes a call to Occupy Wall Street.
August 30: The hacktivist collective known as Anonymous releases a video answering the call and encouraging others to follow suit.
September 28: Transport Workers Union votes to support Occupy Wall Street; over 700 Continental and United Airline pilots demonstrate in front of Wall Street.

A roundup of interesting Occupy Wall Street coverage: see article for stories, but I will share one I believe to be of utmost importance

http://blog.mattlanger.com/post/10900817922
What Occupy Wall Street and the tea party have in common.
A Proposed Demand
October 1st, 2011

So a thing that bothers me very, very much in politics right now is how we find ourselves with these two opposing groups who share very similar desires and grievances but who utterly fail to see their kinship because of the presumption that partisan opposition excludes any possibility of such kinship. By which I mean: I’m a raging lefty, and I’m supposed to hate the Tea Party simply because… I’m supposed to hate the Tea Party! And yet I actually have a lot in common with them? To wit: we agree the government is f***ed up; we share the same anxiety about the economy; we’re both pissed at Wall St. and pissed at “politics as usual” and pissed at “the way Washington works” and pissed at the small group of people who can game the system at the expense of the vast majority of those of us who lack such access. And ultimately we’re in complete agreement that money is a corrupting influence in our government. This is a lot to have in common with people I’m supposed to hate!

In short: me and the Tea Party can agree that government is f***ed, but me and the Tea Party disagree very much on what government is supposed to mean. So why not take a little time to focus on what we can agree on?

...the thing I want to see more than anything else right now is a movement that has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with process. So let’s for once just agree to agree, because right now 99% of us can agree that government is broken, and that the reason government is broken has a whole lot to do with money.

So how do we fix it? Well, how about this: a completely non-partisan grassroots movement. And by non-partisan I don’t mean one of these feel-good third-party “centrist” groups that pop up and fizzle out again every few years, but a legitimately non-partisan movement: a movement that has nothing at all to do with party and everything to do with the the pre-partisan process of government itself.

But what I do know is that it would mean setting all the childish bullsh*t aside. It would mean being grown-up enough to sit down and talk to people we’re not necessarily comfortable having as much in common with as we do. It would mean dropping the name-calling...It would mean not wasting our time reblogging wearethe99percent and arguing about whose anxieties or debts or financial conditions are somehow more or less legitimate than our own and agreeing instead that right now all of us are pretty well f***ed, and that the only way out is to remember that we’re all f***ed equally, and together.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

04 Oct 2011 23:55 #22 by archer
Replied by archer on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands

otisptoadwater wrote: If you find that offensive then all I can offer is that you have the right to be as offended as you want to be; maybe those comments hit too close to home?

Why would those comments by you hit me "too close to home" unless, as you insinuate,my kids were the type you were ranting about? You chose to make it personal, I was talking about kids in general, and you had to make it about me.

05 Oct 2011 00:05 #23 by archer
I think it would be a mistake for us to dismiss this protest as a bunch of lunatic kids out to make a lot of noise with no goal in mind. If you go back to the beginnings of the Tea Party the Democrats dismissed the Tea Party as a lunatic fringe movement, and we see how well that worked for Democrats. This protest, even with it's wacky goals and odd characters is striking a chord in people, those people who didn't think they had a voice. If it gains momentum, and redefines itself, it could have some real implications for the next election. people kinda like to see David fight Goliath.

05 Oct 2011 00:17 #24 by otisptoadwater

archer wrote:

otisptoadwater wrote: If you find that offensive then all I can offer is that you have the right to be as offended as you want to be; maybe those comments hit too close to home?

Why would those comments by you hit me "too close to home" unless, as you insinuate,my kids were the type you were ranting about?

I don't know you or your kids; be offended it you want to be. Regardless, I think you are making more of the issue than there is to react to unless you and your kids are directly involved in the movement to "occupy Wall Street." Maybe you and yours are fully engaged in the movement and you are ashamed of the lack of direction this group has expressed so far.

Either way it matters not to me, it's ineffective and just proves that most of the latest generation will need greater fortitude to rise to the challenge and over come the failed economy we are living with. Then there are those who would rather wait around for their welfare and unemployment checks, to them I say GET A JOB!

NOTE I DID NOT SAY ARCHER OR ITS KIDS ARE WAITING FOR ANY 'GUBMENT AID NOR ARE THEY ON THE DOLE. I MADE THIS MORE BIGGER AND USED SIMPLE WORDS IN HOPES THAT ARCHER COULD UNDERSTAND IT MORE EASILY.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

05 Oct 2011 00:24 #25 by archer
it must be national "Conservatives are Grumpy Day"..

:chillpill:

05 Oct 2011 02:55 #26 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands

Science Chic wrote: http://blog.mattlanger.com/post/10900817922
A Proposed Demand
October 1st, 2011

So a thing that bothers me very, very much in politics right now is how we find ourselves with these two opposing groups who share very similar desires and grievances but who utterly fail to see their kinship because of the presumption that partisan opposition excludes any possibility of such kinship. By which I mean: I’m a raging lefty, and I’m supposed to hate the Tea Party simply because… I’m supposed to hate the Tea Party! And yet I actually have a lot in common with them? To wit: we agree the government is f***ed up; we share the same anxiety about the economy; we’re both pissed at Wall St. and pissed at “politics as usual” and pissed at “the way Washington works” and pissed at the small group of people who can game the system at the expense of the vast majority of those of us who lack such access. And ultimately we’re in complete agreement that money is a corrupting influence in our government. This is a lot to have in common with people I’m supposed to hate!

In short: me and the Tea Party can agree that government is f***ed, but me and the Tea Party disagree very much on what government is supposed to mean. So why not take a little time to focus on what we can agree on?

...the thing I want to see more than anything else right now is a movement that has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with process. So let’s for once just agree to agree, because right now 99% of us can agree that government is broken, and that the reason government is broken has a whole lot to do with money.

So how do we fix it? Well, how about this: a completely non-partisan grassroots movement. And by non-partisan I don’t mean one of these feel-good third-party “centrist” groups that pop up and fizzle out again every few years, but a legitimately non-partisan movement: a movement that has nothing at all to do with party and everything to do with the the pre-partisan process of government itself.

But what I do know is that it would mean setting all the childish bullsh*t aside. It would mean being grown-up enough to sit down and talk to people we’re not necessarily comfortable having as much in common with as we do. It would mean dropping the name-calling...It would mean not wasting our time reblogging wearethe99percent and arguing about whose anxieties or debts or financial conditions are somehow more or less legitimate than our own and agreeing instead that right now all of us are pretty well f***ed, and that the only way out is to remember that we’re all f***ed equally, and together.

Now here is a statement that makes sense to me.

05 Oct 2011 07:12 #27 by Nmysys
Replied by Nmysys on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands
This is an example of the logic put forth by people like these Occupying Wall Street, the Ultra-Liberal Progressives.

05 Oct 2011 08:57 #28 by Rick
Replied by Rick on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands

Nmysys wrote: This is an example of the logic put forth by people like these Occupying Wall Street, the Ultra-Liberal Progressives.

Aint that the truth...so funny they can't see how dumb they look. They are protesting in the wrong city...should be in DC.

It was always the women, and above all the young ones, who were the most bigoted adherents of the Party, the swallowers of slogans, the amateur spies and nosers−out of unorthodoxy

George Orwell

05 Oct 2011 09:09 #29 by Kate
Replied by Kate on topic Occupy Wall Street Demands
Maybe the Wall Street Protestors have the right idea. They are targeting the corporations instead of the government.

From Crooks and Liars:

Why Occupy Wall Street Embodies The Real Values Of The Boston Tea Party
By Susie Madrak

ThinkProgress points out how little the Koch-manufactured tea party has in common with the real thing, and how the Occupy Wall Street movement embodies the real spirit:

1.) The Original Boston Tea Party Was A Civil Disobedience Action Against A Private Corporation. In 1773, agitators blocked the importation of tea by East India Trading Company ships across the country. In Boston harbor, a band of protesters led by Samuel Adams boarded the corporation’s ships and dumped the tea into the harbor. No East India Trading Company employees were harmed, but the destruction of the company’s tea is estimated to be worth up to $2 million in today’s money. The Occupy Wall Street protests have targetedbig banks like Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, as well as multinational corporations like GE with sit-ins and peaceful rallies.

2.) The Original Boston Tea Party Feared That Corporate Greed Would Destroy America. As Professor Benjamin Carp has argued, colonists perceived the East India Trading Company as a “fearsome monopolistic company that was going to rob them blind and pave the way maybe for their enslavement.” A popular pamphlet called The Alarm agitated for a revolt against the East India Trading Company by warning that the British corporation would devastate America just as it had devastated South Asian colonies: “Their Conduct in Asia, for some Years past, has given simple Proof, how little they regard the Laws of Nations, the Rights, Liberties, or Lives of Men. [...] And these not being sufficient to glut their Avarice, they have, by the most unparalleled Barbarities, Extortions, and Monopolies, stripped the miserable Inhabitants of their Property, and reduced whole Provinces to Indigence and Ruin.”

There are two more points to the argument in the article.

http://crooksandliars.com/susie-madrak/ ... dies-real-

05 Oct 2011 09:23 #30 by FredHayek

Science Chic wrote:

Conservative Voice wrote: #OccupySesameStreet: The Making of a Meme

What happened when a Wall Street spoof went viral?

Since its launched two weeks ago, the #OccupyWallStreet movement has gone national, spawning copy-cat demonstrations in far-flung locales like Tulsa and Boise. Its members have serious concerns--about income inequality, the influence of large corporations in our political system, and their own financial futures. The #OccupySesameStreet movement? Not so much.

http://motherjones.com/mixed-media/2011 ... samestreet

OMG, some of those Tweets are so damn funny! rofllol
From same source:
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I keep seeing claims/assumptions that these are only kids who started/are continuing this movement - it's much bigger in demographic than that:
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/10 ... rotest-map
Occupying Wall Street and Beyond (Map of Protest Hot Spots)
Explore MoJo's (updated) interactive map of the anti-Wall Street protests spreading nationwide. Plus: an NYC timeline, a social media roundup, and more.
—By Lauren Ellis and Tasneem Raja
Tue Oct. 4, 2011

A timeline of the Occupy Wall Street movement:
July 13: The Canadian magazine Adbusters makes a call to Occupy Wall Street.
August 30: The hacktivist collective known as Anonymous releases a video answering the call and encouraging others to follow suit.
September 28: Transport Workers Union votes to support Occupy Wall Street; over 700 Continental and United Airline pilots demonstrate in front of Wall Street.

A roundup of interesting Occupy Wall Street coverage: see article for stories, but I will share one I believe to be of utmost importance

http://blog.mattlanger.com/post/10900817922
A Proposed Demand
October 1st, 2011

:lol: Liked the Occupy Sesame Street bit.

And also agree that the TEA Party and left wing radicals agree on many points. They are both against corporate welfare and bailouts. Too bad the candidates on the Republican side who agree with this have got little support. If Obama, Perry, or Romney win next November, expect Wall Street to continue on.
And I am really disappointed that no Dem to the left of Obama is choosing to contest the primaries.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds